DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Yeah, those holes are ghastly. Not sure why there needed to be holes on the upper leg, considering the articulation point.

While I don't see what purpose they serve, I don't really care, either way, and to hell with it. When I saw that Two-Face has a hand with his coin in it, I was like "screw it," I'm in. They included everything I'd hoped they would; the coin, Isis, Spider-Freeze. I'll have, at least, a set of each. They'll remain MIB until I find a place where I can display them, but I don't even care anymore. I look at it this way. Mezco's charging $65 for their TDKR Batman, outside of the fabric costume, these are arguably just as packed as that, if not moreso, so, even if I shelled out $50 for two of each (and that's not to say they won't be on sale for less at any given point), I think it's worth it. I'm still disappointed in the route they took, though.

As packed full of stuff as these are, the collector friendly box would've made it much easier to store everything.

Kind of kills the streamlined aesthetic of them though, doesn't it? It's not like anyone is balking at the jointed elbow or knees (which are well done), it's just that the hip section is pretty awful looking.

Marvel Legends were super articulated and didn't have holes in the legs. Toy Biz's Lord of the Rings line were super articulated and didn't have holes in the legs. DC Universe Classics/Masters of the Universe/Movie Masters are super articulated and don't have holes in the legs. NECA figures are super articulated and don't have holes in the legs. Star Wars Black Series figures are super articulated and don't have holes in the legs.

It just looks sloppy. If that's how DC implements articulation for T-jointed hips, then maybe it would have been better to not make them articulated at all. Their Arkham figures pose just fine without being able to do splits.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that filled in would be better, but I don't mind it, aesthetically, as much as some people do. With the character model based and everything, like I said when the protos were on display, I didn't even mind the metal pins that much, because it almost reminded me of an artist's mane quinn or something that would be used for reference in the studio.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that filled in would be better, but I don't mind it, aesthetically, as much as some people do. With the character model based and everything, like I said when the protos were on display, I didn't even mind the metal pins that much, because it almost reminded me of an artist's mane quinn or something that would be used for reference in the studio.

I dunno, these look pretty terrible to me. Mind you, these are the final production figures. The way the joints have been carelessly implemented make them look really wonky.

Maybe those prototypes looked like the Artist studio references you'd speak of (like Maquettes), but not these. They turned out really cheap.

Batman Animated.jpg
Animated Catwoman.jpg
sidebatman.jpg

I haven't seen such a jump from prototype to production that's been this bad since the Toy Biz LOTR or movie masters days.

boromirvslurtz.jpg
two-face.jpg

I mean, these Animated characters aren't that complicated. Their designs lend themselves to easy figures with their simple colors and streamlined designs. How hard is it to replicate those prototypes/2-ups?

You're definitely right, there. I, for some reason, had thought the holes were on the protos, as well, but, yeah, they should definitely fix those holes.

Too bad about the thigh pegs but I think I'll still get the figures. Overall they still look cool to me and I don't want to miss out on this line. The packaging is meh too but for these types of figures I generally open and toss the box.

I still wish these figures were a bit less. Added the first nine figures to my cart on Big Bad Toy Store and my total comes out to $197 before shipping which is another $12 or so. I love the show but it seems like a lot sort of. Even though I'm willing to spend more than that for one Hot Toys figure. :lol

Do we know for certain that the these are final production figures and the leg holes won't be fixed?

That Two-Face is a final carded production sample, UPC, warnings and all.

I'd say they're pretty much a done deal since they're coming out next month.

Holes shmoles. These are awesome and I'm buying them.

I pulled out my old animated series figures from the 90s, and was sad to see the plastic on a lot had gotten wet and tacky, and I even had to throw out a couple. So the timing is right on these coming out, and I have them on pre-order for around $16 a piece. But that said, my enthusiasm has definitely died down since NYCC. I think I might be looking forward more to the second wave of Capullo figures now..

Holes or not, I'm probably in for the Joker at least. I'll wait on the others until I see them in person.

I pulled out my old animated series figures from the 90s, and was sad to see the plastic on a lot had gotten wet and tacky, and I even had to throw out a couple. So the timing is right on these coming out, and I have them on pre-order for around $16 a piece. But that said, my enthusiasm has definitely died down since NYCC. I think I might be looking forward more to the second wave of Capullo figures now..

Wow. Where were you able to pre-order for only $16 a piece?

The holes are lame but by no means a deal breaker. I'm just happy someone is finally making BTAS toys again!!!

Hot soapy water should wash that sticky residue off of your figures. I have had a bunch of MOSC BTAS stuff come out of the package feeling like that. Seems to be mostly on parts of the figures with paint.

Back