Did you know eBay was charging an additional fee for shipping?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only sell on amazon, there is no Paypal fee over there and they only have one fee it seems, sometimes is high but they tell you exactly what they will take before you post the item, I have never sold on Ebay because of this, it seemed too complicated, seemed like amazon would be easier
someone told me amazon fees are worst than ebay, but I don't know, they dont charge 3 different fees,

I am thinking about filing a complaint to the BBB tomorrow. They can not get away with this!

WTF is wrong with you? It's THEIR company not yours or anyone else's. they make their own rules so of course they can get away with it. stop crying and be a man. or dont use their services.

Taking the piss charging on postage though.
You could allow the final selling fee and paypal fee but postage how is that right?
I tried that overinflating the postage trick with low starting bid and they spotted it immediatley but do sometimes still see people doing it, but that's no reason for an extra charge.
Is this for private sellers or buisness or both?

I haven't sold on ebay in a long time for these reasons.Final Value fee is like 12% on Fixed price right?And on top of that it's 9% of the shipping cost,not 21% of the Final price(Shipping included)?

Last edited:
WTF is wrong with you? It's THEIR company not yours or anyone else's. they make their own rules so of course they can get away with it. stop crying and be a man. or dont use their services.

I have no problem paying eBay or PayPal fees. What I have a problem is paying fees that you make zero dollars on which a customers pays for it! This is pure greed. We are talking about 10s of millions of dollars (probably more) that eBay has profited by charging a fee to ship items to consumers.

If more sellers would spot this, there will be complaints and I bet you there would be a class action lawsuit against them.

Sellers will ultimately raise the shipping cost to offset this fee charge and I gurantee the buyers would get all upset that they think we are overcharging them.

The bottom line is that they should not take money to ship stuff in expense of the seller.

Just to let you know that it can cost 3 to 4 times the cost to ship items from Canada to USA. We are not talking about pennies here. Your statement or lack of it, is complete idiotic at best!

Last edited:
I knew about this long ago, but was very unhappy with it, obviously. I try not to sell on ebay any more. But I can't help but buy with them.

If people payed more attention to the emails eBay sends out, they wouldn't need to create thread after thread essentially crying about their own incompetence. This should surprise nobody who reads their emails or their seller agreements with eBay. :huh

If you don't like paying the extra fees, include them in your asking price and pass them on to the customer, or don't use eBay. It's that easy.

Plus on certain items Ebay restricts your shipping cost to what they think is the cost---like say if you were to sell a game console and for you the shipping cost is $30, Ebay says it's $20 and you can't make it any higher than that.

Plus on certain items Ebay restricts your shipping cost to what they think is the cost---like say if you were to sell a game console and for you the shipping cost is $30, Ebay says it's $20 and you can't make it any higher than that.

List it in a different category. I had that issue with a PS2 RE Chainsaw controller. They were stating shipping was only $5 (which it wasn't - especially if I wanted to get it, in it's case, to the buyer in mint), so I just listed it as a collectible (which it is) so that I could post an accurate shipping price.

This has been implemented for quite some time. I usually charge a $.75-$1 handling fee to make up for the additional fee eBay charges me. Buyers should be looking at the total cost (including shipping) before making a purchase decision. I may be making ever so slightly less on auctions because of the ever so slightly higher shipping price I charge, but fixed priced items are all the same. I pass on the costs to my customers as much as I can, just like big businesses, but in the end buyers set the prices on eBay so it's up to them what they are willing to pay.

Yeah, this was unfortunate for me to see because I never tried to screw eBay out of shipping fees but was punished for those who did, but I completely understand eBay's POV. And really, if eBay sees a way to charge an additional fee to sellers for any reason that doesn't directly and significantly impact their willingness to list items they're eventually gonna go there. What look like exceptions (free auction listings, free pictures) aren't really set up to benefit sellers, so much as to increase the amount sold and increase eBay's profits based on final value fees (which are always going up).

I could deal with all that stuff, though. The always increasing incidence of unreasonable/crybaby buyers is the thing that makes eBay that much harder for me to justify using as time goes on.

Solution: Include shipping cost in the item price and offer free shipping.

Never even thought of doing this.

How would this work? You would still pay 9% fee on your final selling price? This would also be a huge deterent for people to buy your stuff because they would think your prices are ridiculously high.

How would this work? You would still pay 9% fee on your final selling price? This would also be a huge deterent for people to buy your stuff because they would think your prices are ridiculously high.

Depends on how much you were planning on charging them for shipping. If you're selling a figure and it cost $10 to ship, I doubt they'd notice $10 more in the price.

Depends on how much you were planning on charging them for shipping. If you're selling a figure and it cost $10 to ship, I doubt they'd notice $10 more in the price.

Oh they notice. I sold a book with a shipping of $15 & I was billed a fee of $1.35 for it.

Well, it seems to me that every seller would raise prices accordingly so that all prices would be higher. Therefore your prices would not be much higher than anyone elses.

I have no problem paying eBay or PayPal fees. What I have a problem is paying fees that you make zero dollars on which a customers pays for it! This is pure greed. We are talking about 10s of millions of dollars (probably more) that eBay has profited by charging a fee to ship items to consumers.

If more sellers would spot this, there will be complaints and I bet you there would be a class action lawsuit against them.

Sellers will ultimately raise the shipping cost to offset this fee charge and I gurantee the buyers would get all upset that they think we are overcharging them.

The bottom line is that they should not take money to ship stuff in expense of the seller.

Just to let you know that it can cost 3 to 4 times the cost to ship items from Canada to USA. We are not talking about pennies here. Your statement or lack of it, is complete idiotic at best!

That's a lot of words when you could have simply wrote "WAHHHHHHHH!!!! :monkey2" and it would have been the same.

It's because of idiots who were posting $0.99 auctions with $500 shipping to get around ebay fees.
This.

You have those people to blame for all of it. Anytime rules are implemented in a society, most of the time it was due to a group of dumbasses who were abusing the system prior to said ruling. Case in point.

Anyway, just offer free shipping and slightly adjust the sale price to make up for some of the shipping charge. It's the way a lot of sellers get around it.

Back