English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I think we're all guilty of expecting too much from our new signings. Ozil would be that for us. I think we've been way too critical of him also.

Again, Ozil's good but not great. Further, English league is different than La Liga. They'll get better, the Ozil's and the Maria's.
But then, hey at least you lads at the Emirates have Sanchez to rejoice at. What a tremendous signing he has been. We on the other hand, well.....

Again, Ozil's good but not great. Further, English league is different than La Liga. They'll get better, the Ozil's and the Maria's.
But then, hey at least you lads at the Emirates have Sanchez to rejoice at. What a tremendous signing he has been. We on the other hand, well.....

Sanchez and Santi have raced past Ozil.

United need to start all over again. The big name signings isn't working. Plus they might need a new coach next year. Shambles.

Sanchez = amazing

and that's not me rubbing it in. He just amazes me on a constant basis with the effort he puts in. He has embarrassed our squad a number of times this season by making everyone else look pedestrian :lol

VaSith, no doubt Ozil has to step it up and I believe he can I just think some players take more (even a lot more) time than others. I've said the same for Theo for many years now so I could be very wrong :( :lol

Decent first half by united , but half-time subs ruined it. LVG wanted to play it safe, which pretty much underlines his whole philosophy . Fellaini gets another full game in which he does nothing but give away free kicks . Valencia had another abysmal game - surely it's time for Rafael soon?

Oliver was piss poor. Bellerin should've walked, but he bottled that decision. Then after giving Arsenal free kicks all over the pitch for practically nothing, he books Di Maria for diving after slight contact (quite similar situation to minutes earlier where Sanchez got a free kick on the edge of our box under minimal contact by Valencia). No arguments for the second yellow - stupid from Di Maria. Laughable that it's Friend giving a booking for it though considering what Hart got away with,
YcAYWin.jpg

but that's the consistency you get from refs. Still, no one to blame but ourselves for this result - didn't deserve anything from the game.

Did the ref seem laboured running around after that interaction? For example was he wearing anything like this after the altercation.......

article-2257209-16C051E9000005DC-734_634x424.jpg

:lol

There isn't a chance they make top 4. Better teams above them and too many teams closing the gap below them. Maybe if they keep spitting on players.

yeah spitting at opponents is a disgusting practice ,but its not just a recent thing and not just united players that do it ,even PATRICK VIEIRA was at it in 1999
How Jonny Evans could join old Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal stars in spit club | Football | Premier League Transfer News, Scores, Results & More | Daily Star

That's what happens when you bring on ****ing Michael Carrick at half time for Herrera, play Fellaini for 90s mins, and bring on Januzaj, the one hit wonder. At least Falcao makes an effort, puts himself about and looks to find other players. Good job, LVG!

Carrick, Januzaj, Young, Jones, Valencia and Fellaini need to go. Just terminate their contracts, forget trying to make some money. I'm still optimistic about the future, but the team isn't going to evolve with those turds.

I understand your frustration but I think replacing 3-4 would be more than enough otherwise you'll have a squad of players that have no idea how to play cohesive football together. A good example is Spurs after the sale of Bale. They brought I think 8 players in and it was just too drastic a change. Also our trolley dash after the sale of Nasri and Cesc springs to mind also :slap That's why I think if United can balance out there squad in the next 2 seasons you'll be challenging strongly on all fronts again whilst still maintaining league form.

I understand your frustration but I think replacing 3-4 would be more than enough otherwise you'll have a squad of players that have no idea how to play cohesive football together. A good example is Spurs after the sale of Bale. They brought I think 8 players in and it was just too drastic a change. Also our trolley dash after the sale of Nasri and Cesc springs to mind also :slap That's why I think if United can balance out there squad in the next 2 seasons you'll be challenging strongly on all fronts again whilst still maintaining league form.

I know what you mean, and of course I know they won't all be gone by next season (unfortunately), it's just more of a hope. :lol Realistically, I think we'll see a centre-back, central midfielder, winger, striker and right-back come in. 5 players is about the most you want coming in before it gets messy and the team takes a while to gel, but honestly, it's taken most of the season up to this point for this current team to play somewhat cohesively, so what's another season? :lol

:lol Exactly.

Arsene has trained me well I keep saying that about our boys too. What's one more season? We got this! :pray: :lol

Louis van Gaal must reinvigorate Manchester United after FA Cup exit

On the lush fields of Manchester United's training ground, Angel Di Maria isn't discouraged from dribbling with a football. It's a concession, for other players are told that such individualism and spontaneity isn't the way the current team play. The overriding theme is to follow a strict philosophy that, if played correctly, will result in entertaining, dominant, winning, football.

United have so far failed to master the new system imposed by their new master, Louis van Gaal. There have been glimpses and even Monday's first half against Arsenal created moments of intense excitement among the Old Trafford crowd. For example, Di Maria's whipped cross to Wayne Rooney and the subsequent diving header, with which United's captain scored, were superb.

Yet the Argentine blotted his copy book with poor positioning for Arsenal's first goal and his second half sending off was stupid and unnecessary. Such inconsistencies have marked the individual contributions of many United players this season. The majority are playing nowhere near their full potential yet, so far, results have been sufficient to hit a top four target.

Van Gaal has imposed his significant personality on Old Trafford and such a figure was needed to fill a power vacuum. The Dutchman thrives on control and somebody needed to get control of the dressing room after decades of rule under Sir Alex Ferguson's management.

Van Gaal does rule over all in his sphere and the club intend to stick with him, even if he won't be winning a trophy in his first season as he did at in his debut campaigns at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

United's owners, the Glazer family, want a stable environment and note that even Ferguson needed four years to get things right, though the current manager inherited a vastly superior squad and club. He was allowed and encouraged to buy big, including Di Maria at 59.7 million pounds, but the major purchases have largely disappointed so far.

Monday saw the last realistic chance of that disappear with defeat to top four rivals Arsenal in the FA Cup sixth round. That the winner was scored by Mancunian -- and still a United fan -- Danny Welbeck was harder for fans to stomach, but the man who was sold by United last summer did what he's paid to do.

There's nothing wrong with that, nor with him celebrating his goal in front of 9000 travelling fans. He would have loved to have stayed at United, but the club he grew up with preferred fan-pleasing, sponsor-delighting franchise players.

One such, Radamel Falcao, a far costlier alternative to Welbeck, sat on the bench all night and such has been his disappointing season, there was barely a clamour for the Colombian to start. It's a shame, for he was one of the best strikers in football before his knee injury.

Van Gaal continues to make significant changes to United's first eleven as he seeks to find a better formula than the one which has seen his side underwhelm for most of the season.

On Monday, Ander Herrera, who was voted United's player of the month for February, was substituted at half-time while Juan Mata was an unused substitute. Both are exceptional, creative footballers but that crowd-pleasing trait is not actively encouraged by the man in charge.

The United boss has a clear idea of what he wants, even if imagination is stifled. You do it his way or you get dropped. Make too many diagonal runs rather than vertical ones, for example, and you'll be benched.

One surprise, however, is ill-discipline. United will be fined by the FA after receiving six yellow cards against Arsenal and Marouane Fellaini, who has had a decent enough season, seems to concede a free-kick with every second touch.

Di Maria, who saw red, still has some way to go to adapt to the nuances of English football. Fans don't like to see players go down so easily and referees certainly don't like their shirts to be tugged.

Meanwhile, teammates don't like it when, with them in space and shouting for the ball, you try a shot that looks as though it will clear the stand and hit the windows of your new apartment in Manchester's tallest building.

The freedom of expression of some of the world's most creative footballers is suffocated in a system set up not to lose, but the stats and data beloved and devoured by Van Gaal's team in numerous meetings at Carrington, plus executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward in London, show success.

In the aftermath of this defeat, with United fans smarting after being dumped out of the FA Cup at home by a team with an atrocious recent record at Old Trafford, targets are sought for blame. That's what happens when passion and emotion curse through United's many constituents.

Had they got through, the semifinal game at Wembley in April would have been against one of two beatable teams, Reading or Bradford City -- at least on possession, if not goals -- to set up a potential final against Liverpool. Not now. If Arsenal win the competition this season they'll move ahead of United's 11 FA Cups triumphs.

For the first time since 2006, United are out of both domestic cups and European competition by the start of March. On the bright side, just two years after that relatively poor year, they were European champions. It shows how quickly football can turn around and Van Gaal has the ingredients to work with, from stellar players to finance.

This isn't Southampton, Porto, Valencia or Atletico Madrid, where the fruits of youth systems and intelligent scouting, far more impressive than any seen at Old Trafford recently, are cherry-picked by bigger clubs at the end of the season, but the mood among fans and the confidence of players needs picking up off the floor.

Van Gaal has a crucial month ahead with games against Tottenham , Liverpool, a revitalised Aston Villa, Manchester City and Chelsea. When canvassed today, many fans showed little faith in their team still being in the top four at the end of that run but the mood can spin on a single moment, just as it did when Welbeck scored.

The United fans in attendance on Monday were singing their latest "Oh, what a night" terrace tune loudly. Their 1970s-inspired flags looked decent and so many away fans helped the atmosphere too.

It was a night alright, but not one for which United fans hoped.

https://www.espnfc.com/club/manchest...nvigorate-manchester-united-after-fa-cup-exit

Thought this was a interesting read , Van Gaal's 'philosophy' seems to be strangling the life out of our creative players. Don't run with the ball, don't take risks, stick to your position. You can see the players hesitating when they get the ball, trying to restrain themselves rather than express themselves. No wonder our football is so one paced and one dimensional.And could explain why the likes of Herrera, Mata, Rafael and Januzaj constantly find themselves on the bench.

Did the ref seem laboured running around after that interaction? For example was he wearing anything like this after the altercation.......

article-2257209-16C051E9000005DC-734_634x424.jpg

:lol

ha ha ,no not that i saw lol ,but i thought this was a interesting opinion as to why ADM was sent off ,that the ref had failed to stamp his authority on the game early on and had to do something to restore control ,see post below

"He should have dealt with the diving when Welbeck dived, or when Sanchez first dived, or when Di Maria first dived, not when Di Maria took his 3rd or 4th tumble in the 80th minute.

He let a fair few players get away with repeated fouls, meaning that a number of them should have been on thin ice, and thus on their best behaviour, when the game got heated as United chased an equaliser. As it was, they were able to continue putting in niggly fouls and cynical tackles, and still they were escaping punishment.

He set a precedent for awarding yellow cards for cynical tackles, and rightly so, but, as with the diving, he was inconsistent with this and let Bellerin off a blatant second yellow. This then created a situation where the intensity of the match was high, tempers were now flaring, and he had zero control of the match because there were about 5 or 6 players on the pitch that should have been on yellows but weren't.

Tempers were too flared on both sides for sudden card waving to make a difference, but he clearly realised the game had got beyond him and made a desperate attempt to sort it out. Di Maria's dive presented the perfect opportunity for a card, and you could see in his eyes as soon as he felt his shirt tugged that he was going to send him off as a last ditch effort to gain some control of the match.

It didn't work though because we ended up with a situation where Rojo probably should have walked for two bookable offences, the first of which he got away with, Fellaini probably could have gone for just tripping people up all game, Monreal's handball should have been his second yellow, but he somehow avoided a booking at all, Ramsey should have gone when he kicked the ball away after fouling Young, and obviously Bellerin should have walked. It wasn't a particularly dirty match, but because he let it get out of hand, we ended up with at least 5 players that probably should have been sent off on top of the one that did get sent off. If he had control of the game and had dealt with the situations appropriately earlier in the game, Di Maria wouldn't have been reacting to a booking for diving with such anger, Rojo wouldn't have been charging people down like a madman, Fellaini would have had to calm himself down a lot earlier, Monreal probably wouldn't have been lowering his arm to stop the ball, and Ramsey wouldn't have been kicking the ball away petulantly."

anyway water under the bridge now and roll on spurs on sunday

LVG's players finally put in a performance that resembled the United of old and finished off Spurs by half time.

As a confidence booster going into the next few games it couldn't really have gone much better.

Back