Eaglemoss Marvel and DC figurines

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Lead figures - are they safe?

They would of recalled them if there was any danger id assume, i think your fine. They actually look very cool i like the books they come with, but never got into them

For display purposes, sure. Just don't let your kids play with them.

Look at it this way- how many people today live in houses with lead base paints throughout their home? Quite a lot. My house was built in 1890, so I'm sure it's at least somewhere in mine, but it doesn't concern me because my kids aren't chewing on the baseboards and trim and such.

I thankfully got a strong purchasing power and was offered 180 Marvel ones for $2,000. I had that money aside for HT but I always felt attraction for these EM figurines. The only thing that really screws me up is the fact that they are made of a poisonous material that attacks in particular the nervous system and brain. I m not going to lie, I suffer a little from anxiety and mild OCD and I read lead does just that, creates disorders LOL so that is why I am concerned so much with this. is like you love them but you cant have them LOL

I thankfully got a strong purchasing power and was offered 180 Marvel ones for $2,000. I had that money aside for HT but I always felt attraction for these EM figurines. The only thing that really screws me up is the fact that they are made of a poisonous material that attacks in particular the nervous system and brain. I m not going to lie, I suffer a little from anxiety and mild OCD and I read lead does just that, creates disorders LOL so that is why I am concerned so much with this. is like you love them but you cant have them LOL

You can love them, put rubber gloves on to put them in a case to display them and enjoy looking at them. You should have no problems then.

Bullets are made of lead, too.
It just occurred to me to check on lead poisoning in the military and I cam across this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18548984

Shooting guns releases lead dust into the air, which causes lead poisoning. I never really thought about that possibility.

At any rate, these look like nice figurines. I would look at them being more archival than plastic figures, since I'm sure that lead figurines will remain intact for hundreds of years, as opposed to plastic, which can warp, sag, crack, and become brittle with age and break with age.
Unless you are going to handle these as part of enjoying them,and keep them in a sealed case, I would not be concerned about poisoning.
If you love handling them, though, you are in for a problem.
If you like them, buy them.

As an aside, did you know that all plastics leach a toxic gas called polyvinyl-chloride, that is carcinogenic? It is one of the reasons for that new action figure and new car smell. The hotter they get, the more they leach. It is why the insides or car windows fog up on hot days. You breathe that stuff into your lungs, which is very bad. Always best to open the doors to air a car out first before getting in on a hot day. Plastic poisons you without you even having to touch it.
Plastic water bottles in the sun? They leach carcinogenic chemicals into the water, which is why the water tastes like plastic. It tastes like plastic because you are drinking plastic.

Maybe you should buy real bronze statues instead. :)
Why be half safe?

You can love them, put rubber gloves on to put them in a case to display them and enjoy looking at them. You should have no problems then.

Bullets are made of lead, too.
It just occurred to me to check on lead poisoning in the military and I cam across this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18548984

Shooting guns releases lead dust into the air, which causes lead poisoning. I never really thought about that possibility.

At any rate, these look like nice figurines. I would look at them being more archival than plastic figures, since I'm sure that lead figurines will remain intact for hundreds of years, as opposed to plastic, which can warp, sag, crack, and become brittle with age and break with age.
Unless you are going to handle these as part of enjoying them,and keep them in a sealed case, I would not be concerned about poisoning.
If you love handling them, though, you are in for a problem.
If you like them, buy them.

As an aside, did you know that all plastics leach a toxic gas called polyvinyl-chloride, that is carcinogenic? It is one of the reasons for that new action figure and new car smell. The hotter they get, the more they leach. It is why the insides or car windows fog up on hot days. You breathe that stuff into your lungs, which is very bad. Always best to open the doors to air a car out first before getting in on a hot day. Plastic poisons you without you even having to touch it.
Plastic water bottles in the sun? They leach carcinogenic chemicals into the water, which is why the water tastes like plastic. It tastes like plastic because you are drinking plastic.

Maybe you should buy real bronze statues instead. :)
Why be half safe?

Waiiiit a minute now? Lead bullets kill people? That's crazy

Waiiiit a minute now? Lead bullets kill people? That's crazy

I'm talking about a study done that proves that the lead dust produced by firing a gun poisons the shooter. That I found to be really interesting. The Lone Ranger would be healthier. :)

Re: Be honest. Is it safe?

They are about as dangerous as lead pencils lying around the house, if you want to worry about that, you should also think about getting rid of the microwave and gas cooker, now those things are actually capable of blowing up your home.

Just don't let small children put them in their mouth and don't leave them under the sun, wash your hands after you touch them if you really want to feel safe, etc..

I can probably point out 10 items that you already possess in your house that are way more dangerous than those lead figures, but that might just make you feel more uneasy :D

-
You do know that is a different kind of lead right?

Let me rephrase, the lead figures are about as dangerous as the electrical wires that completely surrounds your walls. Or the car you drive which has all the ingredients it needs to blow up while you're still inside it. Or the gas cooker which is capable of an explosion bigger than that of a C4 or a grenade. The list goes on and on.

You can choose to get rid of all the electrical wires in your house because they are dangerous to you, or keep the electricity running and simply be careful not to electrocute yourself. You can keep your car and refrigerator as long as you're careful not to blow yourself up. There will always be something in your daily life that can kill you, in the end it's all about being cautious, and try not to be like those guys from Zoolander: :D

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AzJT8FlmY&feature=related[/ame]

-

Last edited:

if they were dangerous they wouldn't be making them

Lead is and always has been toxic, and therefore everything made of it is potentially dangerous. If sealed with paint or inside a safe material, it will not have a toxic effect, but it is always dangerous because the seal COULD be broken. Danger is about potential damage and not just actual damage. You have too much trust in the government if you think that "if they were dangerous they wouldn't be making them" Rat poison can be bought, and so can lacquer thinner, but it is about responsible handling of the substances sold. These lead figurines are made for adults, who are expected to responsible enough with them so as to not cause themselves harm. There were toys made in China that were found to contain lead a few years ago, and there was a major recall on them. They were children's toys, which is why.

I use lacquer thinner from time to time and I know it is dangerous stuff, so I handle accordingly. Just because I am careful doesn't mean the stuff isn't dangerous.

A lot of things are made now because they always have been, that if introduced today with what is known about them would probably not be allowed. Tradition is why they are still made. Human beings are creatures of habit, and that applies to lawmaking too.

Re: Be honest. Is it safe?

Pencil lead is only called lead because it used to be made of lead and so no one bothered to change the name. It's sort of like Scotch Tape or Xerox. Not all transparent tape is Scotch tape, and yet many people still refer to all transparent tape as Scotch tape. Kleenex is like that, too.
There really is only one kind of lead, but people continue to inaccurately refer to pencil graphite as lead.

People manufacturer dangerous things all the time, including unintentionally dangerous things. Thats why stuff gets recalled. Or they may say it's cheaper to keep makng them and pay the lawsuits than it is to stop production.

but the fact that after all this time theres been no recall and i havent seen or heard of a suit against EM or someone involved in this makes me think these are ok. At least no suit to date.

I'm talking about a study done that proves that the lead dust produced by firing a gun poisons the shooter. That I found to be really interesting. The Lone Ranger would be healthier. :)

I know I was being funny at the irony is all

It is much cheaper to sculpt and make things using LEAD but it is as far as I have researched unhealthy and dangerous.
what are your opinions and for those who have them, do you suffer from anxiety or any mental issues that remotedly might have been caused because of the LEAD in them?
what if you have around 300 figures, will they together radiate a good amount of LEAD to affect one's brain?...
I have them all and I feel fine. No paranoia at all. :gah: :horror
Anyone wanna buy the full set off me before they GET me?:panic:

so if you could have 202 eaglemoss figurines or 2000 dollars worth in hot toys, which 1 will you guys chose? figurines are not repeated and are mostly marvel, of course they include rare and exclusives etc.

so if you could have 202 eaglemoss figurines or 2000 dollars worth in hot toys, which 1 will you guys chose? figurines are not repeated and are mostly marvel, of course they include rare and exclusives etc.

Eaglemoss are great for their scale, and you could have many more characters for the same space and money. I'm sure that HT will never do all of the characters that Eaglemoss has done, so consider that. However, In terms of the present, since you seem to want both, the question is really which will be more expensive to pick up later. WE know that a lot of HT double or triple in value, sometimes quadruple. I would not buy a rubber bodied HT over Eaglemoss, though. The HT are also movie based, while the Eaglemoss are comic based, so the Eaglemoss are more iconic.

I just discovered Eaglemoss because of you mentioning it, and for their scale, I am really impressed.
I think the Eaglemoss could be handed down from generation to generation intact for hundreds or thousands of years, if kept in an airtight case., whereas the HT might only last your lifetime, but are much more impressive pieces to have on display. If it were me, I would rather have a full set of IM armors than these Eaglemoss. Of course, I have always been fascinated by armor, so having a nice detailed set of the most technologically advanced concept of armor is really appealing to me. I still wouldn't mind having the Eaglemoss, though.

I guess in terms of making your decision, which would you regret more, missing out on this deal for these Eaglemoss figures, which sounds like a rare deal to me, although I don't know, or missing out on the HT?

Pick the one you would regret missing out on most. Maybe you could buy just one or two HT AND have the Eaglemoss. Perhaps buying just the HT you really want most AND having the Eaglemoss is the answer.

I am talking about HT at original price or below retail, though, unless it is just a little more expensive and it is something you REALLY want, like one figure for $100 more than retail because it will go up more later. If HT IM MK1 is one you want, I suggest you buy it. IM MK 7 is also a really nice one to have. I forget which HT you have your eyes on so it is hard for me to advise. Know though, that being a HT completionist will be impossible for you in all lines. I'm not trying to insult you, but based upon the fact that you have to choose tells me it is so. I know I can't be a completionist in everything.

Last edited:

I know what you mean. I have set aside this 2k to buy most of the avengers pre order and the two fair exclusives @ sideshow.
I have also extra money to buy other HT but having a 2k minus that was gonna be used for HT, could mean a blow to potential figures, at least 6-8 HT or perhaps more depending.
on the Eagle Moss. my main concern was and still is the LEAD. Im scared but I really like the looks of the figures. Also it is a good deal, but the guy selling it is having a hard time selling them anyways for over 2k. which means I also would have a hard time if i would like to part with them once I have them for a while, as I believe there are more HT collectors than Eaglemoss.
so there, thats my confusion. but your post is of great advice.

Come on people, your opinion is greately appreciatted

P1030429.jpg

Eaglemoss all the way for me! You can even repaint them. :)

Back