Darth Cruel's Customs thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Cruel

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK. I have long wanted to do my own customs of the 1:6 scale figures from Star Wars and a few other lines. So, as Star Wars is my personal favorite subject, this is where it will start.

My first project will be a non-descript rogue. I have a few specific desires for this figure, and so it will not be a simple, nor a complex, kit bash. I am actually making myself have to work at it a little, although some of the parts will simply be pulled from existing figures.

The first thing I wanted to do was to make sure that I document the steps in case of the extremely remote chance that I come up with an idea that someone else likes, but has not yet thought of. As the beginner that I am, I understand the remoteness of that likelyhood. But what the hell.

This rogue is intended to be pretty accessory-heavy. We'll see how that works out.

The first item I wanted to do for the figure is a double-holstered gun belt. I have drawn heavily from the work already done by Sideshow and other customizers and I decided that what I want is a modification to one of Han Solo's existing belts. I intend it to be solid black and I want to use magnets to hold the strap over the blasters AND, if possible, to hold the belt closed.

My first step was to procure an extra Han Solo belt and disassemble it to use it for a pattern. Not too exciting yet, but it is my start. I was not overly concerned about damaging it as it is now nothing more than a pattern.

DSC06317.jpg

Last edited:
Ow I love it so much to watch and so many amazing ideas, this forum is becoming like a mini TV series.

Cruel... Double holster is a fantastic idea. When you make the paper ot card templates can you post em so we can all share.....:)

Ow I love it so much to watch and so many amazing ideas, this forum is becoming like a mini TV series.

Cruel... Double holster is a fantastic idea. When you make the paper ot card templates can you post em so we can all share.....:)

Absolutely. And thanks for the encouragement so far all. That really makes things exciting!

Step 2 - Create template for belt

I have thought about a few different ways to do this. I would very much like to have the buckles holding the holsters on the belt as Sideshow does. But for ease in the beginning, I will cut the belt/holsters/leg straps all as one piece. After I complete that template, I will post it so anyone who wants to, can use it. But here are steps 2a and 2b.

2a - Using the dis-assembled belt as a pattern, I traced the parts I need to build the gunbelt.

DSC06318.jpg

2b - I cut the pieces out and taped the actual holsters together...efectively building the belt out of paper...so that I can fit it onto the figure to size it and place the holsters.

DSC06319.jpg

I need to dig the costume I got for it out of storage today and put it on the figure so I can size/place the parts of the belt. So I am at a standstill for the afternoon.

OOOOWWWW yeah thats what I like to see... hard at work. Looking really good. Do you need some leather for the holsters. I am sure I have some you can have.... Guess you are in the States so it would take a while to get to you.

:)

This should prove to be a very interesting thread. I have a couple kitbash ideas, but I'd have to use something I can rob off figures that already exist. I have no idea how to really make anything. With your tutorials, I'll see how the pros do it! Lovin' it so far Cruel.

looks like a promising WIP...

I don't know why you'd need to get a whole belt just to rip it apart and use it as a template.... What I do for things like this is try to make a paper version of it first, working on it until I am satisfied to use what I made as a template for the real deal. I'm doing just that with my McTrooper (see the "help with 1/6 custom/kitbash clone trooper" thread).

As for getting some leather, I have seen small (around 8"x4") swatches of real leather at Michael's craft store... otherwise you can usually get some pretty nice faux leather at a fabric store...
The real leather would be better though, because it's a lot thinner (therefore more suited to be 1/6 scale leather). Faux leather might be a good option #2 though.

Hope I helped!

OOOOWWWW yeah thats what I like to see... hard at work. Looking really good. Do you need some leather for the holsters. I am sure I have some you can have.... Guess you are in the States so it would take a while to get to you.

:)

Thanks for the offer! I might. But let me check around a little here first. If I can't find what I am looking for, I will check back with you.

This should prove to be a very interesting thread. I have a couple kitbash ideas, but I'd have to use something I can rob off figures that already exist. I have no idea how to really make anything. With your tutorials, I'll see how the pros do it! Lovin' it so far Cruel.

LOL...thanks! Maybe someday I will be a pro...but this is my first, for now! And I hope you find a use for it. Once I post the completed template, it should help a lot for anyone who needs it.

looks like a promising WIP...

I don't know why you'd need to get a whole belt just to rip it apart and use it as a template.... What I do for things like this is try to make a paper version of it first, working on it until I am satisfied to use what I made as a template for the real deal. I'm doing just that with my McTrooper (see the "help with 1/6 custom/kitbash clone trooper" thread).

As for getting some leather, I have seen small (around 8"x4") swatches of real leather at Michael's craft store... otherwise you can usually get some pretty nice faux leather at a fabric store...
The real leather would be better though, because it's a lot thinner (therefore more suited to be 1/6 scale leather). Faux leather might be a good option #2 though.

Hope I helped!

I only did it this way because I am new and didn't know any other way.:D Edit - Oh, and I want to use some of the items from it to decorate mine.

Thanks for the tip on the real leather. I would not have thought it was thinner, and therefore would not have thought to use it.

I’m really excited for this. It’s something I’d like to try out soon. The double holster idea is just great. I can wait to see what else you have planned for “The Rogue”

You can get metres of faux leather off ebay for cheap.

But then you have to wait weeks for it to finally come...

By going to a craft or fabric store, you can just go and get it and have it that day, in your hands, ready to work with.

Look around in local stores first, then try widening your scope.

I know what you mean... I spent quite some time in the fabric and needle work shop today... just looking around.. I loved it... Is that odd? hummm I bought a lovely knitting pattern and some stuff for my cross stitch to.

HEHEHE...I did stop at Michael's on my way home from work. I found the leather that was mentioned previously. I believe it will be perfect. It is thin enough to fit the scale and soft enough to give when the blasters are put in the holsters.

We're looking good!

I also stopped at storage and picked up the costume I am going to use. I will put it on the TT mannequin tonight and size the belt. Maybe I'll get it cut out tonight.

Fingers are crossed.

HEHEHE...I did stop at Michael's on my way home from work. I found the leather that was mentioned previously. I believe it will be perfect. It is thin enough to fit the scale and soft enough to give when the blasters are put in the holsters.

We're looking good!

I also stopped at storage and picked up the costume I am going to use. I will put it on the TT mannequin tonight and size the belt. Maybe I'll get it cut out tonight.

Fingers are crossed.

Glad I was able to point you in the right direction, looking forward to see what you can come up with!

Back