Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so that's why all them style doors were on sale on the ikea website.:monkey3
No matter to me anyways as i was going to design my own hanging door system. my one kid has this system in her bedroom and i've never liked the door system. way to heavy and very little if any sealing abililty for collectables.

I'm currently searching for alternative door methods. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm currently searching for alternative door methods. Any info would be appreciated.

i was simply going to make one big door that would hang with pins on the top and rest flat on the front face of the cabinets. it would look just like the original door, except be one piece and made out of ripped plywood and trimmed to look like solid wood, as well using the plastic sheets in place of glass to keep the wieght down.

once completed they would sit tightly against the cabinets and if needed put some foam stripping to make it dust free.

i was simply going to make one big door that would hang with pins on the top and rest flat on the front face of the cabinets. it would look just like the original door, except be one piece and made out of ripped plywood and trimmed to look like solid wood, as well using the plastic sheets in place of glass to keep the wieght down.

once completed they would sit tightly against the cabinets and if needed put some foam stripping to make it dust free.

As far as opening and closing? Just swinging it up and holding it? It's 92 inches so thats a lot of room to keep clear for that purpose. That's a big swinging door.

As far as opening and closing? Just swinging it up and holding it? It's 92 inches so thats a lot of room to keep clear for that purpose. That's a big swinging door.

no i was just going to have it held with vertical pins and lift if off as i needed too, which wouldn't be very often and just set the door against a wall etc.

2dufgj5.jpg

28hcwhh.jpg

here is some doors that i custom made for another Ikea wardrobe system i think it's Pax. they didn't have any doors to fit the top half of the system, let along clear glass. so i made them out of a couple peices of molding and glass in this case since they're smaller and wouldn't be as heavy.

Last edited:
no i was just going to have it held with vertical pins and lift if off as i needed too, which wouldn't be very often and just set the door against a wall etc.

here is some doors that i custom made for another Ikea wardrobe system i think it's Pax. they didn't have any doors to fit the top half of the system, let along clear glass. so i made them out of a couple peices of molding and glass in this case since they're smaller and wouldn't be as heavy.

Did you mean to link a photo?

Well it looks like my Ikea still has some in stock but they are getting low. Looks like I'll be making a run down there tomorrow. I still want to get one more PAX set up......

Also discontinued? Wait... maybe not. Are you sure they would work?

Pretty sure.....same exact dimensions, plus they go together pretty much the same according to the instructions. The only difference I can see is they have 4 dark panels instead of 3 frosted ones, and they have no rubber bushings holding the panels tightly in the door. If you are close to an Ikea go and check them out and see if they will work for sure.

Last edited:
There are so many threads on this, but here's a quick look at my set up. Please be advised this is not a final resting place for my PF's and many changes will be made once we move. But it gives you an idea.

DSCN4766_zpsd494dcd8.jpg

Nice display there Buffy. I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to display my statues yet since moving over to PF's. I've only got one at the moment but come June, July I should hopefully have at least 5. Depending on statues getting delayed or not. I'm hoping the new Hulk will fit into a Besta but I really need to go check the measurements before buying anything.

Terrible news for us PAX fans... The doors are discontinued.

That's unfortunate. But those sliding doors in below link will work too same idea $100 more expensive is all, check the installation manual, the door frame is also assembled same way. However i would highly recommend going with the single panel acrylic approach by removing the horizontal beams i posted a while back instead of the many smaller acrylic panels in my original post. The reason is because at 4x panels, each will only have ~21" height, given the deep shelves of 22" it will not display well at all not to mention a lot of wasted shelf spaces. So use this door frame just like other one, and go with 2 single panel.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29898771/

edit: you CANNOT use acrylic panel dimensions posted for the other door, need to order the new doors first, measure it yourself, then order the acrylic panels. As they have different frame width, my acrylic panel dimensions for the old sliding doors will not work for the new one.

That's unfortunate. But those sliding doors in below link will work too same idea $100 more expensive is all, check the installation manual, the door frame is also assembled same way. However i would highly recommend going with the single panel acrylic approach by removing the horizontal beams i posted a while back instead of the many smaller acrylic panels in my original post. The reason is because at 4x panels, each will only have ~21" height, given the deep shelves of 22" it will not display well at all not to mention a lot of wasted shelf spaces. So use this door frame just like other one, and go with 2 single panel.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29898771/

edit: you CANNOT use acrylic panel dimensions posted for the other door, need to order the new doors first, measure it yourself, then order the acrylic panels. As they have different frame width, my acrylic panel dimensions for the old sliding doors will not work for the new one.

Those doors don't use the rubber bushings like the lyngdal doors use to hold the panels in tightly. I guess you'd have to come up with some other way to keep the acrylic from rattling. The uggdal doors are made the same way but are $50 cheaper.

Those doors don't use the rubber bushings like the lyngdal doors use to hold the panels in tightly. I guess you'd have to come up with some other way to keep the acrylic from rattling. The uggdal doors are made the same way but are $50 cheaper.

masking tape and silicone/caulking:lecture

I think if you just make the thickness of the acrylic panel the same as the glass panels it came with, should be okie. Worst case push in some soft putty(used to hang photos) around the gaps between the frame using a screwdriver and you are good to go.

Gagaliya,

Another member posted this:

I was gonna buy one on friday too. Only one I see now is the 78 3/4 x 26 x 92 7/8. I'm wondering if the size of the acrylic panel changes now too?

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if the 26" depth is going to work as opposed to the 25 3/4"? It's only a 1/4" difference but everyone says to get the 25"???

Also it looks like Ikea doesn't sell the wood shelves anymore, just glass.

This sucks because I've been waiting for some cash I've got coming to build the PAX, now they stop selling them! :gah:

I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if the 26" depth is going to work as opposed to the 25 3/4"? It's only a 1/4" difference but everyone says to get the 25"???

Also it looks like Ikea doesn't sell the wood shelves anymore, just glass.

This sucks because I've been waiting for some cash I've got coming to build the PAX, now they stop selling them! :gah:

You can probably make the shelving yourself. Although I was able to order shelves.

Can someone tell me if this size PAX will work? 78 3/4x26x92 7/8. The shelves are only 22 7/8" so it seems like there might be some gap with the 26" deep PAX?

Back