CM Alien paint advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INFECDEAD

Super Freak
Reaction score
I plan on adding some varnish to my CM Alien. I just don't like how dry the paint app on this looks, and I really like how my Alien 3 maquette next to it has a sheen to it. I varnished a few Halcyon Alien pieces back in the day so I have some experience here.
So, not concerned with ruining the value of the statue since I will never sell it I'm wondering if anyone knows if the paint on the CM's is acrylic or oil based? The varnish I have I used on my acrylic painted Halcyons but it can't be used on oil based paints so I don't want to ruin it by putting the wrong varnish on it. If anyone also has some experience in doing something similar and can recommend a good varnish product that would be cool.
If anyone could help me out with this it would be great.
Cheers

P1000514.jpg

What about spraying the piece with automotive clear coat. I have used that on many pieces and gives it a nice glossy coat. Won't harm acrylic paint either. In fact the opposite actually brings ut the colors and gives it depth.

Sorry to side track. I don't know much at all about varnish.

For gloss coating you might want to consider Future/Klear. It's actually an acrylic-based water-soluble floor polish but it works fantastic on models. It's fairly safe and non-reactive with most dry paint finishes (though it can lift off wet acrylic.) The best thing I find with it is how easy it is to apply and how well it settles into an even coat.

https://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

But of course you need to test whatever you use first! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone - I will look into both options posted so far and any more that get posted over the weekend and should have my mind made up and the job done in the next couple of days. I would never had thought of either automotive coat or floor polish of all things to use!
The only question I have about both of these are do they set hard or do they remain "oily" if you know what I mean?
I would prefer something that sets dry, doesn't turn yellow and especially doesn't craze over time.
Cheers everyone....

The only question I have about both of these are do they set hard or do they remain "oily" if you know what I mean? I would prefer something that sets dry, doesn't turn yellow and especially doesn't craze over time.

The Future sets hard and doesn't yellow. It goes on very thin and so doesn't craze either. You don't want to lay anything on too thick.

A quick follow up for anyone interested in how the glossing of my Cinemaquette Alien went.
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!
I ended up using an aerosol picture varnish from my local art shop which dries clear and doesn't craze. Used two light coats between drying each time. Held by hand the arms and tail and spayed them. Taped up the dome since I didn't want to gloss it (and don't think it's necessary) and sprayed the head. Fixed a couple of varnish runs up with turps. Finally I cling wrapped the base 360' on all 4 sides and stood the main body on that and sprayed it.
It looks much better as far as I am concerned, the gloss really brings out the details and deepens the contrast of them. The statue has a beautiful dark bronze tone to it which is marbled by black.
Hope you like it.

front1.jpg
front2.jpg
arm1.jpg
arm2.jpg
rhs1.jpg
rhs2.jpg
P1000543.jpg
P1000542.jpg

P1000535.jpg

Looks nice. Yeah, the original did look a little too dry. I like it. If I got one, I might do the same thing. Some pics with better lighting would show off your work a little better, though.

Very nice. I have to do this to mine...hmmm.

Nervous though.

Great job! If/when I get one (waiting to see what Sideshow's ends up looking like), thats definitely the same route I'm taking!

I have a question about my Hot Toys Dog Alien, the bastard is getting dryer then a nuns C%$# and i need to know the best gloss coat to use on this guy, would Future Floor Wax hurt the rubber body maybe?.

Here's some more illuminated pics for you guys who wanted some. It is the best I can do I only have one small halogen desk lamp and it's more yellow than my white down lights -Sorry my shelves are so crap I'm taking them apart in a few weeks...
I also included a pic of the aerosol can I used to spray the statue with. There are no ingredients or anything like that on the can, just warnings etc on the back. It really was a piece of cake to spray. Each coat dried to the touch after a couple of minutes so I could put them down and after I started the spray cycle on each part the whole thing was dry in an hour.
I also included jo sonja's varnish gloss which I used back in the day on my Halcyon stuff. Now the little dog burster kit in the back there has been in my stinking hot garage all summer, his left leg has bowed from being on his side in the heat and it hasn't crazed, melted or changed colour. You can't beat that for abuse tolerance....I don't know how you will go getting the same brands outside of Australia but I'm sure there is the same type of stuff wherever you live. If you really want this exact same stuff I'm sure I can get it for you. Not sure about the aerosol though I think they are banned for mailing....

lit3.jpg

lit2.jpg

lit1.jpg

gloss.jpg

Just add some saliva to finish it off man, looks awesome...

I was looking at the cover of the new AVP game the other day and thinking the same thing. It would be hard to do without making it permanent. I will have a fiddle with glue this week at work, I have an endless supply of hotmelt to experiment with :naughty

P1000558.jpg

Back