Doctor Strange: the movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is magic. But you asked what do they call the staff in The Avengers. They call it alien technology. Two different conversations. You crazy coot.

It is magic. But you asked what do they call the staff in The Avengers. They call it alien technology. Two different conversations. You crazy coot.

Again rhetorical question. Did you read the whole post or just the first line. I never asked what the staff was I said how it works and I was not even asking, I know its magic because it sure the hell isnt science, brainwashing and illusion/disappearing holographic images. In avengers it was used as a plot device and u explained that plot device as magic, "it can do what it wants"

Anyway, so I think they'll just call it Alien Tech, which is basically magic anyway. So I wouldn't worry Marvel fans.

Yes, Hollywood is against movies with magic, apparently this mythical Hollywood place didn't have Harry Potter movies released there and don't know that shows about magic can **** piles of cash. :dunno

Good thing no one ever thought to make Narnia, LotR, or any of the other magic based series into movies, what a disaster those would have been. :lol

Remember that part in Harry potter an the Narnia movies and lord of the rings where they had space aliens and lasers and iron man mecha suits ?

Oh wait,. That didn't happen.

Or put more simply, Hollywood is afraid to mix genres of heavy magics and science fiction, becuase they're afraid that mixed genres like that will not sell, becuase it will confuse the audience. Fairview talks about this waaaaaaaay back when he was interviewed about why there was no mandarin in iron man 2.

And I agree, that mentality is stupid, but it's what the bigwigs think.

Remember that part in Harry potter an the Narnia movies and lord of the rings where they had space aliens and lasers and iron man mecha suits ?

Oh wait. That didn't happen.

Or put more simply, Hollywood is afraid to mix genres of heavy magics and science fiction, because they're afraid that mixed genres like that will not sell, becuase it will confuse the audience. Fairview talks about this waaaaaaaay back when he was interviewed about why there was no mandarin in iron man 2.

.....Now I am a lot less chuffed to see this movie. If they are prejudiced against the use of magic, this movie does not have a chance in hell of being any good.

I feel the exact same way about Carnage. There is absolutely no way a decent version of Carnage will ever, ever make it to the screen, so rather than see Carnage Lite with 25% fewer Calories!!, I'd just rather see nothing.

Oh wait,. That didn't happen.

Or put more simply, Hollywood is afraid to mix genres of heavy magics and science fiction, becuase they're afraid that mixed genres like that will not sell, becuase it will confuse the audience. Fairview talks about this waaaaaaaay back when he was interviewed about why there was no mandarin in iron man 2.

First of all, you said "Hollywood", not just MCU, secondly they've already introduced multiple magic systems in both Thor and the Avengers (Them using an alternative to Asgardian magics by using "Dark Magic" to transport).

You're saying using it along side space aliens and mecha suits is why they won't use magic?? Throw in demigods from legend and giant mutanting green monsters and you really think the franchise as a whole is worried about the use of magic?

Really? :slap

Again, people taking crap about the IM movies and applying it to Marvel as a Universe is asanine. Kind of like people worrying at the end of IM3 that Shane Black had retired IronMan until Whedon made it plenty clear that if he wants to utilize the character then its going to happen.

.....Now I am a lot less chuffed to see this movie. If they are prejudiced against the use of magic, this movie does not have a chance in hell of being any good.

Its chicken littling, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the director or someone like Fiege saying there will be no magic from Dr. Strange. :lecture

Whedon said specifically on Jimmy Fallon Live that he wanted soemthing visually interesting to showcase in Avengers 2, thats why hes tapped Scarlett Witch because of the "spell weaving" they can do on screen. Sounds magical to me.

I don't understand why people think Stark retried. He blew up his old suits, and now he'll make new suits.

First of all, you said "Hollywood", not just MCU, secondly they've already introduced multiple magic systems in both Thor and the Avengers (Them using an alternative to Asgardian magics by using "Dark Magic" to transport).

You're saying using it along side space aliens and mecha suits is why they won't use magic?? Throw in demigods from legend and giant mutanting green monsters and you really think the franchise as a whole is worried about the use of magic?

Really? :slap

Again, people taking crap about the IM movies and applying it to Marvel as a Universe is asanine. Kind of like people worrying at the end of IM3 that Shane Black had retired IronMan until Whedon made it plenty clear that if he wants to utilize the character then its going to happen.

Its chicken littling, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the director or someone like Fiege saying there will be no magic from Dr. Strange. :lecture

Whedon said specifically on Jimmy Fallon Live that he wanted soemthing visually interesting to showcase in Avengers 2, thats why hes tapped Scarlett Witch because of the "spell weaving" they can do on screen. Sounds magical to me.

Not really, no.
I'm Basing what I've said on things that the films have already done, and what was said about those films after they were released.

I'm Stating that this IS THE CURRENT STANCE AND STATE OF AFFAIRS SO FAR, And doing my best to explain why it is the current stance.

Yes, we have asgaurdian magic, and demigods and monsters in avengers that originated from Thor.

Except they don't call it that.
They call them Aliens, and Advanced science that has the appearence of magic.

The Upper level Bigwigs at MCU, are part of Hollywood, right? these films are major hollywood blockbusters being lorded over by producers and studios with the funding to make these films happen, right?
So my comment about Hollywood still stands.

And untill we have something On the screen, being shown to auidences worldwide, anything else is just, unfortunately, heresay.

I'm also saying that I think this mentality that has been presented to us is a bad Idea, and that The upper level guys enforcing this idea need to back off on it.

And I also think that the Doctor Strange Movie is the PERFECT Vehicle for them to do so.

What I don't know is whither or not they will, I can eaisly see it going either way. And I'm Very interested to see what they do, and what direction they decide to go. AND IF they decide to embrace magic as Magic (which is what I hope, personaly, for) How they go about doing it. THey've got a golden opportunity to resend a bad idea. I hope they embrace it. Whedon's inclusion of the Scarlet Witch, and "Spell weaving" gives me hope thay may go in that direction as well.

Chicken littleing? no, that would be something more like " BAwwwwwwwwww! iT'S GONNA BE TERRIBLE AND ONLY HAVE RAY GUNSD AND BASICLY BE FLASH GORDON INSTEAD OF dr strange !!!!" or words to that effect :lol

I would call my opinion more being Cautiously optimistic.
:peace

Niltusk: Its chicken littling, I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the director or someone like Fiege saying there will be no magic from Dr. Strange.

...But I *like* chicken-littling. :wink1: See: the Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread. [I really need to stay out of that one, but its such an irresistible target. Four villains and counting, a true cinematic extravaganza...]

Yes, this whole thing had me a little worried about Scarlet, because all she does is magic [to my knowledge...] it will be interesting to see how all this goes down.

They need a Unified Theory of Magick over at Marvel as far as these movies are concerned. Is it allowed or not? Since not allowing it makes things a lot less fun, and allowing it here but not over there makes even less sense, that they should relax and go with it.

Scarlet witch is actualy quite Fascinating. what she does isn't REALLY magic per-se, even in the comics. According to Dr. Strange, shortly before the no more mutants/house of M insanity, There is NO such thing as "chaos magic" that she uses to afect "probability fields". That is purely a concotion of her mind, and how she chooses to cope with the powers she DOES actualy have.

She's Magneto's daughter. Magneto has a mutant ability via his X-gene to Affect a Primal aspect of Reality. that of Magnetisim.

The son of charles Xavier has the ability to warp reality itself...
And so does the Scarlet witch. This power of hers terrifies her on a primal level, so she limits what she is able to do through the concept of "chaos magic" and "probability fields" which are PURELY ideas that she herself invented.

PER THE COMICS: Scarlet Witch's "Magic" is no more Magick than Kitty pride's phasing, Cyclops's Optic Blasts, or Xaviers Telepathy.

She simply chooses to present it as such.

Has Joss Whedon ever done done supernatural themes before?

Weedon isn't directing this, so it doesn't matter.

I don't understand why people think Stark retried. He blew up his old suits, and now he'll make new suits.

Because he got rid of his power source, blew up his armours and basically decared to Pepper that he wants a normal life with her.

He pretty much walked off into the sunset, the whole tone and actions say he's moved on.

more or less my point. I'm kinda hoping we get the "organic" extremis-driven suit from here on out.

Yeah, although I've never read them, someone described the Extremis and Bleeding Edge evolutions in the IM3 thread and it sounded cool as hell. I'd love to see that kind of tech on screen.

Weedon isn't directing this, so it doesn't matter.

Because he got rid of his power source, blew up his armours and basically decared to Pepper that he wants a normal life with her.

He pretty much walked off into the sunset, the whole tone and actions say he's moved on.

The Arc reactor stopped being the power source for him after the first film.

Back