Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some news today.

1) The president of ER wants me to take a sort of 'survey' to see how many people would be interested in the 2001 Stewardesses from the Orion and Aries scenes. They're considering doing a three-pack with the black, white, and Asian stewardesses, with full costumes, food trays, and food boxes. (I did the research for everything) If that sounds good, let me know here! If enough people are interested, they will get produced.

2) The Clavius suits are delayed by the COVID-19 virus, but will come as soon as possible. Might take a few months, but they're coming.

3) This last bit of great news must be in the form of a hint: Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Yes, I would buy all of those. Everything from this line! ...IF I didn?t know about the price jump of the Clavius suits. The prices for the red and yellow were already painfully heigh - and the price for the silver suit is ridiculous. Sorry. I never thought I would say this, but I don?t think I?ll be able to allow myself to buy anything else from this line unless they have a very good explanation why.

Yes, I would buy all of those. Everything from this line! ...IF I didn?t know about the price jump of the Clavius suits. The prices for the red and yellow were already painfully heigh - and the price for the silver suit is ridiculous. Sorry. I never thought I would say this, but I don?t think I?ll be able to allow myself to buy anything else from this line unless they have a very good explanation why.
Two words: Warner Brothers. They raised the licensing fee to outrageous levels, so ER had no choice. Oh- by the way, the hint above is regarding another big 2001 item. Also, the Moonwatcher is still on the table. In fact, we had a talk about a good way to make it today.

Last edited:
thanks, but I would rather have this in 1/6 scale.

View attachment 482649

Wow, how cool would that be. Hard to get the fur right, but what a display with the bone and obelisk.

There is that Sta Ace bobble head that has a decent sculpt on the head, though is probably too large to use as the basis for a 1/6 scale figure.

And I've seen the 1/8 kit but wow that pod in 1/6 with the suited fig in the claws - amazing display too.

So many iconic displays from 2001. The stewardess I would never have thought of, but the one that walks around the circle is a pretty iconic moment. Not sure of the need for a three pack though.

Body Snatcher = EVA Pod. Definitely interested in that, but will the previous Bowman figure be able to fit into it? He isn't very flexible.

I like the stewardess idea, but a 3-pack is overkill. Much prefer to get another Dave and Frank in blue flight suit with improved sculpts.

ER needs to rerelease Bowman and Poole. Great demand and look at the secondary market prices-whoa

Yeah, they'd be CRAZY to do a pod without a re-release/re-do of Bowman and Poole. Otherwise you're just selling to those who have the figs originally and perhaps some model aficionados (those who'd be interested in a 2001 pod would likely already have the slightly smaller 1/8 model.)

I really liked the figs when they came out (but yeah, headsculpts could be a bit better) but had there been a set of pod + figs available, I would have jumped on it. If they offer a Bowman + Poole + Pod option I'm 100% in - pod alone I'd think about but probably not as its more just a "model vehicle display" than a 1/6 display to me.

For me, the "ultimate" 2001 1/6 displays would be:

Bowman in pod with Poole's body in claws

Man-ape with bone on desert base with obelisk behind

Possibly:

Flight attendant in special circular door display where she's either sideways or upside down

Bowman in the HAL deactivation scene in special computer array display

I will take any 2001...I agree that a 3 pack of the Stewardesses may be overkill but given a choice between 3 or 0 I will take the 3. Releasing the Pod without re-releasing at least Bowman or Poole but preferably both will be a huge mistake. I would point to sales of the post Kirk / Spock Star Trek figures as clear evidence of this. Moon watcher would be my most wanted figure from this line.

Will the 3-pack of stewardesses include the figures or be just the outfits?... :wink1:

To be honest, while the stewardess would be cool, it wouldn't be a must-have for me, unless the price was "reasonable" and adding it would not cost comparable to a Hot Toys Ironman figure.

I'm not sure how much Warner Bros. are charging in licensing but Moebius Models have been releasing "2001" kits for a while and at reasonable prices. Even Master Replicas has some items, such as flash drives, that are not priced out of this world...

While they did mess up the face (and strangely the face got worse with each reissue - the A New Hope version is the best) the Hot Toys Chewbacca figure is proof that a man-ape/moonwatcher figure could be produced and look excellent. The older POTA figures also are a good comparison in terms of faces, but they were almost completely clothed with minimal actual fur.

Critically, the man-ape's face has no fur, so could be 100% sculpted (just fur around the outer edges) and therefore much, much easier to produce than the Chewbacca face, which had fur all over it, on cheeks, chin, forehead and even a tiny moustache that was super tricky to get right.

Moonwatcher would be my #1
EVA Pod would be great if it’s not crazy expensive.
Might be interested in the stewardesses 3-pack depending on price. Are you talking about 3 different uniforms? I recall there being a white and a pink uniform. Would be helpful to see reference pics. I also like the idea of having a zero gravity display base.
Right now I’m holding on Clavius until I get some other POs pushed through the pipeline, so it’s possible I could miss out if I haven’t already.
I decided to get the purple suit before the green, so may have to try to track down the green in a month or two.
If new Bowman and Poole figs are done please redo the heads and offer separately. The likenesses need work and they’re a little big.

I'm responding to several different people here:

It's not set in stone yet, but I think the reason for a stewardess 3-pack is so that the three ethnic variations are represented. I mean, if they only made one version, which ethnicity would be chosen? If you bought the 3-pack, selling one or two on eBay would be easy enough, if you didn't want all three. It's also possible that it might be cut down to a 2-pack.

Also: In all my life I've never seen any hint of a pink suit on a stewardess. Maybe it was the lighting in a certain shot that made it look pink?

About the Clavius suit: The delay will probably be a few months because of the COVID virus, and because of the high price I don't expect they will sell out on pre-order just yet. You have time. Having said that, I was told that there are still Monoliths available for $299. I actually love mine; it's huge. The smooth surface and degree of reflectivity looks surprisingly accurate to the film, and the lunar base looks great. (I know I'm a little biased because I sculpted the prototype, but anyway...) It would be a shame to wait several months for the Clavius suit, but miss out on a monolith to display with it.

As the prospect of a Moonwatcher gradually comes more clearly into focus, I'm going to suggest to ER that they hire me to make an alternate 'African Desert' base, so the monolith can be displayed with the Moonwatcher. But, I doubt very much that the monolith itself will be re-released, so I would consider picking one up if I were you.

I will try to urge ER to re-release Dave & Frank, but I have no idea how that will go. The virus really has messed up their timeline for production for the present, and they already have several projects on hold.

afe8fb95d27c457c650bf019287207a7.jpg2001glossy3.jpg2001-a-space-odyssey-1968-003-costume-design-white-suit-for-women-1000x750.jpg

Last edited:

It's not set in stone yet, but I think the reason for a stewardess 3-pack is so that the three ethnic variations are represented. I mean, if they only made one version, which ethnicity would be chosen? If you bought the 3-pack, selling one or two on eBay would be easy enough, if you didn't want all three. It's also possible that it might be cut down to a 2-pack.

Also: In all my life I've never seen any hint of a pink suit on a stewardess. Maybe it was the lighting in a certain shot that made it look pink?

About the Clavius suit: The delay will probably be a few months because of the COVID virus, and because of the high price I don't expect they will sell out on pre-order just yet. You have time. Having said that, I was told that there are still Monoliths available for $299. I actually love mine; it's huge. The smooth surface and degree of reflectivity looks surprisingly accurate to the film, and the lunar base looks great. (I know I'm a little biased because I sculpted the prototype, but anyway...) It would be a shame to wait several months for the Clavius suit, but miss out on a monolith to display with it.

As the prospect of a Moonwatcher gradually comes more clearly into focus, I'm going to suggest to ER that they hire me to make an alternate 'African Desert' base, so the monolith can be displayed with the Moonwatcher. But, I doubt very much that the monolith itself will be re-released, so I would consider picking one up if I were you.

I will try to urge ER to re-release Dave & Frank, but I have no idea how that will go. The virus really has messed up their timeline for production for the present, and they already have several projects on hold.

View attachment 482658View attachment 482659View attachment 482660

Wonder if anyone in Europe would have the monolith in store... think I?d pay $300 for it, but with customs and shipping it would get out of reach...

I was lucky enough to visit the 2001 exhibit in Astoria Queens NY the week before the city shut down. Here's some snaps. Note the Clavius suit has a black zipper.

BTW I think the pink outfit referred to earlier was the outfit worn by the receptionist who checks Floyd into Voice Print Identification.

IMG_5276.jpgIMG_5248.jpgIMG_5254.jpgIMG_5259.jpg

Beyond the design (and color) coolness of the spacesuits, to me the moonwatcher/man-ape + bone with a desert display base and monolith behind (even if it's slightly underscaled) would be the "ultimate" iconic 2001 1/6 display. Perhaps with a small forced-perspective spaceship that connects to (and sits above/behind) the top of the monolith.

To me the stewardess is 100% about the zero-gravity circular display base - that's the iconic moment for them (and just do whatever ethnicity that stewardess was.) Having her displayed as either horizontal or upside down really makes the display.

Re-releasing Dave & Frank with updated heads that are more in line with current 1/6 would be almost like a relaunch of the entire line, especially with stuff like the pod and man-ape as possibilities.

Just seems to me that this mix is a more "complete" line-up that will engage a wider 1/6 collector base. The spacesuits are super cool as a V.1 line but having the pod, man-ape, Dave/Frank and possibly a stewardess as a group is a good "set" equiavlent to stuff like Hot Toys' Delorean/Marty/Doc and BW's ECTO-1, the four GB guys and Slimer.

Back