Dexter Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, are we to assume that the fireworks at the end are to signify romantic "fireworks" for next season? It reminded me of the end to Season 3 with the blood on Rita's dress and what was to come for the end of Season 4. I mean, with this show there is still the possibility that they make you think they'll go there and then they never do.

To me, it looks like that's where they are going. I mean, imagine Dexter & Debra trying to destroy evidence while they blend in at work. I could see them going back to their old season 1 brother & sister routine easily....eating lunch together, solving crimes, etc. then at night it could be something entirely different. Then, you got that psycho jaded lover out there watching, seeing them get closer and closer. I just wonder if Hannah would be shaped into a serious threat or just another Loius?

I agree about the writing, alot of times it is so brilliant at the quirky things but they seriously drop the ball on the factual CSI type stuff. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, introducing the phone GPS thing is now something you can't un-do. This is something Dexter should've factored in from the very start. It really takes away from the "Neat Monster" they painted him as from day 1.

So, are we to assume that the fireworks at the end are to signify romantic "fireworks" for next season?

The writers don't do much in the way for foreshadowing. . . I'm not trying to read into anything

I just wonder if Hannah would be shaped into a serious threat or just another Loius?

Speaking of Louis, if what was said earlier about him leaving is true, if they DID have a larger plan for him, but the actor left the show unexpectedly, I'm hoping and praying that Quinn hooking up with Jaime will put Quinn on the path Louis was on, to reveal Dexter's secret. and not just be another "Oh look, Quinn's trying to have sex with someone again". He already knows Dexter's into some weird ****. When he joined the show it seemed like they were making him a surrogate Doakes. I will only tolerate a Quinn/Jaime relationship if it leads to Quinn finding the truth.

So after seeing the Finale last night I thought I would share my thoughts on the season as a whole.

After the trailer for season 7 was Aired I said to my Friend' This season looks very eventful but I bet they make lots of stuff happen just to cover up how crappy the writing is. Damn I was right. Lots of stuff happened in this season but 80% of it was absolutely pointless.

First of all my main gripe is the storylines and new characters. Louis Greene was introduced in season 6 and I really thought he was going to be relative to Dexter or at least an adversary. Nope. He sleeps with hookers collects toys and gets shot in episode 3 or 4. OK.

Next we have Isaak ( who was fantastically played by Ray Stevenson) and the Ukranian storyline with George the owner of the club and Nadia the dancer. Why? What did they bring to the overall story? Absolutely nothing. The Ukranian family turns on Isaak with no explanation and then he gets shot, George gets killed by Quinn and Nadia leaves the country.

The Phantom Arsonist guy. Again adds nothing to the story, just filler because Isaak and Pals are dead.

There are some great characters here but they are completely and utterly wasted and none of the main characters are changed from the encounters with these people.

Next point is Dexters Killings: An aiport, a shooting range and next to his trunk in broad daylight next to a busy park. WTF?????. I'm starting to think the only way I can watch this show is by pretending its set in an alternate reality where everyone outside the main cast is blind.

Next thing is the idiocy of some of the characters. Dexter gets Hector to call La Guerta and tell her he's in the same shipping container as the previous episode ( not sure what the time difference is here, I'm guessing a week as its now New Years eve) but what if she calls for backup, what will he do then? Oh it doesn't matter because the stupid Captain of Police hasn't told anyone else where she's going. Convenient that.

I seem to remember that season 6 took place during the height of summer and season 7 carries on straight after those events. Suddenly its Xmas and New Year? Riiiiight.

The CCTV footage from Mike Andersons wife. No. Just no.

My biggest gripe about the entire series was when Dexter and Deb go to the New Years eve party in the SAME CLOTHES they wore when deb shot La Guerta and then hugged her bloody corpse. Now I understand that Jennifer Carpenter added that part herself, but how sloppy is it that they didn't actually bother to change the end scene because of this added part. Lazy, sloppy writing.

Ok the things I liked. I actually enjoyed the relationship between Deb, Dexter and Hannah. I thought that part was very well rounded and the acting was superb across the board. I liked where the season headed in that Deb took down La Guerta but the way it got there was so flawed. I enjoyed seeing Doakes back but it just reminded me of a time when the show was much much better. I liked how Batista actually did some detective work ( except for when Quinn shot George and tried to make it look like it was self defense and Batista just believes him.)

Overall I liked the main storyline and I liked most of the new characters but the 5 year old writers ruined this season for me and although I liked it better than season 6, its ultimately just as poor.

Last edited:
So, are we to assume that the fireworks at the end are to signify romantic "fireworks" for next season? It reminded me of the end to Season 3 with the blood on Rita's dress and what was to come for the end of Season 4. I mean, with this show there is still the possibility that they make you think they'll go there and then they never do.

To me, it looks like that's where they are going. I mean, imagine Dexter & Debra trying to destroy evidence while they blend in at work. I could see them going back to their old season 1 brother & sister routine easily....eating lunch together, solving crimes, etc. then at night it could be something entirely different. Then, you got that psycho jaded lover out there watching, seeing them get closer and closer. I just wonder if Hannah would be shaped into a serious threat or just another Loius?

I agree about the writing, alot of times it is so brilliant at the quirky things but they seriously drop the ball on the factual CSI type stuff. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, introducing the phone GPS thing is now something you can't un-do. This is something Dexter should've factored in from the very start. It really takes away from the "Neat Monster" they painted him as from day 1.

I wonder if Dexter will use romance to either manipulate Deb or something. I mean he is really getting kind of crazy and I bet the killing of Laguerta is going to mess with her, she is probably going to feel really guilty about it and maybe talk to Dexter about telling the truth or something. I don't know.

The writers don't do much in the way for foreshadowing. . . I'm not trying to read into anything

Now, that's one thing that I actually think they do well. Dexter passing out in the room filled with blood, the blood on Rita's dress, Doakes being creeped out by Dexter.... Even the ending to Season 1 with Dexter and Debra walking through the crowd during a celebration in slow motion (remind you of anything?).

Next we have Isaak ( who was fantastically played by Ray Stevenson) and the Ukranian storyline with George the owner of the club and Nadia the dancer. Why? What did they bring to the overall story? Absolutely nothing. The Ukranian family turns on Isaak with no explanation and then he gets shot, George gets killed by Quinn and Nadia leaves the country.

Isaak served a purpose in the same sense that almost all of Dexter's victims do, to move the character in a direction based on what he learns from them. Isaak provided a concept of unconditional love. Of course, Dexter usually goes the wrong direction with what he has learned but it does bring him closer to an understanding. I think he applied it to his relationship with Hannah when it should've been about Debra. The love between Victor & Isaak was more of a "forbidden love", which applies more to how Debra feels about Dexter.

I think the show throws out alot of red herrings and most of the time they end up sacrificing the story. They offer up quick fixes and don't take the time to keep them grounded in reality. Sometimes it can be a real bummer like in the case of Louis. Actually, if they would've killed him later on and not in a "quick fix" fashion, it could've been much better.

So after seeing the Finale last night I thought I would share my thoughts on the season as a whole.

After the trailer for season 7 was Aired I said to my Friend' This season looks very eventful but I bet they make lots of stuff happen just to cover up how crappy the writing is. Damn I was right. Lots of stuff happened in this season but 80% of it was absolutely pointless.

Ha, fair enough. You could actually look at this season like 3 half-baked seasons smooshed together. Probably won't help your outlook though.

My hope after all the magical whimsy we've seen in Dexter's ability to automatically outsmart or outluck any obstacle in front of him is to see him pay for it at the end of this run. He's no longer the protagonist, he will be (or should be) the big bad for the final season, with (hopefully) Batista going after him. Angel can take down Quinn along the way too.

Next season is going to be a real trap for Dex and Deb. You recall Debra requesting LaGuerta's whereabouts from dispatch? Alot will depend on how they left/disposed the bodies but they'd really have to step me through exactly how Dex is going to be able to recreate a misleading crime scene or coverup the abrupt disappearance of LaGuerta/Estrada. I don't think it can be done. Then of course, you have Deb showing up looking like she's in some sort of trance at Batista's party.

I'm really looking forward to payback time next year. The writers better pull no punches on Dexter. He's got to lose everything and be at peace with it. He betrayed the moral code that kept him from being the bad guy back in Season 5 really but it's reached critical mass now. LaGuerta might have been a manipulative *****, but she was actually killed for doing her job and for helping to clear Doakes' good name.

Dexter has just become incredibly unlikeable. By manning up and sacrificing himself, he might halfway redeem his emo navel gazing and allowing innocents to take the fall for his deeds.

Now, that's one thing that I actually think they do well. Dexter passing out in the room filled with blood, the blood on Rita's dress, Doakes being creeped out by Dexter.... Even the ending to Season 1 with Dexter and Debra walking through the crowd during a celebration in slow motion (remind you of anything?).

Isaak served a purpose in the same sense that almost all of Dexter's victims do, to move the character in a direction based on what he learns from them. Isaak provided a concept of unconditional love. Of course, Dexter usually goes the wrong direction with what he has learned but it does bring him closer to an understanding. I think he applied it to his relationship with Hannah when it should've been about Debra. The love between Victor & Isaak was more of a "forbidden love", which applies more to how Debra feels about Dexter.

I think the show throws out alot of red herrings and most of the time they end up sacrificing the story. They offer up quick fixes and don't take the time to keep them grounded in reality. Sometimes it can be a real bummer like in the case of Louis. Actually, if they would've killed him later on and not in a "quick fix" fashion, it could've been much better.

The foreshadowing thing used to be really good... before, but Not anymore.

As for Isaac, when I first heard of Dexter going against the Ukrainian Mob I thought he was going to go against many guys, not just one. That did disappointed me a little. I thought he was going to go against a team of guys or something not just the one guy that was heartbroken. He ended up fighting one guy just like all the other seasons. I liked Isaac but I didn't like that they did that. After a while when they turn on him it didn't even matter that he was connected to mob at all. Isaac just became another guy dexter was going against.

Well...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Hope alot of you sad sacks get a life and start watching something you enjoy and skip the next season of Dexter, especially since now it may not be the last. Choke on it haters. :lol

Well...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Hope alot of you sad sacks get a life and start watching something you enjoy and skip the next season of Dexter, especially since now it may not be the last. Choke on it haters. :lol

:lecture:exactly::yess:

the Ukranian storyline with George the owner of the club and Nadia the dancer. Why? What did they bring to the overall story?

They were part of a minor subplot for Quinn.. so yeah, nothing major to the overall story besides George using Quinn's relationship with Nadia to coax him into stealing evidence to release Isaak from Prison.

The Ukranian family turns on Isaak with no explanation

Actually it was explained: George let them know that Isaak was hurting their business with his personal vendetta.

Nadia leaves the country.

She moved to Vegas. :lol

The Phantom Arsonist guy. Again adds nothing to the story, just filler because Isaak and Pals are dead.

Actually he did serve a purpose: Dexter promised Deb he wouldn't "take" suspects from their police department and that was the conflict he had there. Again.. minor subplot.

Next point is Dexters Killings: An aiport, a shooting range and next to his trunk in broad daylight next to a busy park. WTF?????.

:lol:lol:lol

Yeah.. all of those were pretty damn stupid.

Dexter gets Hector to call La Guerta and tell her he's in the same shipping container as the previous episode ( not sure what the time difference is here, I'm guessing a week as its now New Years eve) but what if she calls for backup, what will he do then? Oh it doesn't matter because the stupid Captain of Police hasn't told anyone else where she's going. Convenient that.

Not convenient, planned. Remember that took place after she arrested Dexter and was accused of framing him/was in trouble at work for it. So the last thing she would want to do is call for back-up to alert more people to the fact that she was STILL pursuing that. If not for that, I'd agree.

when Dexter and Deb go to the New Years eve party in the SAME CLOTHES they wore when deb shot La Guerta and then hugged her bloody corpse.

Wait.. that wasn't the same party though. That was outside at like a concert (with a band and a stage) and Batista owns a restaurant/bar right?

I liked how Batista actually did some detective work ( except for when Quinn shot George and tried to make it look like it was self defense and Batista just believes him.)

I think he knew Quinn was full of it. But that's his partner and dude is loyal. To a fault.

I think he knew Quinn was full of it. But that's his partner and dude is loyal. To a fault.

Yeah, I think if Quinn had told Batista exactly what happened it wouldn't have changed a thing. Quinn kept Batista out of his crap by implicating him, one of the better moves on Quinn's part imo, instead of just dumping it on Batista to help him clean up.

Turn that frown upside down little guy! He was kidding... sort of... maybe.... :dunno

Yeah, but no...

Although each season of Dexter has had some challenge or suspension of disbelief, if I started to genuinely hate any show as much as these people that still watch it seem to... :lol

I am split though at it not getting renewed for a ninth season, I would like to see what they have planned for "the end".

i think the season finale was a preview for the series finale............except deb pulls the trigger on dexter.............:panic:

Although each season of Dexter has had some challenge or suspension of disbelief, if I started to genuinely hate any show as much as these people that still watch it seem to... :lol

What did you have to suspension disbelief for in seasons 1 - 4?

I am split though at it not getting renewed for a ninth season, I would like to see what they have planned for "the end".

It's not that the show didn't get renewed, they had a plan to end the show with season 8 almost right after season 6.

I guess it depends on what kind of ending they will have for Dexter. A tragic or sad ending or a "happy" ending.

Either Dexter ends up dead or in jail, or he ends up killing everyone that chases him including his friends. Or he escapes and ends up living somewhere else or something.

Or they do something completely different, but then again how many ways can this story end? Either dead in prison or moving to another country or something? What else can they do?

I've always suspected the show would end with him in prison, surrounded by people who deserve his code, and he will finally feel free.

Back