Custom Portrait commission request

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaward

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I came across something while visiting with family this week that gave me an idea for a gift for my dad. I found pictures of my grandfather in his WWI uniform, and I looked and saw that Sideshow actually made this particular uniform in their military line. I thought it would be cool to get this figure, and then commission some wonderful customizer here to create a head that looks like a portrait of my grandfather. I would be willing to compensate generously, provide plenty of reference photos (at least the few we have from the 1920's), as well as provide for any materials needed. I am not sure if it might be better to get a head that looks somewhat similar for customizing, or start from scratch. I would like to give this to my Dad for his birthday in August, but if I am starting this request late, it would also make a cool Christmas present. Anybody interested? Either send me a response here, or a PM. I'll be posting a picture of my grandfather when I can later this week.
Thanks!
Chris

To the guys that sent me a PM, just a quick update, in that I have had a looong night at work (must be a full moon or something). I have had a couple of offers, and I would like to get a sibling or two to share the expenses, but price would certainly be something of an issue. I will be looking through galleries and links that people have sent in the next little while, and I'll also shoot you guys messages with pictures, so maybe you could ballpark a price. I also took a quick look on ebay, and didn't see any of the Sideshow US Army Infantryman, Private AEF 1918 soldier for sale, so I'll have to keep looking, but this uniform is exactly what my grandfather has on in pictures, just without the hat. My dad is also a huge lead toy soldier collector, so I think that he'll be really touched by this gift. I told my mom of the idea and she thinks it'll be a hit. Thanks for all the positive responses!

I don't have a scanner at home, so I am going to try to get over to Kinko's to scan the images I have, and then I'll post them tonight. My everlasting thanks to Buttmunch for helping me out on this too!:chew Once people get a chance to see the pictures, I'll start fielding offers. If the person sculpting wants to work from an existing sculpt, just let me know which one, and I'll be sure to provide that figure too! Thanks everybody

That's a really cool idea Seaward. I really hope this works out for you... I'm sure your Dad will be really touched. If I see that figure for sale anywhere I will be sure to let you know. Anything I can do to help!

I wanted to post the first shot I had available, just so people could see what sort of head sculpt I am looking for. I will be scanning more pictures when I get a chance. I know some people like to sculpt from an existing figure, though, so I thought I'd give people a quick look, and they could see what they would be working towards. I have some additional pictures without his hat on, but he does have pretty wild hair in some shots, so we'll have to figure out how to handle his mangy locks artistically!
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

this is such a great idea Seaward!! i'll keep a lookout for the SS WWI fig. might wanna check w/ Sunohc too. i know he's done some work like this before.
someone over at OSW did something like this and it was a huge hit w/ his Dad.
did Dragon or some other company make any WWI figs that might be easier to find? oh and u might wanna put a "Wanted" add here and at OSW for the Private AEF.

Last edited:
Thanks to buttmunch, I was able to order two of the 1918 Infantry figure, so once those arrive, I'll figure out what to do next. I am thinking that I need to comb through the Sideshow figures available to see if there is anything that has a passing resemblance, which might make a good starting point. Three amazing customizers have already contacted me, and I am going to see my mom and have her look at their works too. Then we can decide together who might be the best fit.

Wonderful news on getting the figures Seaward!
Good luck on this. I wish you the very best with it, however you resolve it.
This is a wonderful way to honor your Grandfather.

Well, I am going to swing by to see my folks tonight when I get done with work, and my sister would like some input as well, so we will be browsing through people's work and they'll point me in the direction they would like to go. Everybody in the family is really behind this idea. I am just waiting for the soldiers to arrive safely sometime this week before moving ahead for the moment. Thanks for all the support

Back