Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a complete moron when if comes to this type of stuff. That being said will this set up work if I just buy the full PAX and order the acrylic panels to be the same size as the glass inserts? Essentially just remove the frosted glass and replace them with the acrylic?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29931313/#/S8993202

9705192747_0516f32fd8.jpg
[/url]image by -Tavegg-[/IMG]

78 3/4 x 26 x 93 1/8 are the measurements on the website.

I am a complete moron when if comes to this type of stuff. That being said will this set up work if I just buy the full PAX and order the acrylic panels to be the same size as the glass inserts? Essentially just remove the frosted glass and replace them with the acrylic?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29931313/#/S8993202

9705192747_0516f32fd8.jpg
[/url]image by -Tavegg-[/IMG]

78 3/4 x 26 x 93 1/8 are the measurements on the website.

Yup, exactly. But measure the glass before you order to make sure it fits. I actually bought full height acrylic panels for mine (picked up locally), and left out the spacer bars.

Yup, exactly. But measure the glass before you order to make sure it fits. I actually bought full height acrylic panels for mine (picked up locally), and left out the spacer bars.

Thanks B. so when your saying to measure the glass, you mean the glass on the Besta I'm replacing correct? I just need to order two long pieces of acrylic that are the same width and height of the glass inserts but instead of separating the panels you just measured total height and width on each Door?

I used Auli doors on mine. I bought just the door frames from ikea, and got a couple full height acrylic panels made a local shop. Turned out great.

can you post some phots, i am curious to see how they look compared to the old silver frame doors. I think those new ones look better as the frames are thinner = less intrusive.

Thanks B. so when your saying to measure the glass, you mean the glass on the Besta I'm replacing correct? I just need to order two long pieces of acrylic that are the same width and height of the glass inserts but instead of separating the panels you just measured total height and width on each Door?

Yeah, but I guess the point is for you to not buy the glass in the first place. At my ikea, they let you mix and match the door frames and inserts to get the look you want. So, the frames and the inserts come in different packages. Basically, you write down the item number for the frames only, and just go down to the warehouse and buy those alone, without the inserts (the inserts are not cheap, so avoid buying them if you can).

In the pics below, you can see there is a lip around the edge of the frame that the panels slide into. Basically, measure the clear distance BETWEEN the lips, then get out a ruler and measure under the lips. Add it all up, and I took off 1/16th of an inch to make sure it fit.

can you post some phots, i am curious to see how they look compared to the old silver frame doors. I think those new ones look better as the frames are thinner = less intrusive.

IMG_8541-001.JPG

IMG_8542-001.JPG

IMG_8543-001.JPG

IMG_8544-001.JPG

IMG_8546-001.JPG

What lights are those?

They are the kompliment lights from ikea. They come in perfect widths for the various sizes of PAX. The lights aren't cheap...in fact they cost more than the pax unit itself, but they make it an awesome display. Check out my collection thread, I have a few pics in there with the lights on.

For those of us using the Komplement lights...I've found that by running a piece of masking tape over the led's you can vary the brightness. It also adds a slight yellowish tint to the light which looks great in reflections off chrome, and looks great on skin tones. A very simple trick, but works great IMO.

Just wanted to say thanks to gagaliya, bmutha, and others for all the info regarding the custom pax! I wouldn't have been able to build one without you guys :1-1:

Very nice sano! Some really cool pieces in there. Must feel great to finally have the depth to set up teams. Did you have a lot of trouble finding the right acryl size (or a shop that sells it)>

Very nice sano! Some really cool pieces in there. Must feel great to finally have the depth to set up teams. Did you have a lot of trouble finding the right acryl size (or a shop that sells it)>

Thanks! I love displaying my statues in teams so I try to do that if I can. No actually, it was such a relief to find out that there was a local acrylic shop in my area. :yess: I called them, gave them the measurements for the acrylic sheets that I needed, and I was able to pick it up the very next day. Measuring the exact size needed was a bit tricky though because I had to triple check to make sure the acrylic fits. It was worth all that effort though :)

Thanks! I love displaying my statues in teams so I try to do that if I can. No actually, it was such a relief to find out that there was a local acrylic shop in my area. :yess: I called them, gave them the measurements for the acrylic sheets that I needed, and I was able to pick it up the very next day. Measuring the exact size needed was a bit tricky though because I had to triple check to make sure the acrylic fits. It was worth all that effort though :)

How exactly did you measure for the acrylic? What dimensions did you end up with?

Great display btw!

Back