Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny; when I opened the box to look at my long-awaited Clavius suit, the first thing I saw was an owners manual for the 'TBLeague Super Flexible Seamless Body'. I think Executive Replicas is trying to tell us something... The owner's manual doesn't specify a particular model number, so I'm just going to buy whichever one has body proportions that best approximate Haywood Floyd. (I definitely will NOT choose the M36A, because it's very tall.) I like the weight of them. Their super flexibility and soft material should make it easier to get them into the suit without damaging anything. The original Dave and Frank figures do not have rubber seamless bodies, but I think at the time of their release the only seamless bodies that were available were too big and muscular. The more slender ones came out later.
My Clavius suit came in last week. Curious to see which TB League body would work best. I think it might help to wrap the limbs in plastic wrap so they slide into the suit easier. However, if the Floyd headsculpt has a neck, that would be a problem for a TB body.

My Clavius suit came in last week. Curious to see which TB League body would work best. I think it might help to wrap the limbs in plastic wrap so they slide into the suit easier. However, if the Floyd headsculpt has a neck, that would be a problem for a TB body.
The neck joint issue is very important, so I think the target body needs to be fixed before the head is made. I think it's best to find the best one on TB League like Anthrapoid said.

The neck joint issue is very important, so I think the target body needs to be fixed before the head is made. I think it's best to find the best one on TB League like Anthrapoid said.
I agree. I'm going to recommend two options that will both work:

A) The TBLeague JIAOU DOLL (seamless rubber with stainless steel skeleton, costs about $70.00)
B) The TBLeague AT011 (Not seamless rubber, costs about $35.00)

Both of these options have the same neck configuration, so either should be fine.
When I talk to the sculptor to work out the details, I'll tell him this is the neck style we want, and I'll show him the same photos.

Attachments

• JIAOU TBLeague.jpg
    JIAOU TBLeague.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
  • TBLeague AT011.jpg
    TBLeague AT011.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0

A) The TBLeague JIAOU DOLL (seamless rubber with stainless steel skeleton, costs about $70.00)

Both of these options have the same neck configuration, so either should be fine.
When I talk to the sculptor to work out the details, I'll tell him this is the neck style we want, and I'll show him the same photos.
Thank you for the very important information. ;) (y)
I will go with The TBLeague JIAOU DOLL.
Thanks again and Best Regards.

Hello~ Which type of JIAOU DOLL's body color should I prepare, Normal or Suntan?

I'm still waiting on my Clavius from Entertainment Earth, surprised to see BBTS got it in and EE hasn't yet. You'd think they'd hit around the same time, especially since they're not that far apart geographically.

Are the same recommendations valid for Discovery red space suit (rereleased one)?

Are the same recommendations valid for Discovery red space suit (rereleased one)?
I would say yes. Keep in mind, I am not speaking for Executive Replicas in an official capacity- I just do freelance research, graphic art, and occasional sculpting for them. That said, when I opened the box for my Clavius suit, an owners manual for the TBLeague JIAOU body fell out. I took it as a hint.

I was impressed Timewalker Toys honored the $359 preorder after almost 3 years, it arrived two weeks ago. I'm contemplating the head sculpt offered above.

To date I've just put a headless body in the alternative suits to have them pose well as empty suits.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1660914112439.jpg
    FB_IMG_1660914112439.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
Any advice on how to get a body in one of the empty suits? which body did you use?
I just used a generic male body from ebay as i figured its essentially just a clothes stand and I'm discarding the arms and feet. I feel the bodies just give the empty suits more presence and form even when on their stands.

I originally purchased the White Prototype Suit just as a contingency in case the Clavius Suit was never produced. The plan was to spray it silver and hopefully add a modded life support system to it. I like having it now, as a contrast to the colored suits.

I'll admit it took some futzing and squirming to get the bodies into the suits. Also for some reason the green suit is designed differently to the others and the 'skin' is much more fragile. That was a nightmare to get done. It's already bubbling, a bit disappointed with that. Kid gloves here on in with it.

Plan to tackle the Clavius Suit today...

Attachments

• 20220819_104523.jpg
    20220819_104523.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_104829.jpg
    20220819_104829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_110424.jpg
    20220819_110424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well we got there after a few squirms and squeezes. An exquisite piece!

I also have the Monolith so ill need to dig that out for a set up at some point. Well worth the wait!

Attachments

• 20220819_141258.jpg
    20220819_141258.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_141416.jpg
    20220819_141416.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_141353.jpg
    20220819_141353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220819_141334.jpg
    20220819_141334.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Finally set up my Clavius suit today. I used a cheap TrueType body off eBay. End result looks great, but it was tricky getting the suit on. I had to remove the lower legs and reassemble them inside the suit. I also added some foam padding to fill out the body. Not sure if its possible to get a Phicen body in the suit. Love to see if anyone successfully tried.

IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg

Great News Anthrapoid ! Thanks for ramrodding this project.
I have a couple of questions on the TBLeague AT011 body, which I now have inside the suit.
1) The wrist peg balls are too small to engage the glove sockets on the suit. I'm really new-ish to the 1:6 world. Are there other pegs I can order/purchase to fit?
2) I ended up separating the body at the waist to fit into the suit and I've had difficulty seating the body back together. Any tips?

2001 was such a landmark film in many respects. After seeing this film I began reading the complete published works of Arthur C Clarke. I was hooked on SciFi! I'm really excited about actually having Dr Floyd in the suit! I did get one of the 1;6 monoliths as well and plan to display them together.

Keep well and safe, All

Please supply the requisite photoshopped images as per the usual board discussion terms of reference with red circles/arrows to highlight your adjustments and corrections so we may all see how the offness could have been avoided.

Great News Anthrapoid ! Thanks for ramrodding this project.
I have a couple of questions on the TBLeague AT011 body, which I now have inside the suit.
1) The wrist peg balls are too small to engage the glove sockets on the suit. I'm really new-ish to the 1:6 world. Are there other pegs I can order/purchase to fit?
2) I ended up separating the body at the waist to fit into the suit and I've had difficulty seating the body back together. Any tips?

2001 was such a landmark film in many respects. After seeing this film I began reading the complete published works of Arthur C Clarke. I was hooked on SciFi! I'm really excited about actually having Dr Floyd in the suit! I did get one of the 1;6 monoliths as well and plan to display them together.

Keep well and safe, All
Garret, the glove hands of the suit are not posable. They can only rotate around, which is also the way they are locked onto the steel cuff rings. Therefore, the wrist pegs on the body don't need to be plugged into the hands. If it were possible to plug the wrist pegs into the glove sockets, (if they were compatible) it would provide a more firm connection to the gloves, but it wouldn't add any extra mobility to the joint. There are various wrist peg adapters for sale on eBay and other places, but I wouldn't know what size to get.

...and by the way- I sculpted the prototype for the 1/6 scale monolith and its base. I hope you're enjoying having it like I am. I'm also looking forward to displaying Haywood Floyd next to my monolith after the head sculpt project is finished.

Back