Collecting statues, positives and negatives

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhh is there any other hobby with more OCD ? :D

I think you have to have some to be part of this hobby....otherwise we'd be happy with crappy representations and not have to pay through the nose for something 90+% accurate.
Does my Enterbay Terminator really need real leather, wood and steel? Yes dammit it does :D

But to statue boxes:

Q: Will your statue get less when you resell it used on ebay?

A: Probably...how much less I'm not sure. I'm sure that super rare statue will still fetch a pretty penny. Is the probable lower price worth having your house full of very real, very large boxes for years on end? Your choice I guess

Q: But the brown box protects the product box?

A: Yes, and its now getting more popular to request the brown box be put in another box. So the outer box can protect the brown box while it protect the art box while it protects the product....awesome.

And the SS PF boxes aren't really works of arts. They are generally giant sqaures with a pic of the statue on the outside.

Q. But aren't they handy for moving?

A: Probably ...I guess if you move around a lot and need to be ready to leave quickly, then the boxes may come in handy. Otherwise bubble wrap and newspaper will work just fine.

Again, is the ease of moving worth having your house full of giant boxes. Your choice. I own my house. I'm not moving anywhere soon.

To each their own.

If you're lazy when it comes to posing figures for photos, statues are a dream come true. They're meant to look good from almos every angle and you don't have to do a damn thing. :D

Let me just say that once you start migrating over to statues, you will be selling off your 1/6 scale hot toys to fund your new addiction fast!:lol I collect only statues...they are just pure awesome. I had a couple ironman hot toys and i just decided to sell them and get the maquettes instead...there is just no comparison. No offense to people who collect hot toys but when i see a detolf jam packed full of them, it just doesn't look appealing to me. The are posable but not really...most of them tend to be very stiff and have very brittle joints. Statues will have nice dynamic poses and even if they are museum poses, the posture and weight will be balanced nicely to give natural looks. The biggest downside is definitely the boxes. Figuring out a place to store these is just a crazy _____. They easily require more space than the statues themselves. I have a very modest collection and I live in a house and I am struggling for room for my boxes. Still, the upside FAR outweighs the downside. It can be more expensive so you just have to be more selective. Due to each piece being more pricey, you will appreciate each one a bit more than buying 3-4 hot toys. It's like all the hot toys captain americas that are being re sold. You buy it for $150 so people just horde em and sell em. I guarantee you won't be doing that with statues.

very good points have been given here by you guys, lmao of at "your friends and family won't call your statues "dolls." haha. Main thing is i find that the paint apps on hot toys are so much better than any statue, in all seriousness i can not single out even one statue that has better paint apps than any of the newer hot toys figures from lets say 2010 and onward, if there is any out there please let it be known as i would really like to see. The other down side i need to consider is space, i live in an apartment and have 3 detolfs possibly will get a fourth, thats the max i will go, i need some rules and restrictions so its gonna be a major issue too.

I WISH, a company would exist that makes hot toys quality 1/6 statues, like a premium format in 1/6 and most importantly be limited edition, that would be a dream come true, one day hopefully, i heard enterbay is doing something similar with a new bruce lee but its limited to 5000 pieces so whats the point lol

Let me just say that once you start migrating over to statues, you will be selling off your 1/6 scale hot toys to fund your new addiction fast!:lol I collect only statues...they are just pure awesome. I had a couple ironman hot toys and i just decided to sell them and get the maquettes instead...there is just no comparison. No offense to people who collect hot toys but when i see a detolf jam packed full of them, it just doesn't look appealing to me. The are posable but not really...most of them tend to be very stiff and have very brittle joints. Statues will have nice dynamic poses and even if they are museum poses, the posture and weight will be balanced nicely to give natural looks. The biggest downside is definitely the boxes. Figuring out a place to store these is just a crazy _____. They easily require more space than the statues themselves. I have a very modest collection and I live in a house and I am struggling for room for my boxes. Still, the upside FAR outweighs the downside. It can be more expensive so you just have to be more selective. Due to each piece being more pricey, you will appreciate each one a bit more than buying 3-4 hot toys. It's like all the hot toys captain americas that are being re sold. You buy it for $150 so people just horde em and sell em. I guarantee you won't be doing that with statues.

this..

very good points have been given here by you guys, lmao of at "your friends and family won't call your statues "dolls." haha. Main thing is i find that the paint apps on hot toys are so much better than any statue, in all seriousness i can not single out even one statue that has better paint apps than any of the newer hot toys figures from lets say 2010 and onward, if there is any out there please let it be known as i would really like to see. The other down side i need to consider is space, i live in an apartment and have 3 detolfs possibly will get a fourth, thats the max i will go, i need some rules and restrictions so its gonna be a major issue too.

I WISH, a company would exist that makes hot toys quality 1/6 statues, like a premium format in 1/6 and most importantly be limited edition, that would be a dream come true, one day hopefully, i heard enterbay is doing something similar with a new bruce lee but its limited to 5000 pieces so whats the point lol

that happened to me when i still collect 1/6, wife and friends says im collecting dolls..
i tried to console myself at first but finally realized they are right.. haha

I collect both but 95% are statues. Depending on the scale of statues, I prefer them over 12" figures anyday of the week

Pros for collecting 1:4 statues:
-Size. Its an attention getter. People I know talk about it more often then 12" figure
- They don't have joints. Biggest knock on a 12" figure.
- There solid.
- color usually pops out more on a statue then a 12" figure.
- they don't look plastic or cheap
- they don't have that damn ugly black post supporting the figure. It looks like something is stuck up their butt area.
- more limited then a 12" figure.

Cons for collecting statues
- the biggest issue is the box. They take up so much room.
- inconsistent paint App or googly eyes. SSC needs to step it up on this big time.
- Price but that can be said for 12" figures too.
- not posable

Value
Depending on the statue character, quality and how many they are made they retain higher value then a 12" figure. The knock with 12" figures is that if u open the box and display it, it loses value or doesn't increase as much. The general 12" highest selling point maybe $400-$500. A statue is the opposite. You can open it & display without losing value (depends on the character though) because they are more sought after.

This post pretty much sums it up for me. I was heavy into 1/6 for a while but once I got my first statue, it was lights out. Couldn't justify the high prices for non limited action figures anymore, not to mention that statues have a special presence that action figures don't have. My statues always get a "woah that's cool" while my 1/6 got more of a "those are cute" and "let's move along" vibe :lol ...I don't collect for what other people think, but I get those same feelings myself. I never get tired of looking at my statues while my 1/6 I got to not caring much for them anymore. Doesn't help that HT totally turned me off with making their stuff non limited anymore. If I'm going to pay the big bucks, it better be worth something. Just look at the for sale section on this forum, it's littered with HT products that aren't really moving unless you take a loss. I've also found myself to save money by collecting statues. I got more picky and the releases aren't as often as 1/6 unless you collect everything under the sun.

I'm also transitioning from collecting 1/6 figures (almost entirely hot toys) to Sideshow statues. What was the triggering event? Having the sideshow Iron Man and War Machine maquettes in hand. After that, there was no turning back. I have the Hot Toys version of these, but there is absolutely no comparison. And, with Hot Toys IM mark 6 fetching close to $300 these days, may as well get the 1/4 maquette for only $250 extra. It's much more impressive for sure.

Of course, it also helps that thus far, sideshow has been very true to their word regarding edition sizes. Once a statue sells out, that's it. If you want it, you have to get it on the secondary market. They're not gonna reproduce the same statue.

Honestly, biggest thing to worry about for me is the paint apps. Sometimes the proto pics will be amazing so you jump on it but then when you get the product, it can sometimes be bad,esp with eyes. Sideshow is a hit and miss with this :slap

facecompareroguereg.jpg

Is that supposed to be actual figure vs prototype?

Good god. It's not even close to being the same sculpt.

Sideshow's advertising has always been sketchy at best. Like their so-called "exclusives" that are often available in other places with a different sticker on the box.

Back