Cloud Atlas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Wachowskis' Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas really is, simply mindblowing. This is a film I will revisit for years to come. I'm still in awe of what I just saw tonight, a bit speechless too. Beautiful, pure cinema at its absolute best. Go see it.

How are you going to post a review where he says it's a "good time" and very interesting and then say it's definitely a blu ray rental? lol That review would make me want to see it in theaters...it's the other critic reviews that would make me want to rent it.

I agree with most of the review. But when the film works, it's beautiful, which is way more times than not imo.

Last edited:

I agree with that review. The only issue I had was some of the make up 'creations,' such as Hugo Weaving as a woman or asian dude. Just looked terrible and unnecessarily distracting...other times seeing Hally Berry as a weird looking Madonna clone was kinda cool - weird, but not like Hugo's make up

Aside from the that aspect, movie was pretty darn entertaining.

Can we make this a spoiler zone now? I'd like to discuss it because I'm not sure if I connected everything...

Ah, atleast for now:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Getting ready to watch it. They just played a Trojan commercial for vibrating condoms up on the giant IMAX screen. Kind of a weird way to prepare you for the movie.

I agree with that review. The only issue I had was some of the make up 'creations,' such as Hugo Weaving as a woman or asian dude. Just looked terrible and unnecessarily distracting...other times seeing Hally Berry as a weird looking Madonna clone was kinda cool - weird, but not like Hugo's make up

Aside from the that aspect, movie was pretty darn entertaining.

tumblr_m8hbkusEKP1qgxd6w.jpg
9946073_gal.jpg

Well, I thought it was great. Not pretentious like Tree of Life, which I was kind of expecting for some reason. It was accessible and I didn't have any trouble following it at all. The different stories were all enjoyable and made sense, and they didn't try to force a bunch of connections in a convoluted way--they were mostly thematically linked and because of that, they all flowed together smoothly. It was like six movies in one, with drama, action, comedy, romance, sci-fi, etc. all rolled into one. It was well worth seeing on the big screen and I'll purchase it on Blu-ray and watch it again at home.

I caught most of the actors in makeup across the six time periods, but during the credits I realized I had missed a few. I think Hugo Weaving as a woman worked because the character was supposed to be a horrid monster and that episode was the most comical and light hearted of the six.

The most distracting makeups were definitely Weaving as a woman and Asian. Also Doona Bae as a Hispanic and Caucasian didn't really work either. I found that I recognized the heavy makeups and was just trying to see the actor underneath it the whole time. It was also interesting that at least one performer Xun Zhou I didn't know and even after the credit role wasn't sure of he/i/r/s gender.

I did feel that the film was a bit pretentious and didn't really accomplish the ambitious goals it set for itself, but it is thought provoking and a visual tour de force.

Well, I thought it was great. Not pretentious like Tree of Life, which I was kind of expecting for some reason. It was accessible and I didn't have any trouble following it at all. The different stories were all enjoyable and made sense, and they didn't try to force a bunch of connections in a convoluted way--they were mostly thematically linked and because of that, they all flowed together smoothly. It was like six movies in one, with drama, action, comedy, romance, sci-fi, etc. all rolled into one. It was well worth seeing on the big screen and I'll purchase it on Blu-ray and watch it again at home.

I caught most of the actors in makeup across the six time periods, but during the credits I realized I had missed a few. I think Hugo Weaving as a woman worked because the character was supposed to be a horrid monster and that episode was the most comical and light hearted of the six.

Good. Maybe you can help me with the questions I raised in my post which was spoiler-tagged.:rotfl

Well this one was no match for Argo in its third week - not surprised as this one was too different for its own good - hope International cleans house

Just saw it. Acting was fabulous from all; it was gorgeous to look at. But, am still pondering how some of the sections really interconnected. Maybe I'm trying to overthink it. I will now have to go read the book 'cuz it's gonna drive me nuts.

Just saw it. Acting was fabulous from all; it was gorgeous to look at. But, am still pondering how some of the sections really interconnected. Maybe I'm trying to overthink it. I will now have to go read the book 'cuz it's gonna drive me nuts.

I think I did the same thing. I expected the connections to be more supernatural or linear in heritage or something, but it isn't. I think it's simply connected by a main character having their life changed by the previous main character. In other words:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I think the connections are more straight-forward than I thought going in. The birthmark thing though could add another element. But I haven't put that all together. Shame this film isn't going to win the weekend. I honestly thought it would just based on the trailer and production team alone.

Hoping to see this soon! its a shame it didnt to to well in its opening weekend, for an epic it didnt seem like Warners marketed it well, i mean there were trailers and interviews but mabey they didnt even know how to describe the film. Mabey they know Argo is there award winner.

I think the connections are more straight-forward than I thought going in. The birthmark thing though could add another element. But I haven't put that all together.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Shame this film isn't going to win the weekend. I honestly thought it would just based on the trailer and production team alone.

Yeah, Speed Racer really set the box office on fire.

Hugo Weaving has stolen Sean Connery's crown as the most ridiculous, laugh-inducing Caucasian-made-up-as-an-Asian in cinema history.

You-Only-Live-Twice-James-Bond-Sean-Connery-Japanese.png

"You don't say?"

HugoWeavingAsianfaceCloudAtlas-238x196.jpg

"Raff while you can!"

rooney.jpg

"Herro! You forgot about me!"

Last edited:
I've seen the film twice now, and noticed more the second time than in the first. I noticed some common themes that weren't as obvious the first time:

- Many of the villains get defeated by a strike to the head.
- Being "thrown off a balcony" mentioned in several stories and done once.
- Eating soap mentioned in several stories.

These were minor connections I didn't catch on my first viewing and I'm sure there are more.

One thing that really bothers me was how Zachry's scar was not in the same place as the cut he received. I'm not sure how this got through unnoticed.

Back