Dark Toys 1/6 Rick Deckard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived to the UK yesterday -
Had low expectations but turns out to be great quality - especially the outfit. That said, for me this is the best Ford sculpt to date and is a repaint/hat away from being the best Indy too...

View attachment 559276

View attachment 559277

This is fantastic. I’ve been looking for a Deckard forever, so glad to have come across this one. The pics are great, the likeness is great!

Mine didn't make it out of HK in time so it looks like it will stay put until after the Chinese New Year is completed.
Same here.. KG updated to shipped on 26th, but it's stuck there since.
It's trange that he also shipped other items the next day, and those got shipped out. WTH....

The issue with KGH of "Sender is preparing item for posting" was raised in another forum.

In one case KGH had given the wrong tracking number, and the parcel was actually well on its way. In others it was because KGH were just really slow getting the parcels into the postal system. In a more extreme case KGH completely missed the fact that an order had actually been paid for, so hadn't arranged shipping.

From what I'm seeing on various pages the biggest gripe with them at the moment is their lack of communication.

I wonder if they cut staff during the pandemic? They used to handle busy times better than this, but they have had a long term tendency to make errors, especially with invoicing.

Reporting my experience. Couple of weeks ago I contacted them to ask for combined shipping for three orders, it’s not something they offer, so it was kind of them to agree and they lowered the overall shipping cost and sent me a new invoice. It took a few days for them to respond in the first place and item were stuck on “sender preparing shipment” for a whole week. Then they shipped but items got stuck in HK for the holidays.

I am in no hurry and the shipping costs were cut, so I am still happy.

Then two more preorders released (5 in a month…) and asked again for combined shipping. They replied in under two minutes. Then I contacted them again in regard to the Hunter D blasters and they replied very fast as well, and next day they sent me the preorder link.

Reporting my experience. Couple of weeks ago I contacted them to ask for combined shipping for three orders, it’s not something they offer, so it was kind of them to agree and they lowered the overall shipping cost and sent me a new invoice. It took a few days for them to respond in the first place and item were stuck on “sender preparing shipment” for a whole week. Then they shipped but items got stuck in HK for the holidays.

I am in no hurry and the shipping costs were cut, so I am still happy.

Then two more preorders released (5 in a month…) and asked again for combined shipping. They replied in under two minutes. Then I contacted them again in regard to the Hunter D blasters and they replied very fast as well, and next day they sent me the preorder link.

When they're good they're very good, and also polite and helpful.

It's the inconsistency of communication and the number of errors that began to turn me off them. Plus the uncertainty of the actual postage costs by the time an item comes into stock. Paying up front was preferable from that perspective, as it was with Deckard who ended up under £120 including delivery.

I've been buying from them for years, as I have from Kit, but in all those years Kit holds the rare distinction of never having made an error on a single order, and of always responding to messages quickly.

In choosing between the two retailers price played a big part. Kit's price includes delivery costs, whereas KGH's don't, so it was always a gamble which would end up being the best deal. I gambled with KGH and sometimes the delivery costs were even cheaper than the initial quote. However, I've come to feel that with Kit I'm also buying peace of mind.

In the few cases where an item had broken or missing parts, as with the figures by LiM and CC some weeks back, the replacement parts were arranged immediately by Kit. (Those orders must've been a headache for numerous retailers as a lot of customers had issues with the QC from the factory used by LiM and CC).

Similar issues with KGH were either left unresolved, probably because they forgot about it, or they sent something different to what had been advised. By that time, which was probably months later, I couldn't be bothered to pester them again.

We can only speak as we find. I still read people saying they've never had an issue with TNS, though I have gotten away very lightly compared to some. My biggest problem with them is communication - they can leave you hanging in the dark for weeks - and there's the fear that if you pester them too much to get a response they'll just delete any other orders out of spite, which they've done to some people.

Even ordering locally through the UK group, where prices can be comparable to those in HK, for greater peace of mind when the pandemic began, isn't always as smooth as hoped. They seem to get their stock pretty quickly, sometimes before some of the HK retailers have even received theirs. Not sure how that can be, but even though they have the stock in hand they can't always get it out for delivery very quickly. It's taken up to a month at times to get the held stock into the post. Communication isn't always easy with them either.

All roads eventually lead back to Kit. Probably even Giantoy, because Kit's stocking DiD product now.

Just had a look at the actual Rick and, the more I look at it, the better this sculpt becomes.

Whoever Buffy is, they captured Harrison. And that's not an easy thing to do.

I tested martin-el's full face shot on Celebs Like Me, which now diverts to starbyface, and Harrison was the top suggestion.

It's just a question of paintwork now.

Had low expectations but turns out to be great quality - especially the outfit. That said, for me this is the best Ford sculpt to date and is a repaint/hat away from being the best Indy too...

View attachment 559276

View attachment 559277
Looks GREAT.
Can you take a pic or two of the alternate "beaten" head sculpt.

Whoever Buffy is, they captured Harrison. And that's not an easy thing to do.

I tested martin-el's full face shot on Celebs Like Me, which now diverts to starbyface, and Harrison was the top suggestion.

It's just a question of paintwork now.
Indeed it is. At least a loose Dark Toys head would be cheaper than Buffy's.

I waxed Officer K's coat and it made a huge difference to the overall fit and finish of the figure. I wonder if waxing this one would add the same depth. It would make it darker certainly. Is the bottom of this coat wired?

How does the actual figure look ? Does anyone have pics of a full shot ? Including head and clothing?

For a KO, this set looks pretty good I think

The parcel tracking changed to posted this morning, so KGH didn't shut down completely for the holiday.

My shipping info hasn't changed since Jan 28th. When HK shuts down for the Chinese New year... do they shut down for the full 14 days??

Attachments

• headache.jpg
    headache.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 559276

View attachment 559277
Come on you absolute tease, give us more pics! We're dying for them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the photos, headsculpt looks very nice. I don't know how it actually compares to the Buffy, but provided the sculpts are not underscaled or anything, I'll probably send one off to be repainted and haired to upgrade the SP set. I doubt the tailoring comes anywhere close to that one, but can have the DT weathered for the rain scene look. I may even keep the TNS order for a possible Indy or Han Solo.

I'd really like to get a new Rutger Hauer head sculpt to upgrade Scott's Roy. Not crazy about Redman's sculpts. There was a phenomenal portrait shown on FB, but unfortunately that was a one-off.

I have Pris and Rachel, but never got Gaff, Eldon, Sebastian or the Toys.

Would love to get a 1/6 Spinner. Been following the cool scratch build project.

Back