Classic Flicks You Should Have Watched

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I hear classics I think of films before the 70's

So

Citizen Kane
Marx Brothers Films
West Side Story
The Haunting
Sound of Music
Frankenstein
On the Waterfront
Angels with Dirty Faces
White Heat
Casablanca
His Gal Friday

Gone with the wind
Casablanca
2001 A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Citizen Kane
Lawrence of Arabia

Films I often see mentioned in lists of great films, never seen them. I've seen the Godfather films but frankly it's been so long that it feels as though I haven't.

2001 is being rereleased in the UK - freaks over there should take advantage of the chance to see it in a theater.

You just have to have grown up with many of these films. The Shining wasn't one that I watched as a child and I watched it as an adult for the first time and thought it was boring as ****. Absolute heresy to many I presume. Sadly I expect the same would be the case with 2001.

You just have to have grown up with many of these films. The Shining wasn't one that I watched as a child and I watched it as an adult for the first time and thought it was boring as ****. Absolute heresy to many I presume. Sadly I expect the same would be the case with 2001.
Not really. I guess it just depends. I didn't grow up with 2001 and its on my list of the greatest movies ever. You should give The Shining another chance.:)

There are some directors out there who are pretty overrated IMO. Currently, I would put Paul Thomas Anderson in that camp. But I would not say that about Kubrick. I think he was about as close to a movie making "genius" as you're going to find. So much depth, complexity, and thoughtfulness in his films.

Yeah, some of those Spielberg movies just hit all the right notes for me. Hard to get inside the mind of someone who isn't into them. But then, that's a human shortcoming that we all share on some level.

Problem is if you don't see these films from their earliest days, it doesn't matter if someone tells you that they were the originators of certain things, certain creatures, certain types of scares etc. You saw all the imitators first and now the original doesn't really have that going for it in your eyes.

Hence kids preferring the Star Wars PT over the originals. And I'm guessing kids today wouldn't think much of T1 or even T2 now. ''Arnold who?''

And no doubt I'm guilty of this sort of thing with regard to classics that were before my time.

I showed my niece Terminator when she was about 10 and she was rapt. (Kinda lost interest with T2 though.)

Have you ever seen the 1986 version of Little Shop of Horrors? Love that movie, great music and very, very funny.

It's a riot. I'm not saying it's the only musical I like, just the only one I know of that I will shill for.

2001 A Space Odyssey

Meh.

Apocalypse Now

Opposite of meh.

I showed my niece Terminator when she was about 10 and she was rapt. (Kinda lost interest with T2 though.)

Pacing of T1 is undeniably better. As a child I tolerated the Pescadero hospital scenes in T2 because of the cool action and effects elsewhere.

It's weird because it seemed like she wanted to be more interested in T2. She was ready for more story.

The first one just blew her away. I'm sure she rates them both highly to this day, but I saw the change in how engaged she was. Terminator is so much more visceral. It's scary. Nuclear war is probably the top rung in things to be afraid of, but the whole atmosphere of the first movie was a lot more threatening and I think that was what she was after.

The newest generation doesn't have a clue what the weight of impending global thermonuclear war brings. It's a fashion sticker on a school notebook for them.

Back