EXCLUSIVE LURTZ up on ebay already !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: EXCLUSIVE LURTZ down on ebay already !!

And now it seems he is gone....:confused:

For the best I suppose. I hate scalpers too, beyond belief. I was in a Toys R Us one time and a young man had a Star Wars figure in his hand. Well this other guy came by and said "hey can I see that" and the kid excitedly said "sure" and handed it to him and the guy walked off with it. The kid didn't understand what had just happened. I told one of the stock guys what happened and he when in the back and got another for the kid but it twisted my knot, so I know what the anti-scalper feeling stems from. I have to admit though that my wife and I were shocked when two weeks ago we found out how much our Orthanc and Witch King went for on Ebay. We had no idea. It did feel kind of neat knowing that something you had was rather valuable. It's like the farm folk on the antique road show who find out their ugly as hell glass goldfish is a tiffany original and worth $35,000 :google . I think collectors should have every shot at it, but it's always nice to have it appreciate. BTW, I just cancelled my Spc. Lurtz when I really sat down and figured out how much I wanted to spend on the 1/6 LOTR AND SW so you wait list people...keep an eye on your e-mail box.

tomandshell said:
What do they care if a piece doesn't grow to eight or nine times its original value?

Oh, trust me they care. Something like that happening creates a tremendous buzz about a particular company/line. If the pieces all went down in value, then people would just wait for Ebay. I myself have done this on all the later SS/W pieces. Why pay $300+ shipping for Gandalfax when you can get it for $175 or less?

I sincerely believe that part of the reason that Lurtz sold out so quickly is because many people feel that this piece will skyrocket due to the 750 ES. I don't think that will happen, but I bet there are many average Joes out there that think it will.

I will say that they are handling all the new ES's in a good way. The 12" SW ES's and the new Lurtz ES are perfect, IMO. Let the exclusive sell out in a day or so to the hardcores like us, and keep the regular around for those who missed out. It's a win/win situation.

elwood49 said:
Oh, trust me they care. Something like that happening creates a tremendous buzz about a particular company/line.

Yup, I agree. It's only good for SS if it does. It allows them to puff out their chest against the other collectible companies and say did you see our Balrog selling for 2k on ebay. Just like Nike the last 20 years has been able to do with the Air Jordan line.

elwood49 said:
I will say that they are handling all the new ES's in a good way. The 12" SW ES's and the new Lurtz ES are perfect, IMO. Let the exclusive sell out in a day or so to the hardcores like us, and keep the regular around for those who missed out. It's a win/win situation.

Again, I agree. The ES are more in line with what most people want to see which as a whole is good since it keeps the complaints to a minimum. Yup, let the people that really want the exclusive get it with an ES that is cool and allow the regular to be around for those that missed out or just didn't want the exclusive.

Assuming the exclusives will "only" appreciate up to $500, I suspect that the regular editions will be found on ebay for signficantly less--I'd imagine they would settle for 200-250. So if you're not into exclusives, might be worth your while to just wait =)

I'm not sure Exclusive version will increase that much considering the only difference is an extra bow, which I would of killed to get... but that's my own craziness. Daddy Rogs are one of a kind, there are no regular versions except the baby ones which doesn't compare. I don't think it's realistic for scalpers to think they can get much more for the exclusive if the regular versions sell for 200-300 bucks less on ebay. Then again, people aren't terribly logical. Happy New Year!

Oh, I think sideshow cares what happens on ebay... it affects their selling ability. There are plenty of people that buy because they know it won't be a regular knick knack that exponentially drops in price the minute you bring it home. Sideshow mentions at times on their site how much their collectibles are worth on the secondary market. I, for one, would not have been a big sideshow collector if their stuff didn't hold some value. Investment is not the primary objective, but I don't want a money pit for a hobby either. In some ways this is the worst kind of hobby because it keeps you spending money.

Last edited:
After watching most of their stuff take a beating on ebay, I figured I would wait and purchase it on Ebay, but with a 750 ES for the exclusive, I figured it was good enough to justify the purchase. Personally, I don't expect Lurtz to go much more than retail, which is fine by me; I just didn't want to go through the misery of seeing it at a discount price on Ebay.

Last edited:
In my opinion the PF Lurtz simply has too big of an ES to rise significantly in price in the aftermarket, at least for a couple of years. 750 sounds reasonable until you throw in the regular edition numbers, which will probably number at 2000, at the very least. Add the fact that the piece is expensive to begin with and that there's not going to be the large number of potential buyers with that kind of disposable income. This is certainly one line that will not have thousands of "completists" collecting it, simply because of the high initial pricing (and larger display space needed because of the size of these pieces). My guess is that the exclusive will sell for about retail, perhaps a little more, while the regular version will hang around 275-300. Eventually, as the line starts growing, serious collectors that are new to the line will begin looking for the early releases such as Lurtz and then perhaps we'll see a rise in aftermarket pricing. That's just my guess.

The Exclusives idea was pretty brillant on sideshow's part, but I wonder in the long run whether it was good for their collectibles. It's very strange. I go to the dealers for regular versions because they are cheaper, of course, ebay is turning out to be cheaper than them! :horror The regular versions suffer market share because hard core fans fight the internet traffic every Fri and get the exclusive. If the regular version gets left out in the cold, then the line freezes. I don't particularly understand why x-files, bond, and buffy are selling so poorly now. It takes months to sell out of those, even exclusive versions. :confused: Unlike POTA which had talks of ending, none of the others did as far as I know.

Back