dls712's - 1/6 Scale Displays - Star Wars & Others

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m making some (slow) progress on BG-J38 and the gaming units. The figure and the consoles are mostly done. Still need a bit of refinement and then paint. After that I’ll finalize the lighted panels that fit into the game boxes.

I’ve been doing a bit of work on the arched area that these will fit into as well. So far I’m liking how this area of Jabba’s Palace is coming together.

Test shot of BG-J38 & game units before paint:

WOW! Just discovered this now and I'm awestruck! Incredible work.

I REALLY like the area for the original Star Wars figures. I remember those being all lined up under the tree at Christmas as well. The Death Squad Commander is really nice to see in that line up. Mind me asking what you did for the helmet?

Can't wait to see more.

John

Thanks Kozin -

The helmet for the Death Squad Commander comes fro the Hasbro Death Star Trooper figure - grabbed a photo off of ebay here:

My Commander is pretty basic... but number of folks on this board have done some excellent customs with that helmet. I suggest you check out Chakaman's custom thread... he has a number of photos and tips on putting together this guy and many other Imperial characters.

Just spent a really enjoyable half hour browsing this thread. Thank you!

Any chance of some more discussion of the 1/6 Rancor you mentioned? I would love to know how you planned to make this and see any photos.

TD - thanks for the kind words.

As far as the Rancor Monster is concerned… I probably started on this 10+ years ago… worked on it a bit, and haven’t revisited it since. I used the old AMT/Ertl model as the basic inspiration.

That kit also contains a figural model of a Gamorrean Guard. I scaled that little figure up to 1/6 scale size to get the calculation to scale up the Monster model to 1/6 scale size.

The very basic framework of the legs and body and head is done… metal rod, wood, construction foam, wallboard joint tape and compound. Still a lot more to do if I ever decide to finish it... please ignore the layers of dust... has been in a corner in the workshop since I last worked on it.

The plan for musculature would be to apply the same technique I used for the alien tentacles I made for the Men in Black display, and for the creature I made for the Monster that Challenged the World display… aluminum foil covered in drywall joint tape and compound, then layers of white glue, then paper towel, then layers of white glue. The more layers of glue in the end, the smoother the creature’s “skin”.

For the Men in Black alien, I did just a coat or two of glue at the end. That resulted in a leathery-look (see close-up below). That look is probably a little too intense for the Rancor Monster at 1/6 scale, so this guy would probably need a couple more coats of glue than the Men in Black alien.

Been a while since I've posted in this thread...

Hit a bit of a milestone today... thought I'd post a progress picture of the 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters Headquarters build (also posted the same in the Ghostbusters ECTO-1 thread in the General section today).

I'm getting close to finishing up on this. It was twelve years ago today I drew up the first plans for this project.

GB HQ before dullcote.jpg

Recently finished up the BBQ Table for the Jabba's palace dio.

There is room in it for a couple of those battery-op tea light flickering candles, so it looks like there is actually a lit fire in this.

1:6 scale Jabba BBQ.jpg

I am at the tail end of a much-appreciated break from work. I spent the vast majority of my waking hours over that time period working on my 1/6 scale projects. I took some updated photos this morning of what I have been working on lately. Will get them posted over the next couple of days.

I split my working time up between a number of the areas. Star Wars, New York City, 1950’s Sci-Fi, and Marvel Super Heroes all got some attention.

Let’s start with the 1950’s Sci-Fi. I gave the Barbie convertible a paint job to help it better resemble the car in the movie The Blob, at least from a paint scheme standpoint. The re-painted car is next to an unpainted one that I have on-hand for parts.

1950s car 1.jpg

I also fixed up the area where the car is on display. Finished the fence in front. Stained the fence in back and added a couple Drive-In food advertisement signs. I still need to finish up Steve McQueen (new outfit, possibly a new body), and need to complete the alien models from Invaders from Mars - they will be off to the right of the car, at the start of the string of 1950’s Sci-Fi figures and posters.

1950s car 2.jpg

I made some progress on the custom figure (statue?) I’m putting together for the Invaders from Mars display. On the left is an in-scale cardboard cutout of one of the aliens that I’m using as a guide. My attempt is on the right. Obviously he still needs quite a bit of work.

E v FS.jpg

Recently finished up the BBQ Table for the Jabba's palace dio.

There is room in it for a couple of those battery-op tea light flickering candles, so it looks like there is actually a lit fire in this.

View attachment 440911

Very cool; that’s one area of the Jabba dio I don’t have room for. How is your progress coming on the gaming consoles?

Back