First time sculpting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indeclinekills

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you guys can share with me any ideas tricks and knowledge to sculpting my first head sculpt
I have a pound of super sculpty (pink kind soft I think) and wire plus some sculpting tools I picked up. Thanks alot guys ANY TIPS WILL DO

I recommend getting in the habit of plotting out the features on the face of your subject first. This is something I wish I had started doing myself. You basically find reference pics of the face and grid out the relative relation of the space between the eyes. How that space relates to the location of the nose, etc. It REALLY helps.

Before you start a serious sculpt, I suggest you just have fun making a quick throwaway sculpt. Thats what I did on my first time.
I took about 1.5 hours just quickly sculpting, not really trying to much.
I suggest staying away from standard human sculpts to start with, and instead try a monster/zombie sculpt.

This is my first ever attempt at sculpting(YUK!) -
picture.php

VS My 3rd and 4th attempts -
SAM_4960.jpg

I think its incredibly important to get as many reference pics as you can, showing all angles, and study them a lot, and often while you are sculpting.
Also, you must have patience and take your time. The more time and care you put in, the better it will look.
With sculpey clay, you have as much time as you want to make it look as good as you want.
Jump in!

I recommend getting in the habit of plotting out the features on the face of your subject first. This is something I wish I had started doing myself. You basically find reference pics of the face and grid out the relative relation of the space between the eyes. How that space relates to the location of the nose, etc. It REALLY helps.

Yup. I do it using MS Paint lol
I often compare my sculpt in MS Paint compared to some of my reference pics.

Here is an example from my old Myers thread -
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3285310&postcount=41

Nice start, dude. I started with super sculpey then went to sculpey firm because the the super sculpey got so warm in my hands and everything ended up deforming.

It's the angle but yeah it's chucky lol I already shaved it and in person it looks way better, yeah I need the grey sculpty because the original does deform, that's another good tip lol yeah I don't have confidence yet but I'm sure the more I practice the more ill learn. There was this book that I was told about along time ago that was all about this stuff but for the life of me I can't remember lol atleast I have you guys lol THANKS ALOT EVERYONE.

I also bought some better tools that should work better, (I'm using those cheap wood tools for kids) :p so once I get these better tools and more practice who knows lol I baked my first head and I must say it was a very cool process haha after 15 mins I was shocked on how perfectly hard and smooth it came out ill post pics

Awesome! Do your pics make your sculpt look thinner? That always happens to me...:gah:
But yeah, definitely a great start. Blows mine away.
Just keep at it.

Another question, could I debacle with more sculpty and everything will be fine? Meaning it can't over bake or get ruined the second time? Thanks.

That's alot terminator_fan_game your awesome for all the feedback and info I appreciate it alot.

Back