Fruits of the third FiguremasterLes/DarkArtist visit...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figuremasterles

Gonna need a bigger site!
Reaction score
Well, Josh came up to see me for a few days and did we stay busy!
I put some of my regular work aside for a day or two, while together we spent time painting stuff and talking and sharing some techniques and methods.

One thing I am quite proud of, is since I haven't had much time to get my own Hicks and Reese figures finished yet, and Josh and I did meet actor Michael Biehn together back in January, I let him help me finish my own Biehn character figs!
While I painted on some other stuff, I watched and picked up on his method of metal dinging and DADirtyin', as he dinged up my Hicks armor, and painted my Reese pants. I ran the DVD player as my computer wouldn't run the TERMINATOR for us to get refs... and got still shots to go by for the pants, that we both were happy with, once and for all!
Not a bad way to spend the day I'll tell you! Cool stuff to learn for both of us!

Here he is DADirtying his own Hudson BDU's
DAdirtyin1.jpg

DAdirtyin2.jpg

Cool to see for the first time. I had done my Hudson, so it was cool to see how he did it.

Then, there was some comparitive Challenge figure pics! (Sorry Chase, no X-rated action this go round! :lol)

Babes001.jpg

And a great look at his Russian girl's face. I really liked it!

RB001.jpg

Then, some shots of my just about finished Michael Beihn set (On Reese, I still need to do some shoe straps and a belt for the coat, and then resolve some minor stuff on Hicks...and yes, DekDave, I am working on your Reese's as I post! Learned a lot from this, dude! :rock )

MYReeseHicks1.jpg

These are still my headpaints, and I did the shirt on Reese, and had already done some of the upgrades on Hicks' armor, the "Born Again" hole and back details, and arms and all. Added his tattoo at long last!

MYReeseHicks2a.jpg

All in all, a great time!

I am sure Josh has some stuff to add too, when he gets back in.
Thanks J for all the shared fun bro! :rock

Wish more of us could meet and share some art stuff too! Maybe one day, we will be able to.

Last edited:
Cool, You would have learn loads off eachother... As good as referring off eachother on MB is, nothing beats physical interaction to develope technique! Bet you both had a blast!

DAdirtyin1.jpg

Now that's some technique.....your soo good you can paint with your eyes closed :chew

:lol:rotfl:lol

Yeah, the flash was pretty bright... and I was trying to not laugh because Les was really having a blast watching me. :lol

I had a really great time, and working next to Les was the highlight of the weekend. We hung out and talked shop.... custom ideas and random stuff. Watched Near Dark, which totally rocked my world. I drove home in the dark thinking about that film the entire way.... really badass.

And not only being fun to hang out, work on some of Les' own greatest works but to also work side by side and learn new things... it was great. Les rules... thanks for the great weekend, I can't wait for the next. :rock

DSCN3059.jpg

DSCN3060.jpg

DSCN3075.jpg

Cool stuff...and near Dark is the greatest Vampire movie ever made...

I imagine working on your art can be a lonely affair, with self doubt or fear of the unknown always lurking about, and sometimes tapping on your shoulder. I bet this collusion has killed some of those fears and doubts, having been able to bounce ideas and experiences off one another. It will undoubtedly refresh both your enthusiasm and eagerness to try out your newly learned techniques. Good to see two artisans working together. In our world there need not be one, there can be many. Well two is a good start, yeah? Brothers in brushes. Yo.

Now that I've had a day to rest up from the visit (two nights up to 3am or later, and I don't do late well anymore :lol ), I am so glad he came up.
Lots of fun and growth indeed!

As for Near Dark figures...I must admit, since the one autograph I got from Lance was on a pic of Jesse from Near Dark (instead of a Bishop), I want to make a figure of him too. Have for ages. I'll get to the others one day, but Jesse is an all time favorite character. And, I got to tell Lance Henriksen that in person! That was so cool!! He loved playing him so much, he told me that he and Bill Paxton still want to make a prequel movie about Jesse and Severin. He told me Jesse was one of his favorite roles.
If you get the nice, deluxe DVD of the movie, he tells some funny stories of things they did in character behind the scenes while making that movie.
Love that one. Always will.
And yeah, all that dirt, lends itself to a DA custom set for sure! Go for it J! :rock

Is the Frank Black figure any good? I've read Michael Crawford's review but I wondered how much was the paint and how much was the sculpt.

I really like the figure, but the paint needs some work. He has some wonky eyes and the hair looks odd the way it was painted. I originally bought it to turn into an Aliens Bishop, but the tailoring of the outfit made me change my mind. Eventually, I plan on having the head repainted to look more appropriate. Hope that helps.

If you guys could get together a project, or even some great headsculpts for Near Dark I'm sure you'd get a lot of interested parties!

You can bet your butt I am gathering for a Jesse!

LanceH001.jpg

You bought yourself some time, son!

Back