DC RELAUNCHING entire Universe in September

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like starting over to while throwing out years of history & respect to boost sales & interest.

MARVEL did it. Other publishers did it. DC might as well too. It's all about out with the old and in with the retconned/revisionist new.

Granted, I do understand how things have to be shaken up from time to time to keep up with the times to reflect shifts in arts & story telling, but this? I thought MARVEL pretty much had starting over & redoing everything down to an art form & science, but DC?

OH, WELL . . .

Given that many of the top tier character books are going for 3rd printings and the 1st printings are going for amazing secondary market costs, I'd say it worked at least in the short term. They won't be able to sustain it but if they can keep even half those readers, we'll see this hold out for at least a year.

Nothing like starting over to while throwing out years of history & respect to boost sales & interest.

MARVEL did it. Other publishers did it. DC might as well too. It's all about out with the old and in with the retconned/revisionist new.

Granted, I do understand how things have to be shaken up from time to time to keep up with the times to reflect shifts in arts & story telling, but this? I thought MARVEL pretty much had starting over & redoing everything down to an art form & science, but DC?

OH, WELL . . .

When did Marvel do it?

I'm assuming the reference is to "Heroes Reborn" where Marvel pretty much did the same thing and threw out everything and brought all their heroes into the 90s. Ben Grimm fought as a pilot in the Gulf War instead of World War II, etc. Lasted about a year and ironically was helmed by Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld. Marvel ended up making it a "Franklinverse" type thing and returned everything to status quo.

I read Captain Atom and Stormwatch last night, neither of them did anything for me.

Next up: Superboy, Supergirl, Batwoman.

Given that many of the top tier character books are going for 3rd printings and the 1st printings are going for amazing secondary market costs, I'd say it worked at least in the short term. They won't be able to sustain it but if they can keep even half those readers, we'll see this hold out for at least a year.

But it also is turning away potential buyers. I go to my LCS every week and I couldn't get any of the titles I wanted there because of the hype. I've had to go to out of the way comic shops to get them and even then I couldn't get ahold of a Batman issue. I think they are artificially creating demand by under printing to begin with. :dunno

I was initially hoping that if you order a subscription it would also provide a digital format. That way you get to keep the comic mint and be able to read the story over and over.

But it also is turning away potential buyers. I go to my LCS every week and I couldn't get any of the titles I wanted there because of the hype. I've had to go to out of the way comic shops to get them and even then I couldn't get ahold of a Batman issue. I think they are artificially creating demand by under printing to begin with. :dunno

:lecture:lecture:lecture I agree. Especially with the tv spots too. And the best way to create demand is scream in someone's face repeatedly to get something and then don't make it readily available. But in 3 years time, they won't be able to give those issues away. :lol

My pull list this week will be the biggest yet. 10 books!:

All-Star Western #1
Aquaman #1
Batman: The Dark Knight #1
Flash #1
Green Lantern: New Guardians #1
I, Vampire #1
Justice League Dark #1
Savage Hawkman #1
Superman #1
Voodoo #1

So far, of the titles released through last week I'm only sticking with 11 books for #2s next month and beyond:

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Nightwing
Green Lantern
Justice League (only to see how the Bat/Supes throw down goes)
Wonder Woman
Captain Atom
Animal Man
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Suicide Squad

I don't think they are under printing. I'm will to bet anything that the shops are not ordering enough. This has been the case at most of the places I've been going.

my lcs said if they did not have the comic I want they would get it to me for free....nice jesture

That is a heck of a deal! I wish mine did that. I'd only have bought 1 or 2 so far :lol

I'm really hoping one of my comic shops get some more Batman in tomorrow. I'm feeling left out :(

Who is Voodoo?
Called my LCS to hold Superman and Aquaman--he said he could but not other titles like---Voodoo
Also --should I go for Hawkman?

My pull list for tomorrow:

Aquaman #1
Batman: The Dark Knight #1
The Flash #1
The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men #1
Green Lantern: New Guardians #1
I, Vampire #1
Justice League Dark #1
The Savage Hawkman #1
Superman #1
Teen Titans #1

I'm pulling.... Nothing!

Will feel good to get a break tomorrow. Was going to nab Supes, but I've never been much of a fan before.

Only thing pulled for me this week is New Guardians. The rest I'll pick when I get there. I suspect I'll also pick up Superman, JL Dark, and Firestorm and/or Batman.

So far, I've bought Justice, Detective, Action, Batman & Robin, Batman, and Nightwing. I think I'm in for all of them as regulars. I've read graphic novels, but never bought comics before ... so this is new to me.

I'll buy Dark Knight and Superman this week. I think I'm going to try to stick to Justice, the four Batman titles, two Superman titles, and Nightwing. I've resisted Red Hood, Green Arrow and Green Lantern, and will probably resist Western, Titans, Flash, Aquaman and Hawkman.

SnakeDoc

Back