dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Cicada!

Pretty happy with where I have Leia positioned, but have not locked her in to that spot yet. I’ve always liked her chat with the troops in the Hoth Hanger. There are two memorable poses for her while she delivered her speech. One is with her hands-behind-her-back and the other is the-arms-out-and-uplifted as she sends them on their way. I’m leaning more toward the hands-behind-her-back. I think it matches the stern look of the figure better. By the way, I can’t believe how great that figure of Leia turned out. Kinda a shame to have her that far back in the diorama.

Hoth 5.jpg

Thanks Chris! If ever you decide you are tired of having any of your cool custom Hoth figures on display at your place, let me know... I'll happily put them in the dio!

Still need to do… a lot of snow “weathering” on everything… Speeder, equipment, cables. The generic workers need to be weathered and head sculpts finalized. Thicker overhead cables. Need to weigh down all floor cables to make them look more real/less toy. Need to finalize positioning of Leia, the pilots she is talking to (including painting the helmets), and of the fella on top of the transom. Transom needs a ladder. Need to make some Rebel containers for additional atmosphere. Need to add a lot of snow piles/ice chunks around the edges of the dio.

Couple more shots from overhead:

Hoth 6.jpg

Hoth 7.jpg

This past couple of weeks I took some time to move the dio forward. Pretty happy with where it is so far.

View attachment 448945

I finally got the “snow” base laid down for this. I’ve had the base painted with white primer for years in anticipation of the inevitable snowy surface. I bought white tile grout powder a number of years ago for this project, so that has been on standby. Two weeks ago I laid down a fresh coat of white primer, then sprinkled the tile grout powder over the still-wet primer to get it to stick. Let it dry, then sprayed over the top of it with a mix of white glue and water. (1/3 glue / 2/3 water in a generic spray bottle). A couple coats of this and the surface is rock hard.

All your work is most impressive. Indeed a pleasure to behold.
Keep up the good work dls712!
m.

Here is where the Jabba dio is now. Room lights on and room lights off. Jabba’s place looks so much better in person with the room lights off. The palace lighting is so iconic in the movie. Outside lighting influences always seem to bring things down a few notches… even pictures taken on-set at the time with the “regular” lights on look pretty bland.

View attachment 448926

View attachment 448929

The walls are finally fully textured and painted. Still need to paint the design above Jabba’s arch. Need to finalize the game consoles. Need to finalize the lighting behind the BBQ. Need to get my stuff in gear and get started on my Enaud Squidhead & Klaatu. Need to make all of the other set pieces that are around the BBQ pit, pipes on the walls, etc. Hoping Hot Toys comes through on Lando!

I'm choosing this post because Jabba's Palace is my sentimental favorite, and seeing these pics makes me drool, but all of your displays are equally incredible. Really amazing and inspiring stuff! :clap

Can't wait to see future updates to your jaw-dropping museum of 1/6 awesomeness. You're a fantastic artist! :bow

I just went back over this thread, and I have to say I am super jealous and awestruck by your talent. So many cool things to see. Love all the retro movie stuff. Classic Sci-FI and Horror are the best.

By the way, really like the Jabba display; it’s hard to see due to the lighting, of course, but the texturing you did by hand looks very impressive — I don’t think I could have pulled that off. Excellent work all around.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Been a while since I posted in this thread... need to get some updated project photos taken and posted...

-
Dennis

Any Star Wars Galaxy?s Edge fans out there?

My wife and I made a trip to Walt Disney World in September, and we spent a decent amount of time at the Black Spire Outpost. I was pretty impressed how immersive the whole thing was. Not exactly like being in a Star Wars movie, but was still pretty cool. I think the thing that finally won me over was the high-five I received from Chewbacca as I passed him in the street. Fifty-two years old and still a little kid on the inside. Good times.

Anyway, as often happens when we make a trip to the Orlando parks, I was inspired to create another 1/6 scale display area for the basement.

The whole Galaxy?s Edge area is massive, with a lot of different diorama possibilities, and I was not sure exactly what I wanted to build. There is definitely a ?cylindrical construction with domed tops? vibe throughout the area. I knew I wanted to capture some of that.

Then I came across this official graphic:

1_Galaxy's Edge Logo.jpg

It struck me as having the right elements for what I wanted to build. The area in the red box is the basic thing I plan on making - two different towers connected by a bridge. Hopefully I can incorporate some of the petrified ?black spires? into this as well. The area I have available for this is 28? deep / 86.5? wide. It will be elevated on top of an existing display cabinet. Tower on the right will be a maximum height of 52?. The one on the left will be limited in height (to 38?) by an existing shelf that is over that side of the display area. Base for the right tower is 22? diameter. Have not totally locked down the diameter for the left tower, but my current mockup for that one is 16?. The whole area should allow for a number of action figures to be displayed. The timeline of this area in the parks is set basically after The Last Jedi movie. So, likely will have First Order Stormtroopers, Kylo Ren, Ray, Finn, BB-8 all here.

For the tower on the right, I like the design of a specific tower in Galaxy?s Edge that is next to the Millennium Falcon in the park. I?m not planning an exact replica of that, but taking that basic shape and using that for my inspiration. Below is a sketch of that tower from map of the area, a picture of the actual tower next to the Falcon, and my ?blueprint? of what I will be trying to put together.

2_BSO Tower.jpg

And? here is where I am so far. I had a Clonetrooper nearby when I took the photo, so I dropped him in to show scale. For the wooden base, I used a scroll saw to cut out the words ?Black Spire Outpost? in Aurebesh - the alphabet used throughout the Galaxy?s Edge land. The tower on the right is being constructed with layer upon layer of pink styrofoam insulation panels, cut into circles of varying diameters on a jig I made up just for this project. The inside of each disc is cut out, so the tower will be hollow on the inside. I will probably have an open door in the tower to allow for a figure or two to be displayed inside the tower?s base.

3_BSO Display.jpg

This is going to be epic!! I haven't heard much about Galaxy's Edge on these forums so nice to see some love! I went in September to DW and it was awesome! I have plenty of reference pics if you need them. Your display is going to be MASSIVE.

Wow, Dennis. This will be a fun follow - seeing your stages to completion. As all your dios, I?m sure this will come out amazing!

Stryker - I have not yet explored 3D printing on anything. I love the concept, but have not gone there (yet!).

I really enjoy the tactile experience of creating this stuff by hand.

:goodpost: and with you 100% on this comment.
(although I do 3d print...bit)

Fantastic builds and thank you for sharing.

Back