Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't imagine Fox thinks those other movies failed because they took the "classic" approach. .

My meaning was that Fox might figure that since they've already tried the classic approach twice and failed, they'll try a different formula this time out--i.e. modernizing and targeting YA.

I'd much prefer the classic route myself. My all time favorite pick or Reed Richards would have been a 40ish Jeff Goldblum. For Sue Storm, it would have been Chralize Theron. CGI Thing of course, and even though Evans was the best cast member, he's a better Cap. I think a teen heartthrob type would have the right pick for Johnny. Like Zac Efron, which would have brought in the teen girls at the time.

zac-efron.jpg
[/URL]https://media.photobucket.com/user/raito-009-yagami/media/zac-efron.jpg.html

Last edited:
Jeff Goldblum - huh, never thought of him, he's of course excellent & not a bad choice at all.

You could pick any number of blonde actresses to play Sue - it's not a demanding role, but hell no to Zeek F-Bomb. :lol

Not familiar with Efron, but Theron would be a swell Sue. I don't really see Goldblum as Reed. He can pull off brilliant scientist, but I can't take him seriously anymore. Maybe if we could go back in time and abduct the Goldblum who was in the Fly, but now I think he's such a total caricature of himself that he can't come off as very believable to me in a serious role. His being cast in the Wes Anderson movie seemed like a perfect fit for him. I think this would be a great Reed in a "Classic" FF movie:

sXv9NHK.png

My meaning was that Fox might figure that since they've already tried the classic approach twice and failed, they'll try a different formula this time out--i.e. modernizing and targeting YA.

I'd much prefer the classic route myself. My all time favorite pick or Reed Richards would have been a 40ish Jeff Goldblum. For Sue Storm, it would have been Chralize Theron. CGI Thing of course, and even though Evans was the best cast member, he's a better Cap. I think a teen heartthrob type would have the right pick for Johnny. Like Zac Efron, which would have brought in the teen girls at the time.

Sounds good :hi5:

Not familiar with Efron, but Theron would be a swell Sue. I don't really see Goldblum as Reed. He can pull off brilliant scientist, but I can't take him seriously anymore. Maybe if we could go back in time and abduct the Goldblum who was in the Fly, but now I think he's such a total caricature of himself that he can't come off as very believable to me in a serious role. His being cast in the Wes Anderson movie seemed like a perfect fit for him. I think this would be a great Reed in a "Classic" FF movie:

sXv9NHK.png
Wouldn't he be a tad old?

They dolled him up in Iron Man, but he has to be pushing 60.

He looks his true age in Mad Men (that's as far as my referencing stretches.)

He's old if you want to do Ultimates, but I think of classic Reed as being somewhere in his 40s or maybe early 50s. Most importantly, I can easily imagine him saying these things:

cn3y5pb.jpg

cDlvWxr.jpg

XanEUnR.png

QXvAvW3.jpg

He's old if you want to do Ultimates, but I think of classic Reed as being somewhere in his 40s or maybe early 50s. Most importantly, I can easily imagine him saying these things:

cn3y5pb.jpg

cDlvWxr.jpg

XanEUnR.png

QXvAvW3.jpg
Ahh.. the old days of zero PC, nicely referenced. :rotfl :lol

Well, I'd have thought he'd be somewhere in the mid 40s range - but 50-ish?

cn3y5pb.jpg

cDlvWxr.jpg

XanEUnR.png

QXvAvW3.jpg

Oh man,

*runs to share with the wife.

Jye if you're doing it, please pick me, im a bulky filipino and i think i got the rocks to play Ben Grimm :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol

Last edited:

cn3y5pb.jpg

cDlvWxr.jpg

XanEUnR.png

QXvAvW3.jpg

Wow.

Impossible to gauge the quality of the story. Actors seem capable enough. Doom looks beyond ridiculous, but so did the future X-Men in DOFP, and it was the best comic movie of the year. "Found footage" concept seems questionable, but it could work. I'll reserve judgment as I do in most cases.

Agreed.

Will have to wait to see the promotional art and trailers.

Same here, only reasonable thing to do really.

The first two FF movies performed subpar at best. Sure the story, direction and casting were all sorely lacking, but even if FOX had poured a bucketload of money into the movie, gotten a better director, a great story, a top notch cast and created a CGI Thing as they should have, would it have done that much better? Look at Green Lantern. I personally think Marvel's Fantastic Four in the hands of a good studio and director could be a blockbuster. However FOX is probably figuring that they have gone the classic route twice to no great avail and so rather than a simple reboot they are going to try a new direction. If the movie tanks, then I'd guess they'll offer to sell the license back as opposed to simply letting it lapse. However, if the movie performs great or even very good, then you'll have another X-Men situation and the license will be locked up with FOX for the foreseeable future. It's an unfortunate situation, not only in terms of the movie but with FF merchandise and comics, but that's how business works.

That's probably exactly it.

And it's not unique to fox. Pretty much every superhero reboot has gone in a more edgy direction or a different version of the source to differentiate it from the previous movies. Batman Begins, Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Man of steel st al.

I agree if the movie performs badly they'll offer to sell it back, in that case it's Disney's decision if they want to buy, if not Fox will hold onto it for the next decade. That's why I'm hoping it'll be good, as it's likely the only gurenteed Fantastic Four movie for a while.

Last edited:

sXv9NHK.png

You'd have to hop into the way-back machine for optimum casting. I'm talking about Jurassic Park/Fly era Goldblum, when he was around 40. Same with Zac Efron -- I'm talking the 17-year-old version when girls were ga-ga about him and my daughter had High School Musical posters on her wall. Charlize Theron at around 28-30.

I personally coulsn't see John Slattery pull it off. He's actually in his mid 50s, he just went prematurely gray in his 30s. But he's always played sort of a sleazy type rather than a scientist. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a while before a classic FF movie is ever cast. Right now the closest we might come to it is some kind of fan-made piece like these amazing CGI vids for Iron Man.

IRON MAN Mk Z HD - YouTube
Hulkbuster test shot - YouTube

Back