Do you really need a complete Fellowship in Premium Format figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The rest of the Fellowship is complete -would you buy Merry, Sam and Pippin PFs?

• Yes, must have all 3!

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • I'd just get Sam

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I'd just get Merry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd just get Merry & Pippin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd just get Pippin

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
The best way to make the hobbits IMO would be either of these methods:

A) all 3 on one base. (Perhaps the scene hiding from the Ringwraith under the tree.)

B) Sam on his own and Merry and Pippen together (perhaps sitting on Treebeard).

I don't think selling 1, 1, 1 would be successful. But if you played them together in a "scene" they would work.

Something like this (minus Frodo) with the 3 back to back would look very cool and not take too much space.

hobbits.jpg

Last edited:
I would hope to see hobbits in the maquette line too, and maybe in their alternate costumes for this line, like Merry in his Rohan armor, Pippin in his Gondorian garb (minus the full diaper) and maybe Sam and Frodo in their Orc gear.... Too much to hope for, but I would love to see the Hobbits in their FOTR outfits in the PF line.

I would definately buy Samwise and Bilbo :rock
So out of the option I voted for Samwise as I don't think I would buy Merry & Pippin, I guess it would depend what they were like.
Samwise is a given for me though, hands down don't need to see the sculpt just gimme gimme gimme!
x

The best way to make the hobbits IMO would be either of these methods:

A) all 3 on one base. (Perhaps the scene hiding from the Ringwraith under the tree.)

B) Sam on his own and Merry and Pippen together (perhaps sitting on Treebeard).

I don't think that option A would sell as well, and it would frustrate most of the people who only want Sam as a companion for Frodo. Plus it would be really expensive (at least on the surface, until you consider the comparative cost of the separate PFs). Option B, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense. Most people who would want Merry would also want Pippin, and vice versa. It wouldn't be terribly expensive (unless they went with the Treebeard route ;)), and it would still allow the Sam-only collectors the chance to get him.

It wouldn't be terribly expensive

why would having multiple PFs together be any cheaper? they're still independent figures with costumes. Same R+D, material and construction costs as if they were separate. Only place I see any way to save some pennies is in having 1 big base instead of 3 smaller ones and 1 shipping box instead of 3. A Sam, Merry & Pippin PF, or just Merry and Pip, sold together would be right around the same price as each being a separate release.

I'm not sure a $600 Merry & Pippin is more attractive than 2 $300 PFs.

Last edited:
That's basically what I meant. There really is no significant difference between the cost of two or three separate PFs and the same number of figures combined into one offering. However, most people tend to balk initially when they see a higher price tag, even if what they receive for that price is no different from what they could buy as separate pieces. Some of that comes from budgetary constraints. If three PFs are released separately, and staggered over an 18 month period, then people are generally able to plan for it more easily than they would if all three went up for order as a single product.

So, my comments was meant to say that, if all three Hobbits were included in one PF offering, the price tag might discourage some people, but if only two are combined, then it might seem more approachable to those same people.

I would echo the statements of other by saying I think Merry and Pippen should come as a set and Sam by himself. I would prefer all them to look like they did in either of the first two movies, meaning no armor of any kind.

Or I would not be upset at all if they did a reboot on Frodo and have him and Sam come as a set as well. I really think they could produce a better frodo than the original. Of course, I would be happy with just getting the whole set, but if I can be picky I will :lol

I would think a 2 character Dio/PF like was done with the ROTS Yoda would be the best way to handle Merry and Pippin. I think that would provide enough bang to get people to buy them.

Sam could probably sell on his own, as enough people who own Frodo would want a Sam to go with him... at least that's what I think.

Most likely anyone getting a Merry would also get Pip, but the $600 price tag for both might be a turn off, especially when shipping time rolls around. It'd be nice if it was closer to Yoda/Trooper $350, but with all the cloth bits that ain't gonna happen.

Didn't Frodo retail for $250.00? If so, there may be some savings in having only one base shared between the two figures, but the actual figures and costuming doesn't "save" any money, as they would require the same design and sculpt work. Maybe Merry and Pippin would be closer to the $450 range?

I would buy them all, as long as Pippin doesn't look like he's poopin' :D

I would rather have the 3 other hobbits seperate, like Frodo, but if it's either, take Merry and Pippin as a pair, or forget it, then I'd take the pair.

i think a duo pf could be done cost effectively so that it sold for maybe 1.5 times the cost of a single.

Share a base
share a box
share freight and logistic costs
lower painting and assembly costs because its all done at once
shared marketing/selling costs
and lets not forget the savings on shipping to customers, especially those in the EU now paying the special fees.

Last edited:
i think a duo pf could be done cost effectively so that it sold for maybe 1.5 times the cost of a single.

Share a base
share a box
share freight and logistic costs
lower painting and assembly costs because its all done at once
shared marketing/selling costs
and lets not forget the savings on shipping to customers, especially those in the EU now paying the special fees.

Gotta agree.

You can't have Merry without Pippin. They go together like Amish people and minivans.

Back