Doctor Who 1:6 big prop commission thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCF3766Correction.jpg

LED`s are a fantastic way of bringing things to life

i love what you`ve done with those face hugers in the jars WST! the whole set looks amazing!

Thanks Rick! That's a great assortment of stills of the TCE.

There are some handy diorama tips and tricks that folks can use at the Geeb-O-Rama website. There are other diorama ideas, and other customizing ideas all over that website, so browse to your hearts' content!

I also found a picture that was part of a tutorial:
dioramastereopacking.jpg

It's part of a grungy Aliens-style spaceship/spacestation, made using the styrofoam packing from a stereo. Computers or other large equipment might have other useful packing material too. The guy painted the packing material brow with some gray streaks. He bent wire to make the handles and ladder rungs. It looks like he added some aluminum tubing (the same stuff Sean Huxter used to make a sonic screwdriver) as well. The netting at the right hand side of the picture probably came from a hobby/craft store (like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Jo Anns). Look for the seashells, and there usually are bits of netting like that on a shelf nearby. For a space station or space ship, the netting can hold cargo. If you want a historical adventure, the same netting works as rigging for pirate or naval vessels.

Rick, I love the aquarium space station flooring grid idea so much that I'm going to steal it! :D Also, your description of steel wall segments has me jonesing for a trip to Lowes or Home Depot. Hmmm...the tubes that vent hot air from a clothes dryer might give companions something to crawl through to escape from alien prison cells....

Here it is with some photoshopped decal accents. This is all trial and error. I really wanted an image beyond the doorway to open the base up, but light glares off it giving the illusion away. Because of this I don't know if printed back grounds are a great idea.
One possible solution to the printed backgrounds and labels idea: Maybe cut out the door, then mount the image behind that hole, so the background is recessed slightly from the rest of the diorama. It helps to create more of an illusion of depth because there actually is some depth. Likewise, maybe mount some of the printed labels on bits of cardboard or foamboard so they actually stick out from the station wall at least a little bit.

Thanks Rick! That's a great assortment of stills of the TCE.

There are some handy diorama tips and tricks that folks can use at the Geeb-O-Rama website. There are other diorama ideas, and other customizing ideas all over that website, so browse to your hearts' content!

I also found a picture that was part of a tutorial:
dioramastereopacking.jpg

It's part of a grungy Aliens-style spaceship/spacestation, made using the styrofoam packing from a stereo. Computers or other large equipment might have other useful packing material too. The guy painted the packing material brow with some gray streaks. He bent wire to make the handles and ladder rungs. It looks like he added some aluminum tubing (the same stuff Sean Huxter used to make a sonic screwdriver) as well. The netting at the right hand side of the picture probably came from a hobby/craft store (like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Jo Anns). Look for the seashells, and there usually are bits of netting like that on a shelf nearby. For a space station or space ship, the netting can hold cargo. If you want a historical adventure, the same netting works as rigging for pirate or naval vessels.

Rick, I love the aquarium space station flooring grid idea so much that I'm going to steal it! :D Also, your description of steel wall segments has me jonesing for a trip to Lowes or Home Depot. Hmmm...the tubes that vent hot air from a clothes dryer might give companions something to crawl through to escape from alien prison cells....

One possible solution to the printed backgrounds and labels idea: Maybe cut out the door, then mount the image behind that hole, so the background is recessed slightly from the rest of the diorama. It helps to create more of an illusion of depth because there actually is some depth. Likewise, maybe mount some of the printed labels on bits of cardboard or foamboard so they actually stick out from the station wall at least a little bit.

thanks vikki! :)

sent you an email BTW

kind regards

Cool control room pics, MTATL! That turned out great, and the LED's did work well for those too. Obviously, you are one of those people who can handle foamboard cutting EXTREMELY well! :)

Thanks for the link, Vikki. Can't wait to browse it. That example pic looks awesome!

You can't tell from the above straight on pic, but that doorway is 3-D and is big, and the image is actually recessed about an inch and change. New pic below:

door.gif

I think you are right about putting signs on board though to give them some depth. I'm gonna put some darker tech graphics on the interior door walls too to show off the depth of them.

You can't tell from the above straight on pic, but that doorway is 3-D and is big, and the image is actually recessed about an inch and change. New pic below:
door.gif

Ah, my bad. That looks so much better in a picture taken from a slight angle, instead of straight on.

Ooh, I found another relevant tutorial. The techniques would work for Doctor Who diorama as well as for Star Wars: Darth Fatalus Diorama

I finally re-found the link on Hydrospan. There is also Hydroshrink. I guess it would work for us after all. Here's the links. A CO K-9 would probably work very well!

HYDROSPAN
https://www.industrialpolymers.com/wa...urethanes.html
https://www.industrialpolymers.com/Hy...n Manual.pdf

Now for the million dollar questions:
1. Does anyone feel confident that they can mix, mold, etc. with Hydrospan?
2. Are the rest of us interested in enlarged versions of CO toys? Hydrospan could give us 1:6 scale versions of the smaller scale toys we already own. (PE Daleks, PE Cybermen/Cybermats/Cyberguns, CO K9, enlarge the CO Build-a-Figure parts to assemble a 1:6 scale K1 Giant Robot, etc.)

Hydrospan could bypass commissioning costs for a lot of props we've discussed already, if CO or PE already have smaller scale versions available. Resin castings of those figures could be heavy.

I'm willing to help purchase some Hydrospan. Is this something anyone else is interested in?

I've done a bit of casting and molding but not for a few years and it was only with 3 3/4 scale Star Wars heads so wouldn't feel too confident about doing bigger things but I'll be able contribute towards the cost of materials just not for 2-3 months.
I'll also have a few spares of the K1 Robot parts to donate for the cause as I'm getting multiples of certain Classics wave 1 characters and I also have a couple of spare Nu-Who figures including K9.
If the technique works well I'd definitely be intrested in seeing a few items enlarged namely,

1.Classic K1 Robot
2.Classic Zygon
3.Classic 4th Doctor 1st headsculpt (with hat) and sonic screwdriver
4.Nu-Who Sontarans
5.Genesis Ark & Daleks.
6.The Face Of Boe & jar

Sorry, a little late to join in. I'd love to have some of the CO figs enlarged, especially some of the new Classic stuff! I've been casting over the past couple of years. Haven't used the Hydrospan yet, but wanted to note that this would still take at least three or maybe four molds to be created for each part being enlarged. That could get expensive. The stuff I get locally runs $30 and only gets me about 3 molds. But if anyone can find a supplier that has it cheap, I'd love to test it out.

BillyB

Ah, my bad. That looks so much better in a picture taken from a slight angle, instead of straight on.

Ooh, I found another relevant tutorial. The techniques would work for Doctor Who diorama as well as for Star Wars: Darth Fatalus Diorama

Now for the million dollar questions:
1. Does anyone feel confident that they can mix, mold, etc. with Hydrospan?
2. Are the rest of us interested in enlarged versions of CO toys? Hydrospan could give us 1:6 scale versions of the smaller scale toys we already own. (PE Daleks, PE Cybermen/Cybermats/Cyberguns, CO K9, enlarge the CO Build-a-Figure parts to assemble a 1:6 scale K1 Giant Robot, etc.)

Hydrospan could bypass commissioning costs for a lot of props we've discussed already, if CO or PE already have smaller scale versions available. Resin castings of those figures could be heavy.

I'm willing to help purchase some Hydrospan. Is this something anyone else is interested in?

I was thinking a lot about the K-9 tonight, and how it could be done, should be done, etc. I bet the CO Figure K-9 could be enlarged to still have it's side panel be removable. It wouldn't remain pop-off, but still removable so the Doctor could work on his insides.

I suppose even K-9 might need to go through a few different molds to get to the right scale, even if Hydrospan enlarges up to 60%.

I too would kick in money towards the process for someone to experiment with it for us.

Perhaps a PE Dalek would be better to try and enlarge since it is already quite a bit larger than a CO and pretty accurate?

The cool thing with this is several people can be monkeying around with different Hydrospan projects at different times.

I don't mind taking a stab at something for us eventually with it either, but I'll need to get a few projects out of the way first before I committed in good conscience to work on something else.

Things to en-biggen to 1:6 scale

CO Figures
K-9
New Series Dalek
Face of Boe
Weeping Angels

PE figures
Earthshock Cybermen and Cybermat/gun
Classic Dalek

Some Awesome Ideas on here.

I have recently been asked as a commision to create a 1/6th Davros. Though he isnt sure wich version he wants. He is considering a Revelation Davros or a Remembrance Davros. I think both have their merits but I am edging for a Rememberence myself. Though would love to tackle a classic shaped Davros.

If its successful. I will be posting pics for sure though to do them in larger numbers I am not sure. Though its a great project to get into.

Sorry, a little late to join in. I'd love to have some of the CO figs enlarged, especially some of the new Classic stuff! I've been casting over the past couple of years. Haven't used the Hydrospan yet, but wanted to note that this would still take at least three or maybe four molds to be created for each part being enlarged. That could get expensive. The stuff I get locally runs $30 and only gets me about 3 molds. But if anyone can find a supplier that has it cheap, I'd love to test it out.

Billy, would https://www.jgreer.com/ be a cheaper source? The more specific URLS are:
AeroMarine Casting Resin (one bottle of Component A and one bottle of Component B): https://www.jgreer.com/casting resin.htm
AeroMarine Silicone RTV Mold Rubber 28 Durometer Moldmaking Compound: https://www.jgreer.com/silicone page.htm

Based off WST's helpful list of "Things to en-biggen to 1:6 scale" I went through the thread so far and tried to list what everyone has suggested. (Please let me know if I missed something.) I tried to organize everything by whether we could enlarge it from an existing figure, or by whether we'd have to commission it (or make it ourselves) from scratch. Do we choose an item to make first based on how easy it would be? On how many people request it?

CO Figures Suggested for Enlargement
K-9
New Series Dalek
Face of Boe
Weeping Angels, Screaming Angel variants
Classic K1 Robot
Classic Zygon
Classic 4th Doctor 1st headsculpt (with hat) and sonic screwdriver
Nu-Who Sontarans
Genesis Ark
New series TARDIS console, girders

PE figures Suggested for Enlargement
Earthshock Cybermen and Cybermat/gun
Classic Dalek
Davros (chair, head, claw hand) from "Genesis Of The Daleks"

Things to Commission or to Help One Another Build
Wirrn from "The Ark in Space"
Space station corridor backdrops
The "Hand Of Fear"
4th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
UNIT Communicator
The Master's Tissue Compression Eliminator
The Key To Time
Dalek Emperor
Classic Sontaran kit ( head,helmet,hands,armor pieces and weapon )
Aging machine from City of Death?
1/6 Whomobile
classic series TARDIS Console Room kit (two parts- Tardis console, plus walls with roundells, video screen, columns, and doors) (4th Doctor's era?)

iv found coloumns for the tadis very easy to build out of foamcore....im trying to build a 1/6 scale master tardis from foamcore, the tardis the master has as seen in logopolis

I think it would be best to start with something fairly basic like a human head and go from there.
When I made casts of Star Wars heads I found that the more complex the sculpt the more problems with air bubbles I seemed to get and some of the aliens were very tricky to get perfect casts of.

after watching doctor who: the two doctors on dvd today i realised that a 1:6 scale sontaran heat ray gun was very easy to make

DSCF3816Correction.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

Back