Disapointments and Surprises from this years Con

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprises
Giles...not really too much of a surprise, but a *huge* plus. The Buffy figure I've been waiting for.

Norrington in the NECA series....don't collect this scale, but a Norrington figure will tempt me into purchasing a few of the Pirates figures....

Disappointments
It seems Majestic has no second series of Dark Shadows figures planned, because none are on display from the pictures I've seen. So there goes what would've been my favorite line.

Last edited:
Surprises: Well I think the Jabba set just stealed the Show !!!
-Hulk PF F*****ing awesome !!!

Disappointement:

-No Jasons, no 12'' in the new line horror category.
-Sith Anakin eyebrows....Come on....Sideshow...watch those paint app..those are really, really bushy...I cant even see Hayden in that sculpt anymore...thats a shame for the sculptor.

Last edited:
Surprises: SS Spike! SS Spike! SS Spike!:lol

Wow now nearly everything is a 'surprise' as I didnt know any of this was coming so my faves are:
Spike
CM Indy & Sparrow - cant afford but WOW.
Magneto surprisingly, love the design
Lorne and Giles.
SS Hulk - unreal andy.

And not so much a dissapointment but, PF Buffy alterations dont seem to have done much, I thought it would make the hair more natural and full. Its still doesnt look realistic. And the 'assets' arent very well distinguished anymore. Like someone said its like a 'uniboob':lol
Her skins also one tone and shiny.:rolleyes:
Meh...overall Im still glad we have it.:lol

Disappointments:

Lack of 12" LOTR

Surprises:

Hulk PF looking as cool as it does.
Indy and Jack Cinemaquettes.

This SDCC also left me reconsidering the way my collection is going to go. Definitely a turning point for me as a collector as there is so much stuff coming out.

Disappointed:

No Alien(s) 1/4 scale Maquette
No company presented the Eragon licence (or I missed it....?)
No new interesting new 1/4 scales for me
Likeness of CMs Indy

Suprises:

Hunter Killer
Likeness of CMs Jack Sparrow
Gentle Giant HP busts: looking good (even though I would have liked to see Fleur)

Suprises
Star Wars
GG Harry Potter Bust
Horror Dioramas
Spike PF

Disapointments
Hulk PF
Cave Troll Legendary Bust (have it already)

I was a little let down that the Boba Fett PF was inside a display case, making it difficult for me to walk away with it...

I was surprised that during the Doors of Indecision, the kid drawing the numbers chose himself, his friend, and his friend's dad out of all the tickets (one of which was one digit away from my number). I could have had a Cave Troll hammer or an Electric Tiki Hellboy statue.

:monkey2

I'm a bit disapointed that SS allowed attendees to place orders for Priority Preorder products. :tap New items is one thing but Priority Preorder items are different.

I thought SS's policy was that newsletter subscribers got first dibs on Priority Preorder products. Am I wrong? :confused: :confused:

Here's a direct quote from SS's website:
Priority Pre-ordering is a Sideshow Collectibles Newsletter feature which allows our newsletter members an opportunity to pre-order a special item before it is offered for sale to the general public.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=prioritypreorder

The whole purpose of Priority Preorder is that newsletter subscribers DO get first dibs. By putting the PPO items on sale at the Con they are actually selling the items to the public which goes against their entire PPO system. You can't tell me that everyone who placed an order at the Con was a newsletter subscriber.

This is going to make getting the Exclusives 10 times harder since half are probably all ready gone. :(

I think they would bump the edition size up (which is still bad) rather than leaving us non-attendees out in the cold.

I see what you are saying though.

Surprised: Obviously the Scope of Jabba and the set up is pretty monumental.

Dissapointment: Price is really high for Jabba, and I would have liked more variety in the figures... I like the idea of figures working together, but still would have liked another Sith or a Cantina Alien.
Overall other companies have left me pretty meh...
And lest we forget:
No Medieval F'n Kurgan!!!​

My favorite Sideshow piece has got to be the Premium Format Hulk!! That thing looks incredible. I cannot wait to see it in person this weekend.

I guess I'm dissappointed that there weren't more real surprises. Toy Fair seemed like it had a lot more going on in terms of new licences, etc. I like the new Terminator stuff but would love to see a 1/4 Terminator and Sarah Conner.

Disapointments

Everything is either grey or animated

or done already by other companies, like:
GG LOTR Bust - Weta did it
SS Cave Troll Bust - Weta did it
We have a SS Spidey bust and an MR Spidey Mask
SS Morgul Lord Bust - UC 1:1 Helm
more Hulk, more Doom

However the SS Star Wars stuff rocks the house

Surprises
-Giles
-Lorne
-PF Spike
-Jabba & all his other stuff
-Bib
-Leia as Boushh

Disapointments
-No KISS 1/6th Scale or any new Legendary Musicians announcments
-No new Lord of the Rings 1/6th Scale announcments
-No new Horror 1/6th Scale announcments

NASEDO said:
Disapointments

Everything is either grey or animated

or done already by other companies, like:
GG LOTR Bust - Weta did it
SS Cave Troll Bust - Weta did it
We have a SS Spidey bust and an MR Spidey Mask
SS Morgul Lord Bust - UC 1:1 Helm
more Hulk, more Doom

However the SS Star Wars stuff rocks the house

Agree about the animated stuff... I thought it was really cool at first but as a concept it has gone too far... The grey animated stuff almost seems like a joke... Sideshow silver screen editions at least have some basis in fact.

Is it possible for a design concept to 'jump the shark'? If so than the moment I saw those McFarlane animated pieces I knew the idea had played itself out.

Rugby1970 said:
Agree about the animated stuff... I thought it was really cool at first but as a concept it has gone too far... The grey animated stuff almost seems like a joke... Sideshow silver screen editions at least have some basis in fact.

Is it possible for a design concept to 'jump the shark'? If so than the moment I saw those McFarlane animated pieces I knew the idea had played itself out.

I agree too. You should only have an animated line if there's actually an animated series. Spawn had one years ago on HBO but the designs looked nothing like these.

The only thing I am buying from the new announcements is Magneto Maquette and some GG items (not animated :emperor )

Disappointments:

So many SW items.
Again a cave troll bust?
Again Hulk
Again Doom
Buffy's final sculpt looks horrible, will be cancelling
WTF with this animated line ?

I hate same characters being done over and over again and even SS is doing the same thing :emperor

There will be a beautiful 1/6 Jabba on my dresser. For this alone, I call this SDCC a rousing success. For this alone, I have no cause to complain about the lack of 1/6 LOTR announcements or the coveted 12" Palpatine I'm waiting for.

Jabba is coming.

agreed Mike!

I just ordered the whole Jabba and his throne 'n' cronies.
I think SS will announce another LOTR 12" within the next two weeks (Its my prediction and Im sticking to it :monkey5

PS. If you do decide to sell your Nazi Kroenen, PM me your price as I would be interested in taking him. (I say this without much thought to the combined $351.99 for jabba and the $549.99 Yoda Bust I will be payin for):emperor

Back