David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

Damn! I almost quoted you, Jye!!! :cuss

:yess:

image.jpeg

Best DC movie since TDK.

I agree with this assessment

Inline with my initial take. Pacing and editing issues aside, it did what it was set out to in my book, which is to be entertaining as a fun popcorn movie. I don't give a **** how inaccurate certain plot or character aspects are/were as I didn't read every single SS/Batman DC comic under the sun. For movies such as this you gotta take them at face value for what they are, something to entertain the masses vs. entertain the die hard fans who know Harley's underwear size. Pretty much everyone can agree the movie has issues, more than likely has multiple edit cuts, but I think the people who can overlook them are the lot who ends up enjoying it for what it is.

I might see it again if a family member wants to see it and I'm free, otherwise I will just wait for the dvd release which I will for sure buy. This movie, issues and all has a lot better replay value than AoU, BvS, IM3 or MoS in my book.

I just read the first three issues of the New 52 Suicide Squad run and not only were they very entertaining but the movie itself seemed to match the tone and characters pretty well so no complaints on how they were portrayed.

jye what were the three scenes that got to you?

I just read the first three issues of the New 52 Suicide Squad run and not only were they very entertaining but the movie itself seemed to match the tone and characters pretty well so no complaints on how they were portrayed.

jye what were the three scenes that got to you?

2 involving Deadshot's daughter and Harley telling Diablo to own it.

Hell, I think there were a few more involving the group coming together to fight and Harley and Joker. :lol

This movie had some serious heart.

The most emotional heart breaking moment for me in an MCU movie is still Odin banning Thor from Asgard in Thor 1.

There hasn't been many of those moments in the MCU for me, just incredibly high octane action that stirs up another emotion, exhilaration!

During Superman's burial with the slow mo cannons, I was yawning.

SS pulled on my heart strings immensely.

This movie MOVED ME!

Great Job as far as i'm concerned.

:lol :lol

Last edited:

I just said it on the solo thread, but what if Todd was being held captive in Arkham like in Arkham Knight. Arkham Asylum has always been a large place with many hidden and abandoned sections. Would also give a plausible reason for Harley being an accomplice and maybe why Batman despises that place so much.

Good thinking here, that would be a really cool twist, helping Joker like that would drive anyone mad.

Could go into how upside down Arkham Asylum really is. Shady doctors, experiments, mob money etc..

Inline with my initial take. Pacing and editing issues aside, it did what it was set out to in my book, which is to be entertaining as a fun popcorn movie. I don't give a **** how inaccurate certain plot or character aspects are/were as I didn't read every single SS/Batman DC comic under the sun. For movies such as this you gotta take them at face value for what they are, something to entertain the masses vs. entertain the die hard fans who know Harley's underwear size. Pretty much everyone can agree the movie has issues, more than likely has multiple edit cuts, but I think the people who can overlook them are the lot who ends up enjoying it for what it is.

I might see it again if a family member wants to see it and I'm free, otherwise I will just wait for the dvd release which I will for sure buy. This movie, issues and all has a lot better replay value than AoU, BvS, IM3 or MoS in my book.
:goodpost::lecture:goodpost:

They are an awesome read, especially when you get into the Joker stuff.

2 involving Deadshot's daughter and Harley telling Diablo to own it.

Hell, I think there were a few more involving the group coming together to fight. :lol

This movie had some serious heart.

The most emotional heart breaking moment for me in an MCU movie is still Odin banning Thor from Asgard in Thor 1.

There hasn't been many of those moments in the MCU for me, just incredibly high octane action that stirs up another emotion, exhilaration!

During Superman's burial with the slow mo cannons, I was yawning.

SS pulled on my heart strings immensely.

This movie MOVED ME!

Great Job as far as i'm concerned.

:rock

happy you love it so much Jye! What's your score out of 10? Just curious. :)

Good thinking here, that would be a really cool twist, helping Joker like that would drive anyone mad.

Could go into how upside down Arkham Asylum really is. Shady doctors, experiments, mob money etc..

:goodpost::lecture:goodpost:

They are an awesome read, especially when you get into the Joker stuff.

:rock

happy you love it so much Jye! What's your score out of 10? Just curious. :)

Crap, you got me cornered now. :lol

Ok, here goes.

DC starting with MOS (I break DC down into 3 eras: STM - B&R / BB - TDKR / MOS - SS)

SS 8.8 (depending on next viewing this could hit a solid 9.0 if those scenes move me again but also drop to 8.5 if they don't, but I don't see it going any lower than 8.5, the movie is just too much fun for that to happen)
BvS 8.0 (Warehouse scene and WW really save this movie plus WW and Superman theme)
MOS 6.5 (Faora battle not enough to save this bore fest)

There's another way they could make sense of Batman not killing Joker, and that's if Batman is somehow responsible for the creation of Joker, the redhood gang storyline. If Batman feels somehow responsible for what happened to Joker, he might actually feel sorry for him, thus why he tolerates him and doesn't kill him...but again, that's just made up crap. I'll let Affleck make sense of it.

Here's the thing, though: they don't need to explain it. Snyder already did. Jason's death wasn't what "broke" Batman, it was Superman's arrival, and, on that note, it didn't drive Batman to become a homicidal maniac, like some posit. Alfred says it best, even though no one ****ing talks like that in the real world: "men fall from the sky, the gods hurl thunderbolts; innocents die. That's how it starts; the fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men cruel." The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that Batman V Superman is a movie almost entirely about the fragility of male egos. Lex Luthor has an inferiority complex because of Superman, Superman feels under appreciated by the world at large, and Batman's pissed off because some alien's done more to help the world in a year than he has in 20.

With that being said, this is Bruce Wayne's midlife crisis, when he looks back on his life and thinks "what the **** did I do all that for?" I think he hates Superman for the same reason Luthor does, to a degree: an inferiority complex, but I think, as far as his relationship with criminals goes, it's less about cruelty and more about apathy. He thinks his whole crusade's been for nought, so, at this point in his life, if he has to break a few eggs to make an omelet, who the hell cares? They made their choice, anyway, right? That's why, at least, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Croc, Deadshot, and whoever the hell else hanging from the rafters of a "Welcome to Gotham" sign.

Crap, you got me cornered now. :lol

Ok, here goes.

DC starting with MOS (I break DC down into 3 eras: STM - B&R / BB - TDKR / MOS - SS)

SS 8.8 (depending on next viewing this could hit a solid 9.0 if those scenes move me again but also drop to 8.5 if they don't, but I don't see it going any lower than 8.5, the movie is just too much fun for that to happen)
BvS 8.0 (Warehouse scene and WW really save this movie plus WW and Superman theme)
MOS 6.5 (Faora battle not enough to save this bore fest)

How do you not find BVS boring? When it comes to action, MOS is like a Contra game by comparison to BVS. :dunno

I'm starting to think that WB did the right thing on cutting some of the Joker and HQ scenes out. My wife has read them and wasn't so kean on how the Joker treated Harley. I guess the test audience feedback was right.

Here's the thing, though: they don't need to explain it. Snyder already did. Jason's death wasn't what "broke" Batman, it was Superman's arrival, and, on that note, it didn't drive Batman to become a homicidal maniac, like some posit. Alfred says it best, even though no one ****ing talks like that in the real world: "men fall from the sky, the gods hurl thunderbolts; innocents die. That's how it starts; the fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men cruel." The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that Batman V Superman is a movie almost entirely about the fragility of male egos. Lex Luthor has an inferiority complex because of Superman, Superman feels under appreciated by the world at large, and Batman's pissed off because some alien's done more to help the world in a year than he has in 20.

With that being said, this is Bruce Wayne's midlife crisis, when he looks back on his life and thinks "what the **** did I do all that for?" I think he hates Superman for the same reason Luthor does, to a degree: an inferiority complex, but I think, as far as his relationship with criminals goes, it's less about cruelty and more about apathy. He thinks his whole crusade's been for nought, so, at this point in his life, if he has to break a few eggs to make an omelet, who the hell cares? They made their choice, anyway, right? That's why, at least, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Croc, Deadshot, and whoever the hell else hanging from the rafters of a "Welcome to Gotham" sign.

Yeah, I understand that. I mentioned it in a previous post. However, I'm pretty sure Robin's death had to affect Bruce too. They even took the time to show Bruce looking at the dead Robin suit.

Well, I don't want to start making up stuff in order to make sense of it, but Alfred shows the newspaper to Bruce, which talks about Batman's new "methods" of dealing with crime, and then he talks about the feeling of powerlessness and how everything changed once Superman arrived. There is also that shot of Bruce looking at dead Robin, so my guess is that it's the sum of all those moments that pushes Bruce to be more ruthless. Since the Joker is still alive, I can only assume that he didn't kill him because he probably wasn't a killer yet...and it probably took a lot out of him not to murder Joker...then Sups shows up later...more people die...and he's like **** it.

]

We're all getting so hyped for Affleck's solo outing, but watch it be a post Suicide Squad/Justice League movie where he teams up with Will Smith or some ****. :lol

I got my fingers crossed for an Arkham Asylum adaptation (based on the graphic novel, the Batman: Animated Series episode "Trial", the first Arkham game, etc.) Not only could you do some cool stuff with Batman and the Joker, but other villains and how they relate to other faucets of Batman's psychology as well (Two-Face, Mad Hatter, Clayface). All that in one, claustrophobic setting would be awesome.

Still, I fully expect some post Justice League thing where Batman and Deadshot team up to fight CGI monsters or aliens or something. Instead of getting an emotional climax, where, I don't know, the audience finds out that Two-Face saved Batman's life in the Asylum by not following the coin's result, we'll have a bunch characters trying to stop a bomb or a magical beam of light from destroying a city. We could use another villain like Doomsday or Enchantress' "brother" though, so hopefully a resurrection is in order.

Am I wrong to just want a straight-up, no holds barred detective story? That's an aspect of Batman's character that's remained largely unexplored on the silver screen, and, I feel like that would be right in Affleck's wheelhouse. You want massive action set pieces where Batman kicks some ass? He'll be in Justice League 2, next summer. You want to see the World's Greatest Detective, in his element, in a street level, personal story where he shows why they call him that? See the Batman solo film.

Batman meets Columbo, what a great idea.

1470862462700.gif

Back