Custom Jedi Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkuru

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to get your critique on this mod. It's the Hasbro Jedi sculpt with added neck, some hair and redone eyes. I even slimed down his face a little. I always thought this was a great sculpt aside from the Sideshow one, I think it will look pretty good in the hands of a great painter. Still have a little more work on him like smoothing everything down, but is it worthy enough to cast up?:confused:

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

Think it looks very promising! I'd try to work some detail into the neck if possible, aside from that, make like Robinson Crusoe... and caste-away young man!

always liked that sculpt. like your improvements too. with a good repaint think it's better than the sideshow one im my opinion.

That looks awesome Katkuru, the sculpt looks great.. What I would do is added a little more texture to the hair but thats just me. I have attached some pics for reference, personally the hair on the hasbro figure looks good. Count me in if you move forward with casting... :D

always liked that sculpt. like your improvements too. with a good repaint think it's better than the sideshow one im my opinion.

For the most part sideshows human faces never look like the actors they are suppose to, and sometimes they just look wierd, and its not just there Star Wars line, that's why I haven't bought many from them. Hasbro has a lot of good human head sculpts that look awesome with just a better paint job, even if some are a bit big. Though if I'm not mistaken Hasbro had some fancy face scanning thingamajiger, or the face scan info from Lucas Films, and let a prototyper do the sculpting.

For the most part sideshows human faces never look like the actors they are suppose to, and sometimes they just look wierd, and its not just there Star Wars line, that's why I haven't bought many from them. Hasbro has a lot of good human head sculpts that look awesome with just a better paint job, even if some are a bit big. Though if I'm not mistaken Hasbro had some fancy face scanning thingamajiger, or the face scan info from Lucas Films, and let a prototyper do the sculpting.

But really, that's cheating!

I'm pretty sure they use 3d face scans as much as possible, I remember seeing a video somewhere and all the peeps from Ep I were getting their faces (full bodies too?) scanned to be turned into Hasbro figures.... that was 3 3/4" stuff tho, but no doubt they could do it on a larger scale....

I think SS has done a good job on several of their human headsculpts tho... I sit here and look at my clonobi sculpt every once in a while and could swear it looks almost just like Kenobi from Ep II....

Looking good so far Katkuru, get that thing mold/cast/painted or whatever so we can see what it looks like done!

I'm pretty sure they use 3d face scans as much as possible, I remember seeing a video somewhere and all the peeps from Ep I were getting their faces (full bodies too?) scanned to be turned into Hasbro figures.... that was 3 3/4" stuff tho, but no doubt they could do it on a larger scale....

I think SS has done a good job on several of their human headsculpts tho... I sit here and look at my clonobi sculpt every once in a while and could swear it looks almost just like Kenobi from Ep II....

Looking good so far Katkuru, get that thing mold/cast/painted or whatever so we can see what it looks like done!

They also used it for the 12" Deluxe Jango and Dooku.

I agree their versions of Obi look good, but all the Han Solo's and Luke's are terrible in my opinion, at least till some are repainted. Most of there other lines were bad too, I still need a decent head for my Army of Darkness Ash, and though I was willing to spend the money to get them all, I passed on the whole Monty Python and the Holy Grail collection, I did get the Raider's Indiana Jones but I've seen he looks way better after a repaint. But it seems its always hit and miss with them because I do have some Sideshow figures that look pretty good like the 12" Univeral Monsters (Béla Lugosi and such),and the Young Frankenstein set.

It seems some actors from the OT got there face scans done too for Hasbro stuff and probably just for ILM in general, and were also used for the 12" line, like Mark Hamill, and some supposedly didn't, like Harrison Ford.

As far as being cheating, I know sculpting isn't easy especially when it come to recreating the likeness of an actor and I don't intend to offend any sculptors here, but if I have a choice between a sculpt of an actor's likeness done by a machine that's a good likeness and one done by hand that that's not, I'm gonna go with the cheaters every time, luckily most of the custom sculpts I've seen are far better than Sideshows.

Last edited:
Hey Katkuru how are you coming along with this?

I'm currently making the sugested changes, still refining the neck and hair. If everything goes right I will cast it up this weekend. If it looks good I plan on doing diffrent hair styles with the cast, like the Jedi master slicked back look. We'll see....

Very cool Katkuru... keep up the good work, can not wait for more updates....

THE FORCE IS STRONG IN THIS ONE

Last edited:
Watching with great interest.

HAHA! Mikey, that quote made me think of Palps at the end of Episode I and his statement about watching Anakin's career with great interest. :lol

P.S., when and if you decide to get one of these resculpts to paint up, don't be afraid to paint one up for me too! :D

Back