E3 LIVE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why the DSiXL would sell all that well anyway, it's just a bigger screen and not anything else. And the PSPGo failed because they made games all digital, they didn't improve the controls, and it was way too expensive.

I know. Its ridiculous how they made it non compatible with the PSP games. They lost my sale on a PSPGo the second I read that it will only play digital games.

I think the PSPGo's failure is indeed due in part to it going digital only, but that's not the biggest reason. Consider that iPod Touch sells like crazy still, and that device is also digital only. It's the pricing and Sony' crap infrastructure for PSPGo's download system and marketplace that killed the device. The sad thing is that I think PSPGo could have been a success, but Sony botched it as badly as anyone could.

Anyway, Konami press conference is today, right? That's pretty much the last big thing to look forward to. Maybe see more of MGS Rising. Sucks Kojima won't be there though.

I think the PSPGo's failure is indeed due in part to it going digital only, but that's not the biggest reason. Consider that iPod Touch sells like crazy still, and that device is also digital only. It's the pricing and Sony' crap infrastructure for PSPGo's download system and marketplace that killed the device. The sad thing is that I think PSPGo could have been a success, but Sony botched it as badly as anyone could.

Anyway, Konami press conference is today, right? That's pretty much the last big thing to look forward to. Maybe see more of MGS Rising. Sucks Kojima won't be there though.

It could also be that it offered no improvements and cost $80 more than the older version. And I wouldn't compare the iPod touch at all to gaming systems. No one buys an iPod as a gaming system.

"We already heard that the legacy Xbox 360 consoles would see a price cut with the introduction of the new Xbox 360 slimster. Now Walmart has sweetened the deal with a tempting Father's Day bundle. Up through June 20th, purchasing a newly priced $149 Xbox 360 Arcade gets you a $50 Walmart eGift card (usable only on Walmart.com and Samsclub.com) on top of the two free games (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Viva Piñata), wireless controller, and 256MB of memory already included in Microsoft's Spring Bundle. So really, a console that cost $199 just a few days ago is now selling for $99. Not bad.

** after using your $50 eGift card on crap you'd buy anyway, like Xbox 360 games and accessories."

Thats nice, even though WM had a 100 GC deal a few months back. Which made it "$99". I'll wait it out, I am sure better deals are to come, since there are thousands of 360 systems just sitting in warehouses.
Slim really is the way to go. Built in wifi is what 360 fans have been asking for since...forever. Plus, maybe they finally resolved the RROD issue?

This was pretty funny as well
E3HighSchool_1276299978.jpg

I'm not really sure the iPod Touch is in the same category as the PSPGo. Sure it plays games, but IMO its not really a portable gaming device (as in the DS and PSP). Everything else you mention is exactly what I believe to be Sony's problem.

I traded my PSP in once I heard about a new and better version, but kept all my games I managed to accumulate. I crapped the bed when I found out that they were digital only and not UMD capable and I just skipped it all together.

Doesn't look like a live video stream of the Konami conference is of interest for many gaming websites. Oh well, from what I've followed on the live blog, it seems kinda boring anyway.

It could also be that it offered no improvements and cost $80 more than the older version. And I wouldn't compare the iPod touch at all to gaming systems. No one buys an iPod as a gaming system.

I'm not really sure the iPod Touch is in the same category as the PSPGo. Sure it plays games, but IMO its not really a portable gaming device (as in the DS and PSP). Everything else you mention is exactly what I believe to be Sony's problem.

It doesn't matter whether or not most core games consider the ipod touch a gaming platform. Apple sees differently. The way the device is selling, most people have undoubtedly experienced gaming on the device. This audience is wide. And these days, the line between portable gaming device and an iPod Touch is blurred anyway. The features are practically interchangeable at this point. Plays games, plays movies, plays music, has web browser, etc etc.

Here's IGN Best of E3

Best Overall

Rage

Other nominees:
Civilization V
Epic Mickey
Dead Space 2
Portal 2 Rage

Best Xbox 360 Game

Portal 2

Other nominees:
Child of Eden
Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Halo: Reach
Medal of Honor
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Rage

Best PS3 Game

Portal 2

Other nominees:
SOCOM 4
Medal of Honor
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
Dead Space 2
MotorStorm: Apocalypse

Best Wii Game

Epic Mickey
Other nominees:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Sonic Colors
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Best PC Game

Portal 2

Other nominees:
Jumpgate Evolution
Medal of Honor
Civilization V
Company of Heroes Online
Shogun II: Total War
Rage
The Witcher 2

Best DS Game

Super Scribblenauts

Other nominees:
Sonic Colors
Okamiden
Prof. Layton & The Unwound Future

Best PSP Game

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Other nominees:
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Patapon 3
Gravity Crash Portable God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Best iPhone Game

Puzzle Agent

Other nominees:
Spider-Man
Predators
Sonic 4: Ep. 1

Best Action Game

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Other nominees:
Yakuza 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed II
Shank
Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light
Red Faction: Armageddon
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Best Fighting Game

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Other nominees:
Mortal Kombat

Best Motion Control Game

Child of Eden

Other nominees:
Dance Central
Kinectimals
SOCOM 4

Best Music/Rhythm Game

Child of Eden

Other nominees:
DJ Hero 2
Rock Band 3
Dance Central

Best Platforming Game

Epic Mickey

Other nominees:
Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Limbo
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Sonic Colors

Best Puzzle Game

Portal 2

Other nominees:
Super Scribblenauts
Monkey Island 2: SE
Prof. Layton & The Unwound Future

Best Racing Game

Other nominees:
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
Gran Turismo 5

Best Role Playing Game

Fallout: New Vegas

Other nominees:
The Witcher 2
Fable III
Tera
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Best Shooter

RAGE

Other nominees:
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Dead Space 2
SOCOM 4
Gears of War 3
Halo: Reach
Medal of Honor
Monday Night Combat
Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Blacklight: Tango Down
XCOM

Best Sports Game

NBA Jam

Other nominees:
Madden NFL 11
EA Sports MMA
NHL 11
NCAA 11
FIFA Soccer 11

Best Strategy Game

Civilization V

Other nominees:
Shogun II: Total War
Company of Heroes Online
End of Nations

Best Family Game

Disney's Guilty Party

Other nominees:
Spare Parts
LEGO Harry Potter
EyePet
Start the Party
Wii Party

Looks like they pulled that out of their ass.

Just to point out--how can Rage be best game yet not the best game on Xbox 360 and PS3? Also want to point out that we haven't seen anything amazing from Rage, right now it's a pretty generic shooter.

And Fallout over SW:TOR? That's just ridiculous

Back