Dr. Doom Legendary Scale Figure - order now from first post!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dr. Doom LSF!

I like my pieces to have an ES but I've never seen them as an investment.
It's good to get your money back when/if you ever have to sell but it's never guaranteed.
I actually hope these sell for a lot less later as it's the only way I'll ever own one.
No way am I dropping thousands on these LSFs
Sweet looking statue though.

The only valid reason anyone should have for buying this is because they love it, they want it in their collection and most of all they can afford it.

Damn this statue is sweet! If I can still put an order in after Christmas, consider it purchased!

Man, some people just never seem to grasp the money aspect of things.

I guarantee whoever purchases these open ES pieces at retail will never recoup that money. What you will also discover is that the loss you will take will be equivalent to a mortgage payment or car payment. Just to put things into perspective for you. I'm not trying to be anyone's accountant, but this is money 101, cut your losses when possible.

SS would never take this position for their business model, because their not stupid. Imagine if they produced every statue they made at a loss, but justified it because collectors love collecting their statues. It's ridiculous and would never happen in reality.

Yet, we have collectors here justifying these purchases using that logic :slap

Chris

I guarantee whoever purchases these open ES pieces at retail will never recoup that money. What you will also discover is that the loss you will take will be equivalent to a mortgage payment or car payment. Just to put things into perspective for you. I'm not trying to be anyone's accountant, but this is money 101, cut your losses when possible.

SS would never take this position for their business model, because their not stupid. Imagine if they produced every statue they made at a loss, but justified it because collectors love collecting their statues. It's ridiculous and would never happen in reality.

Chris

I speak for myself only, but if a guy has the money to spend and is not buying it for the purpose of reselling to make a quick buck, then why would i care about any of the points your trying to make people understand? Its not like there is another 4 foot tall Dr Doom statue on the market that i can buy for less that looks this good...

I speak for myself only, but if a guy has the money to spend and is not buying it for the purpose of reselling to make a quick buck, then why would i care about any of the points your trying to make people understand? Its not like there is another 4 foot tall Dr Doom statue on the market that i can buy for less that looks this good...

Whether you bought this to flip right away or sold it 8 years from now, you will still likely take a loss. You're wrong that in the future you won't find a doom statue for this price. You will, it will be the SAME statue in question that will be selling well below retail...and that's my point.

It blows my mind the blind willingness people have to look past any sort of logic in order to spend fist full's of cash they will never see again.

SS through persistence will condition collectors further to be accepting of these terms. People will flock like mindless sheep cash in hand none the wiser.

Maybe I should start up my own statue company? :monkey1

Chris

Oh I grasp it pretty well, and I have a piece of paper hanging on the wall to prove it in addition to a very well paying job. :lecture

If I want it and can afford it, why not get it? I'm not looking to make a quick flip. I am just wanting to add a bad as:monkey1 piece to my collection.

Why is it assumed that everyone will try and flip this in the future :dunno

Oh I grasp it pretty well, and I have a piece of paper hanging on the wall to prove it in addition to a very well paying job. :lecture

If I want it and can afford it, why not get it? I'm not looking to make a quick flip. I am just wanting to add a bad as:monkey1 piece to my collection.

I'm sure Obama has one hanging on his wall to.

Chris

Just checked out the pics, if only this was a PF :(

Chris

I think you're being a little too overcritical of people here. By your logic you should never purchase anything that you can't recoup the value of your money on. Dinners out?....forget it. Stay in and eat canned soup instead. Play golf with some friends on a gorgeous day?....No thank you, I can't resell that experience so I'll just pass. Buy some new clothes?....I can just go to the salvation army for cheap, worn, old clothes for a fraction of the price instead. Yet people do those things mainly for the "feeling" or "experience" not to recoup their investment in them with another dollar value. The "value".....is in the personal satisfaction/fulfilled desire. And everyone's value is different in this hobby, but we all in some way, shape, or form have one.

My point is this hobby has nothing to do with investment tbh. Most choices in life don't really. We buy to survive only part of the time. Mostly we buy to fulfill wants, desires, and pleasures. Can we make money on certain purchases? Yea, we do. Can we break even most of the time? Yea, I'd say so. Should we buy for investment reasons?....Hellll no. Should you buy something even only if it makes you happy?....Well that's your choice, but I'd say most of us are here for the primary reason of "this hobby makes me happy and I enjoy doing it" not "I could make some money doing this".

Can't really put a price on that now can you.

BTW: I think this piece is ridiculously awesome and compared to all other LSFs you get the most bang for your buck. Just matters how much your bang is worth to your buck.

Wish I could afford/afford to display it. :(

Whether you bought this to flip right away or sold it 8 years from now, you will still likely take a loss. You're wrong that in the future you won't find a doom statue for this price. You will, it will be the SAME statue in question that will be selling well below retail...and that's my point.

It blows my mind the blind willingness people have to look past any sort of logic in order to spend fist full's of cash they will never see again.

SS through persistence will condition collectors further to be accepting of these terms. People will flock like mindless sheep cash in hand none the wiser.

Maybe I should start up my own statue company? :monkey1

Chris

This just illustrates my point of "what is a loss to you?"

A loss to some may be never being able to see this in person and enjoy having it in their home. A loss to others may be how much they can resell it for later. Maybe those fistfulls of cash are of less value to them than the fistfulls of memories and daily joy they get from seeing the piece in person every day.

Just saying.

We are all entitled to our opinions of course. And I'm not picking on your Atheris as I usually share the same opinions of things in this hobby as you do.....just not today lol.

First world problems, right? :hi5:

I think you're being a little too overcritical of people here. By your logic you should never purchase anything that you can't recoup the value of your money on. Dinners out?....forget it. Stay in and eat canned soup instead. Play golf with some friends on a gorgeous day?....No thank you, I can't resell that experience so I'll just pass. Buy some new clothes?....I can just go to the salvation army for cheap, worn, old clothes for a fraction of the price instead. Yet people do those things mainly for the "feeling" or "experience" not to recoup their investment in them with another dollar value. The "value".....is in the personal satisfaction/fulfilled desire. And everyone's value is different in this hobby, but we all in some way, shape, or form have one.

My point is this hobby has nothing to do with investment tbh. Most choices in life don't really. We buy to survive only part of the time. Mostly we buy to fulfill wants, desires, and pleasures. Can we make money on certain purchases? Yea, we do. Can we break even most of the time? Yea, I'd say so. Should we buy for investment reasons?....Hellll no. Should you buy something even only if it makes you happy?....Well that's your choice, but I'd say most of us are here for the primary reason of "this hobby makes me happy and I enjoy doing it" not "I could make some money doing this".

Can't really put a price on that now can you.

BTW: I think this piece is ridiculously awesome and compared to all other LSFs you get the most bang for your buck. Just matters how much your bang is worth to your buck.

Wish I could afford/afford to display it. :(

This last piece pretty much negates your argument.

It's for the experience, just buy it :wink1:

Chris

This just illustrates my point of "what is a loss to you?"

A loss to some may be never being able to see this in person and enjoy having it in their home. A loss to others may be how much they can resell it for later. Maybe those fistfulls of cash are of less value to them than the fistfulls of memories and daily joy they get from seeing the piece in person every day.

Just saying.

We are all entitled to our opinions of course. And I'm not picking on your Atheris as I usually share the same opinions of things in this hobby as you do.....just not today lol.

First world problems, right? :hi5:

Everyone has the right to their opinions, as well as people having the right to ridicule those opinions when they don't align with reason or logic.

Chris

as I said in the other forum, the "enjoyment" of having this piece now far outweighs the potential dollar loss for me, and I would suggest others.

I have lots of statues with edition sizes that are today worth less than I paid. It is a small part of the equation when it comes to "value".

Buy what you like at a price you can afford. I really believe it is as simple as that.

atheris at this point u prob shud just given up on collecting.

thats the way of marketing out there and sideshow did us a favor for people who still want to buy this later on.

at least for now on we wont hear from those scalpers who are in this hobby as a two headed snake.

if u only buy because of the open or closed edition number of the production then you have left the sideshow wagon long time alrdy.

we all know this open ES is no longer a suprise for most collectors.

**** personally i wouldnt want to pay over 3 grand for a 2 grand sideshow retail price had it been a numbered edition size.

just enjoy what u want to collect ok.
The fact that it has a set total or specific number for an ES is not the point. The point I'm making is that it HAVE one.

The biggest issue I've had with these high priced open ES pieces is that SS still controls the "collectibility" and "value" of the item after the sale still. Take for example the recent 1:1 T-800 bust that went back into production. Or the 1:2 T-800 that is now open ES, or the LSF wolverine which went from "we only have 20 left" to "we're making them again for as long as we feel like it, deal with it".

Your investment of 2k and getting that value back is now less than 50%. Add to the fact that these pieces are priced at the limits of what they're able to pull out of the customer. The LSF wolf pred can still be bought for roughly 2k even after it's been discontinued. That's because the 2nd hand market has its limit also for these pieces. SS is trying to soak up 2nd hand market prices in their retail prices. Which makes it even HARDER for a collector to break even on statues like this while still in production or after sell out.

Having an ES on these whether it's 300 or 1000 is still better than just nothing. We are all in this hobby because we enjoy it within reason. But I assure you no one got into this hobby with the focus to lose thousands of dollars because it makes them feel good.

This is what collectors and consumers should keep in mind before placing that order. No one shops for a car, or a house or a stock this way. Why would you shop for collectibles that way?

Chris

Is the LSF market that big that you van buy and flip it? If it's 1/4 I am sure it is easier to flip.

Nice statue, but the space needed is :(

Back