Collecting statues, positives and negatives

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunna

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Ive been collecting purely Hot Toys and 1/6 scale figures for the last 1.5 years and ive been recently thinking about getting into statues too. Im just doing some initial research before diving in as this is going to become an even more expensive hobby than it already is lol. From your experience what are the positives and negatives when it comes to statues.

Ill start off by telling you guys that ive been thinking about slowly fading out of hot toys because its become apparent that they are no longer limited edition collectibles and they will keep re releasing old figures and new versions of existing characters. This would be fine if it didn't effect the value and deface the integrity of a limited edition collectible. Iam a collector that collects for 2 reasons, i love the figure/ movie and i like knowing that i own something that is rare, highly sort after, limited edition and at least retains or gains value in the future, call me an elitist or what have you, it doesnt bother me, i like collecting for these very reasons and gives me a sense of happiness and fulfillment in my life.

So, my question is if i get into collecting statues do they usually retain or gain value in the future? i know the grails def will but what about the lesser grail pieces. The one thing i dont like about statues is the shipping cost, also considering im in australia the shipping for 1/4 statues is ridiculous and a big turn off so i need to make sure its worth it.

Please let me know what are some other negatives and positives with statues and if theres anything i need to watch out for, any info will be very appreciated and help me in making an informed decision if whether this is the right move to make or not. thanks guys and sorry if there is another post about this anywhere.

It's really hit or miss with statues just like anything else. Some gain or retain value, some do not. Some are hits and highly sought after before even being released, Joker PF, Prime Maquette, Darth Talon come to mind. Many you can't give away.

The big thing is never collect based off speculation or you will probably be disappointed. Collect what you like and anticipate liking for a long, long time. And if they gain in value, that's a plus. That way, either way, you will be happy. That's my own personal cardinal rule for collecting. Hope my .02 helped.

Plus side.

They are better made. Feels like much better quality and they are more detailed and capture/symbolize their brand to a larger extent.
They have a more museum like pose and expression. In that sense, they to me, are more exclusive collectibles in all aspects.

Minus side.

They are expensive and depending on how you choose to display them they take up a lot more space. They are similarly addictive as 1/6. But you have to be more cautious. Both from a financial as well as a spatial view.

I went from 1/6 to PF/1:1 busts. Simply because I like the more museum like style. I actually don't like the 1/6 that much anylonger since it's too "toy-ish".

Honestly, biggest thing to worry about for me is the paint apps. Sometimes the proto pics will be amazing so you jump on it but then when you get the product, it can sometimes be bad,esp with eyes. Sideshow is a hit and miss with this :slap

facecompareroguereg.jpg

Enterbay's 1/4 T-800 laughs at your statue vs figure comparisons
...or stares blankly like a souless killer robot should....

:rock

Ive been collecting purely Hot Toys and 1/6 scale figures for the last 1.5 years and ive been recently thinking about getting into statues too. Im just doing some initial research before diving in as this is going to become an even more expensive hobby than it already is lol. From your experience what are the positives and negatives when it comes to statues.

Ill start off by telling you guys that ive been thinking about slowly fading out of hot toys because its become apparent that they are no longer limited edition collectibles and they will keep re releasing old figures and new versions of existing characters. This would be fine if it didn't effect the value and deface the integrity of a limited edition collectible. Iam a collector that collects for 2 reasons, i love the figure/ movie and i like knowing that i own something that is rare, highly sort after, limited edition and at least retains or gains value in the future, call me an elitist or what have you, it doesnt bother me, i like collecting for these very reasons and gives me a sense of happiness and fulfillment in my life.

So, my question is if i get into collecting statues do they usually retain or gain value in the future? i know the grails def will but what about the lesser grail pieces. The one thing i dont like about statues is the shipping cost, also considering im in australia the shipping for 1/4 statues is ridiculous and a big turn off so i need to make sure its worth it.

Please let me know what are some other negatives and positives with statues and if theres anything i need to watch out for, any info will be very appreciated and help me in making an informed decision if whether this is the right move to make or not. thanks guys and sorry if there is another post about this anywhere.

i made the jump from 1/6 to statue a few months back and i end up saving more money.. :)
you just have to focus on what kind of statues u like best and what kind of line...
and just choose the best statue, sometimes it's a gamble with a PO, maybe 5% risk end up like rogue statue above..
but it can happen to hottoys as well, ex. indiana jones.. haha

i still collect some hottoys for accessories to my statue, for example if u have destroyer maquette then it is cool to have thor 1/6 next to it.. :)
hottoys are very2 cheap nowadays due to overstock so i consider them accessories now, and im glad i get rid most of my 1/6 already..

you could get jack sparrow dx is 100 bucks, superman 100 bucks, predator tracker 80 bucks... (all brand new) in my country..

Wow, that is cheap, where do you live dvdwyn?

indonesia, nearby singapore and thailand. :)
there are too many scalpers and hottoys investors here.. so the stock is really flooding, many crazy sales and auctions here and there every single day.. :yess:
forget to mention bruce lee.. in suit n casual - usd 60, enterbay god - usd 150, haha

I collect both but 95% are statues. Depending on the scale of statues, I prefer them over 12" figures anyday of the week

Pros for collecting 1:4 statues:
-Size. Its an attention getter. People I know talk about it more often then 12" figure
- They don't have joints. Biggest knock on a 12" figure.
- There solid.
- color usually pops out more on a statue then a 12" figure.
- they don't look plastic or cheap
- they don't have that damn ugly black post supporting the figure. It looks like something is stuck up their butt area.
- more limited then a 12" figure.

Cons for collecting statues
- the biggest issue is the box. They take up so much room.
- inconsistent paint App or googly eyes. SSC needs to step it up on this big time.
- Price but that can be said for 12" figures too.
- not posable

Value
Depending on the statue character, quality and how many they are made they retain higher value then a 12" figure. The knock with 12" figures is that if u open the box and display it, it loses value or doesn't increase as much. The general 12" highest selling point maybe $400-$500. A statue is the opposite. You can open it & display without losing value (depends on the character though) because they are more sought after.

Last edited:
I'd say go into props, they are very interesting and it is like owning a piece of the real item.

The biggest negative to me is the lack of space to put those things. For those of us living in the city in apartments, it's extremely annoying.

I have 1 giant curio in the living room, and got another giant one incoming. And already have more stuff to have both completely filled.

You guys with your houses and big basements have no idea how good you have it...

Peoples need to keep the box is the real killer.
Hot Toys boxes you kind of have to keep as they hold all the accessories ...and DX boxes are works of art that must be kept.

Statue boxes do NOT need to be kept. They are a giant foam square that takes up a ton of room.

If you decide to sell later on, wrap that sucker in layers of bubble wrap and pack the inside of the box with foam peanuts. Done.

Peoples need to keep the box is the real killer.
Hot Toys boxes you kind of have to keep as they hold all the accessories ...and DX boxes are works of art that must be kept.

Statue boxes do NOT need to be kept. They are a giant foam square that takes up a ton of room.

If you decide to sell later on, wrap that sucker in layers of bubble wrap and pack the inside of the box with foam peanuts. Done.

worst advise ever :) dont throw away your boxes!

That is also vacu-formed to protect the statue. Even if you dont plan on reselling, keeping the packaing is essential and makes things much easier if you want to move or put them away.

Back