Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, my bookshelf is actually 15.5" deep, so it can't be a BILLY. BILLY bookshelves are 11" it seems and BESTA's are 15.5" .. so, I guess it's a BESTA? Billy won't work. Green Lantern is 15" wide, so, he wouldn't fit in a BILLY. Ughhhhh!!!

alright, I'm going to just use what I have with no doors and going to buy a new bookshelf for my books. Done deal.

Welp, my bookshelf is actually 15.5" deep, so it can't be a BILLY. BILLY bookshelves are 11" it seems and BESTA's are 15.5" .. so, I guess it's a BESTA? Billy won't work. Green Lantern is 15" wide, so, he wouldn't fit in a BILLY. Ughhhhh!!!

alright, I'm going to just use what I have with no doors and going to buy a new bookshelf for my books. Done deal.

FYI, Ikea did make of a version of the Billy bookcase that was 15" deep but was stupidly discontinued by them just recently. Ikea now only lists the Billy as 11" deep and thats the only one they sell now :(

.. that makes sense. I've been going nuts trying to figure out how I have a 15" deep Billy. Or.. a birch extra wide BESTA lol. This has been driving me crazy.

Almost got my 2 Pax complete. I am looking for a nice, stylish hinge as the acrylic ones from Tap Plastic are not able to support the extruded acrylic doors.

My setup consist of:

- two 29.5" x 93 1/8" and 22 7/8" in depth Pax
- two extruded acrylic panels from Tap Plastics (29.5" x 90 1/8") - the regular acrylic were too expensive
- 2 acrylic door knobs from Tap Plastics (in orange)
- 6 acrylic door hinges (in red) - I will be removing these once I find some quality hinges. Currently the doors are being supported by wood blocks (in yellow)
- 2 magnetic door catches from Tap Plastics

IMG_2822.JPG

Almost got my 2 Pax complete. I am looking for a nice, stylish hinge as the acrylic ones from Tap Plastic are not able to support the extruded acrylic doors.

My setup consist of:

- two 29.5" x 93 1/8" and 22 7/8" in depth Pax
- two extruded acrylic panels from Tap Plastics (29.5" x 90 1/8") - the regular acrylic were too expensive
- 2 acrylic door knobs from Tap Plastics (in orange)
- 6 acrylic door hinges (in red) - I will be removing these once I find some quality hinges. Currently the doors are being supported by wood blocks (in yellow)
- 2 magnetic door catches from Tap Plastics

View attachment 168448

Wow, that looks really good. Sorry it doesn't support it, though :(. What if you were to go with 5-6 on each side, do you think it would support it then?

Also, did you have to pick up the doors or were they able to deliver them to you? It's asking me to call to negotiate shipping options/price. Thanks!

IKEA REGISSÖR (46.5" wide x 79" high x 15" deep - half-width version also available) REGISSÖR Glass-door cabinet - IKEA

regissor-glass-door-cabinet-brown__0324453_PE404562_S4.JPG

For door hackers:

IKEA KVIKNE (79" high x 22.5" deep - no width specified) KVIKNE Wardrobe with 2 sliding doors - IKEA

kvikne-wardrobe-with-sliding-doors-white__0261027_PE405340_S4.JPG

This one is only $150 in Canada WITH the sliding doors. Includes 2 shelves, more sold separately. The only caveat at the moment is that you may not be able to remove the horizontal mullions within each door frame. But this could be a good lower priced alternative to Pax.

Last edited:
Drilling holes in acrylic can be done, but it's a painstaking process. You have to start with a very small bit, then keep gradually increasing the size of your bit and re-drilling until you get to your desired size of hole.

If your hole is going to be exposed in the finished product, I would try to avoid doing it...the material can crack easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a special-purpose drill bit with a less aggressive cut angle and slow speed. If you're making a bunch of holes, it's worth the investment.

Wow, that looks really good. Sorry it doesn't support it, though :(. What if you were to go with 5-6 on each side, do you think it would support it then?

Also, did you have to pick up the doors or were they able to deliver them to you? It's asking me to call to negotiate shipping options/price. Thanks!

Follow up to my original post. I went ahead and called them because I was curious about their hinges. The guy basically said to use the acrylic cement to connect the hinge to the acrylic itself (which it looks like you already did), and E6000 adhesive to bond to the pax unit. He said you could drill into it, but because the hinge is small, it "might" be damaged, but he said he doesn't see a reason to drill as the E6000 is really strong. He just suggested since this piece is rather long/on the heavy side, he recommended we use 4-5 hinges for proper support.

Unfortunately for me, shipping (freight) is going to cost roughly $150 (roughly the price of 2 sheets :(), so I may have to go with the local company instead if I can find someone with a truck:(

I was thinking of putting 6 hinges on each side but I think eventually the cement will break from either the acrylic or Pax due to the weight of the acrylic. I used E6000 btw.

Due to the size of the panels, I did not have the option to get it shipped to me. It was no problem though as Tap Plastics was only 10 - 15 miles from my house. I just had to ask a friend to borrow his truck.

I decided to go with these for hinges.

Capture.JPG

Clarity and optical-wise, I think the Plexiglass is as good as glass.

I was thinking of putting 6 hinges on each side but I think eventually the cement will break from either the acrylic or Pax due to the weight of the acrylic. I used E6000 btw.

Due to the size of the panels, I did not have the option to get it shipped to me. It was no problem though as Tap Plastics was only 10 - 15 miles from my house. I just had to ask a friend to borrow his truck.

I decided to go with these for hinges.

View attachment 168722

Clarity and optical-wise, I think the Plexiglass is as good as glass.

Cool, let me know how this option turns out. I will be ordering my panels soon, so I will try out the 5-6 hinges with cement to see if it can hold and keep everyone updated.

Cool, let me know how this option turns out. I will be ordering my panels soon, so I will try out the 5-6 hinges with cement to see if it can hold and keep everyone updated.

Finally finished after so many trial and errors and almost butchering up my PAX. I ended up putting 6 hinges on each side due to the flimsiness of having such a large Plexiglass. I had to resort to another type of hinge. This type is screwed in to the front frame of the PAX and in to the acrylic. I got them from Orchard Supply Hardware. To get these hinges to work, I had to resize the Plexiglass to the shelf width instead of the whole PAX. The panels were cut to 29.5" originally. It was resized to 28" to match the width of the shelves.

Thanks to gagaliya who suggested to go the PAX route.

IMG_2843.JPG

Turned out great, I'm glad you were able to make it work.

For my dual Pax, I'm considering ordering x8 22.5" acrylic sheets (8 individual open doors) instead of 2 large 90" sheets + the clear acrylic hinges (by tap plastics) as I really do not want to go through the hassle again.

I might do it this weekend as I just picked up this bad boy and am REALLY excited to get this display finished.
11051932_10205412082372747_8519683579131802227_n.jpg

I know we've moved on in the conversation, but Billys really are great for 1/6 with the glass doors. I've had one for years. I'd suggest seeing if they still make glass shelves as replacements - they won't sag over time, and if you rig it up with a lighting kit, the light filters through the levels.

I know we've moved on in the conversation, but Billys really are great for 1/6 with the glass doors. I've had one for years. I'd suggest seeing if they still make glass shelves as replacements - they won't sag over time, and if you rig it up with a lighting kit, the light filters through the levels.
I got my Billy back in November, and when I went to Ikea they were selling the old glass shelves for the deep Billy for a dollar a piece and also had glass shelves for the 11in deep Billy for $12 if I remember correctly. They only hold 22lbs, though, I think.
The one thing I learned is to put the glass shelves in before you put the doors on. I have the Morliden doors and I can't put the glass shelves in their little holders because I can't fit the glass past the doors, so it sits on top the brackets. I had to put some rubberized placemat under the glass to keep it from sliding all over on the brackets.
uploadfromtaptalk1425505888338.jpg

Billy are awesome and I'm pretty sure they still have glass shelves for them as I remember seeing some when I was last in the store.

Turned out great, I'm glad you were able to make it work.

For my dual Pax, I'm considering ordering x8 22.5" acrylic sheets (8 individual open doors) instead of 2 large 90" sheets + the clear acrylic hinges (by tap plastics) as I really do not want to go through the hassle again.

I might do it this weekend as I just picked up this bad boy and am REALLY excited to get this display finished.
11051932_10205412082372747_8519683579131802227_n.jpg

Hopefully the acrylic hinges will hold - I don't have enough confidence and switched to the metal hinges. Even though they are not as aesthetically pleasing, they do the job. I can always paint them white to make it look nice.

Good thing for the PAX as it is able to hold the SS Hulk compared to a Besta or a Billy bookcase.

Back