CUSTOM Swampskier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willworkfortoys

Freakzoid
Reaction score
So, I'm dabbling with the idea of making a 1/6th Swampskier for Zartan as a fall/winter project. I mostly do/have done 1:18th scale stuff when I do anything but this seems like a fun project. Would anyone be interested in a 1/6th Swampskier and what would people be willing to pay for a custom one? I'm trying to figure out if I should approach the build as a single one just for my shelves or consider making up to five or ten depending on interests. Like I said, I'm new to the 1/6th stuff and fairly new to this board so any help, ideas, suggestions are much appreciated. I've added some links to my 1:18th dios and vehicles for reference of previous work.

Your stuff there looks really great! I would consider paying $100 or so for a nice 1/6 Swamp Skiier. Skiman did one awhile back (before the SSC Zartan was even released).

Your stuff there looks really great! I would consider paying $100 or so for a nice 1/6 Swamp Skiier. Skiman did one awhile back (before the SSC Zartan was even released).

Chick05.jpg

You're suggesting what you think something should cost (something of which I have no clue, and really only someone putting one together themselves would have an idea about), I'm listing what I would be willing to pay, which is what the OP was asking for. . .

And the regular figure is still in-stock from SSC for $160, but typically sells in the $125-150 range on Ebay.

Thank you both for solidifying my concerns. I myself wouldn't want to pay what a custom this size would warrant as 1:18th customs regularly sell for over a hundred. My feeling is once the price gets above the cost of a figure I'd rather have a licensed figure I don't already own than a custom diorama piece. I think I will probably end up making 1-3 initially and then gauge interest from there.

That's a good idea I think. There are some hardcore Joe fans here who will most likely be willing to pay a real premium for a high quality custom vehicle for their figures, but it will depend on the final product. Do you know off-hand if the stock figure's head can be posed so that he is looking forward laying stomach down on a theoretical Swamp Skiier.

Have you devised a blueprint, you might want to get some notes from ski since he already made one on OSW. I don't know if he transferred his pictoral tutorial on here his threads tend to be long and daunting to go through. I think ski needs to make a table of contents on his 1st page so you can skip ahead to the right page.

I just had a brilliant idea for SSC blog page their has to be a way of isolating just ski's post or anyone who sets an original post. on a given thread that way getting to his/their posts through the masses of comments would make it easier to view through. of course the coding will be a nightmare if the program will allow it.

You're suggesting what you think something should cost (something of which I have no clue, and really only someone putting one together themselves would have an idea about), I'm listing what I would be willing to pay, which is what the OP was asking for.

Perhaps you should try actually building something then. It'll give you an overall better idea of what things actually cost, given you have to factor in not just building materials, but paints, equipment, gas, shipping charges, and most importantly time. Not just construction time, but also the time running around collecting everything. That's not even accounting for R&D, replacement parts if something should go wrong, an idea needs to be rethought because concept didn't translate to application, etc.

Last edited:
Custom prices are all so relative. Sometimes you find people who have very fair deals. Sometimes you find people who rip you off.

The Sculptor guy selling those Slimer casts while the sculpt is AMAZING and I'm sure there will never be any more like it wants $215 plus ebay fees for his cast. No matter how good that is, I just find that price absurd. Others were eager to pay.

I bought a really well made back drop made out of styrene and hand painted for $65.

Heck, Dorgmal Snow sent me for free one of his awesome Gonks a few years ago!

It all just depends. Some people are into ripping you an ******* when trying to sell and some people aren't. I can't remember what that one guy was asking for a 1/6th HISS but I don't think it was disgustingly expensive like you'd expect of something in that size.

Truly is across the board.

As for purchasing one. IMO $100-150 is actually about what I would pay depending on quality. Making stuff out of styrene that needs to suspend a figure doesn't seem promising. When you start talking casted parts then suddenly the prices skyrocket from all the work. I think you'll find its gonna be a 1 or 2 off type thing.

The good news though is that the Swamp skier is actually a smallish item not even as big as a SW speeder bike.

Last edited:
Guess it would depend on the look and quality, but I would much prefer things like this, the RAM, or other small vehicles over the walls and temples that are being offered from SSC.

Perhaps you should try actually building something then. It'll give you an overall better idea of what things actually cost, given you have to factor in not just building materials, but paints, equipment, gas, shipping charges, and most importantly time. Not just construction time, but also the time running around collecting everything. That's not even accounting for R&D, replacement parts if something should go wrong, an idea needs to be rethought because concept didn't translate to application, etc.
Though I am doing more and more of my own custom work nowadays, and may eventually move into stuff like this, admittedly I have not done it before, nor did I realize you had experience making your own custom stuff Nam. I'll defer to your experience, though as Prog says, I've seen custom stuff priced all over the board. But my willingness to pay X or Y amount for something, which again was the OP's question, probably will not change too much. For me, a Swamp Skiier isn't something I would pay too too much for, but it would be cool to have.

Judging from what I have seen I think you will do a great job, I think the underlying frame should be metal though for sound stability. plus give the styrene tooth to hold onto. the 100-150 value not to bad that's about what you pay for a motorcycle well done in that scale.

Ohh it would be cool if you did some of it in Phosphorescent paint that would be nifty and camouflage.

Though I am doing more and more of my own custom work nowadays, and may eventually move into stuff like this, admittedly I have not done it before, nor did I realize you had experience making your own custom stuff Nam. I'll defer to your experience, though as Prog says, I've seen custom stuff priced all over the board. But my willingness to pay X or Y amount for something, which again was the OP's question, probably will not change too much. For me, a Swamp Skiier isn't something I would pay too too much for, but it would be cool to have.

Just because I don't offer stuff to all the little nitpicky, self entitled douchebags here, doesn't mean I'm clueless when it comes to manufacturing something from scratch for my collectibles (and sometimes those of friends). :lol

That's a good idea I think. There are some hardcore Joe fans here who will most likely be willing to pay a real premium for a high quality custom vehicle for their figures, but it will depend on the final product. Do you know off-hand if the stock figure's head can be posed so that he is looking forward laying stomach down on a theoretical Swamp Skier.

I just checked and the movement that way is pretty impeded which I'l account for in design. As the skier will more than likely be displayed perpendicular to the viewer Zartan will have his head turned sideways anyway for display. I may just put a Sharc or Recon Sled style computer screen on the 'dash' to accommodate.

Have you devised a blueprint, you might want to get some notes from ski since he already made one on OSW. I don't know if he transferred his pictoral tutorial on here his threads tend to be long and daunting to go through. I think ski needs to make a table of contents on his 1st page so you can skip ahead to the right page.
I do recall seeing Skis pics a long time ago which may have been the initial inspiration for this when I considered forever ago and got sidetracked with other projects.

Guess it would depend on the look and quality, but I would much prefer things like this, the RAM, or other small vehicles over the walls and temples that are being offered from SSC.

I think we all would prefer the vehicles. RAM and a Trubble Bubble would be awesome.

Judging from what I have seen I think you will do a great job, I think the underlying frame should be metal though for sound stability. plus give the styrene tooth to hold onto. the 100-150 value not to bad that's about what you pay for a motorcycle well done in that scale.

Ohh it would be cool if you did some of it in Phosphorescent paint that would be nifty and camouflage.

I have some good guage metal for the underframe. The engine and skis I will probably sculpt then cast. The body will be styrene or a cheap 80s vehicle modded and I'll probably try to get the seat upholstered.

Just because I don't offer stuff to all the little nitpicky, self entitled douchebags here, doesn't mean I'm clueless when it comes to manufacturing something from scratch for my collectibles (and sometimes those of friends). :lol

Who you callin' little? :panic:

I just checked and the movement that way is pretty impeded which I'l account for in design. As the skier will more than likely be displayed perpendicular to the viewer Zartan will have his head turned sideways anyway for display. I may just put a Sharc or Recon Sled style computer screen on the 'dash' to accommodate.
Good idea. Of course, the original figure could only look straight down.

a Trubble Bubble would be awesome.
:drool Now a 1/6 Trouble Bubble. . .I might be willing to put some serious coin down for ;)

you know you have a serious joe collector if someone tries to replicate the joe base in 1/6th scale. it would be ginormous. and cost probably around 2grand.

PM me when you do this I'd love to see finished proto I might buy one. I have been on fence for zartan because I wanted his Vehichle before I got him. I plan on making Zaranna and zander sometime this year and if your doing this I may build me a zartan as well.

Back