Cloud Atlas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Speed Racer really set the box office on fire.

But general moviegoers completely forgot about SR. If you ask people what the Wachowski's are famous for they will say the Matrix films...and maybe even V for Vendetta. So, yes, I'm a bit surprised this movie tanked.

But general moviegoers completely forgot about SR. If you ask people what the Wachowski's are famous for they will say the Matrix films...and maybe even V for Vendetta. So, yes, I'm a bit surprised this movie tanked.

no bro Speed Racer burned any bridges these 2 had, people remember that movie because of what a waste of money and time it was. You don't forget a movie that makes it to your top 10 worst movies or all time.

I don't think this movie tanked entirely because of Speed Racer. It was because
1. no one knew what it was about (trailers didn't help either)
2. it was not as well promoted as it could have
3. the reviews for RT were bad.
And Speed Racer. I am sure a lot of people will not buy into what these guys make from now on, Even the third matrix rubbed many people the wrong way, SR was just the last nail on the coffin.

and Don't forget about Ninja Assassin.... another turd from these guys

no offense to those who like it, but i seriously do not get the love for speed racer. it is a terrible, terrible movie. i appreciate what the wachowskis were going for but the results just fell flat. the irony is, for all its visual kineticism, it felt lifeless and inert. the best thing i can say about it is that it is a noble failed experiment.

cloud atlas doesn't seem to be reversing the general impression of the wachowskis as filmmakers. shame. i haven't seen it yet but it does look fascinating. and at least it's original.

Agree. I love Speed Racer. My guess is people couldn't get into the satire of the film.

Or people never liked the show. It's the same thing.

The only problem with Speed was it was 40 minutes too long. Still an awesome movie.

I didn't like it that much. All the actors playing all these different characters didn't make much sense. I thought they were supposed to be connected through all those lives, but they were just different people...so why did it have to be the same actor?

no bro Speed Racer burned any bridges these 2 had, people remember that movie because of what a waste of money and time it was. You don't forget a movie that makes it to your top 10 worst movies or all time.

I don't think this movie tanked entirely because of Speed Racer. It was because
1. no one knew what it was about (trailers didn't help either)
2. it was not as well promoted as it could have
3. the reviews for RT were bad.
And Speed Racer. I am sure a lot of people will not buy into what these guys make from now on, Even the third matrix rubbed many people the wrong way, SR was just the last nail on the coffin.

and Don't forget about Ninja Assassin.... another turd from these guys

Disagreed. GENERAL moviegoers do not have those bridges. Not in this case. Except for all of us nerds/geeks on forums, people have long forgotten Speed Racer. Hell, I'm a huge Matrix, V for Vendetta, and (now) Cloud Atlas fan and even I completely forgot they worked on SR. The Wachowski's aren't very well-known in the mainstream. They don't have a James Cameron, Clint Eastwood or Chris Nolan status. Everytime I speak of them, I have to resort to calling them the "guys who did the Matrix movie" before people know who I'm speaking of.

And, as an aside, the only people who are ranking there "10 worst movies ever" are pretty much nerds and geeks as well. People who just go to the movies for a social night out and don't sit on a forum afterwards don't really give a crap. Those are the general moviegoers who have probably forgotten that the movie even exists. Just like many other examples, most people who went to go see Speed Racer in theaters were either A) fans of the anime or B) dragged along by someone who was. And Ninja Assassin? Same thing. People didn't really go see it because of the producers who were attached (maybe a minimal few, but nothing of note). People saw it because they wanted to see a kung-fu/ninja-slashing movie. That's a smaller market, and it had a smaller intake at the BO (and agreeably it wasn't very good either, but I didn't expect it to be anything more than a popcorn cult martial art film and I don't know why anyone would have expected differently).

Last edited:
reading all this sounds like Matrix..Lost all over again... so much potential.. its building up so awesome.. and then..at the end... it was all for ... NOTHING ?

You think everything you are watching is neccesary for the outcome of the movie.... and then.. its not ..

Not sure which parts you are referring to, and the comparison of how the Matrix was for nothing? Do you mean the way the first film ends or the end to the entire trilogy?

And Cloud Atlas is never "for nothing". It's the very opposite. It just doesn't have a flamboyant, in-your-face singular final confrontation or epiphany like most films have. The affects of each story are both obvious and subtle. The links between can be ambiguous to some degree and than others it's painstakingly direct. Rather than the typical film where all these events lead up to this final "main" event, this one has six different stories, none more vital than the other, where Event A influences Event B and so-on as the characters who stand witness to it all change and their lives intertwine somehow.

I walked away with that, and was satisfied. The whole singular spirit being reincarnated was more confusing. But that will take a second watch from me.

Im talking about how the trilogy ended.. yes I know he had to go to the source... bla.. but so many other things like the conversation with the maker...etc.. so many theories we created and got disappointed at the end.. same with Lost

I havent seen cloud.. I just read some reviews here from board members.. but surly will make my own opinion.. its just sad to hear a lot of disappointing statements which draw parallels to other movies of the Wachowski Bros

I liked the overall themes of the individual stories, but I just wanted this thing to hurry and end. :lol

Back