Classic Flicks You Should Have Watched

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newest generation doesn't have a clue what the weight of impending global thermonuclear war brings. It's a fashion sticker on a school notebook for them.

I remember watching a show about Nostradamus when I was a kid, the prognostication about impending Nuclear War scared the bejeezus out of me. I couldnt shake it for years. Scared me more than any Horror movie ever made.

Problem is if you don't see these films from their earliest days, it doesn't matter if someone tells you that they were the originators of certain things, certain creatures, certain types of scares etc. You saw all the imitators first and now the original doesn't really have that going for it in your eyes.

Hence kids preferring the Star Wars PT over the originals. And I'm guessing kids today wouldn't think much of T1 or even T2 now. ''Arnold who?''

And no doubt I'm guilty of this sort of thing with regard to classics that were before my time.

Yeh, for that reason I'd want to read up on Hitchcock's films before watching them. I know he developed a lot of the suspense devices that have since become tropes through their adoption in later cinema. It'd help me enjoy his films for the pioneering landmarks they're universally acknowledged to be if I was properly informed about what I was watching.

But at the same time, that'd sort of spoil them. Maybe I should watch them first in the blind, and then watch them again as an informed viewer. But I'm not going to have the time for that any time soon.

I must say, I'm not a fan of Pshyco - or The Birds. :huh

I of course respect Hitchcock's contribution to film making, but some of his key films never struck a chord with me.

I've watched Psycho a few times, & my opinion hasn't changed.

The Birds on the other hand, I only just recently watched in the last year for the first time, & have no interest in watching it again. It was cool to see a young Veronica Cartright in it, but.. ehh.

I'd suggest "The Lady Vanishes" and "Rear Window." I haven't seen Psycho or Birds since I was a kid but I found them a bit dull. And I won't blame my immaturity on that. I loved his television series at that time so it wasn't a matter of them being old and outdated.

I still need to see "North by Northwest."

2001 is being rereleased in the UK - freaks over there should take advantage of the chance to see it in a theater.

Never got around to see it. Looks great though. Dark and strange. People speak so highly of it I dont want to ruin it by seeing it. :lol I have mixed feelings on the Shining. There are things I love about it and other things I flat out don't.

Others:

Casablanca
Citizen Cane
The French Connection

I first saw 2001 as an 8-year old and it messed with my mind a bit. I haven't given it a committed, uninterrupted viewing for years, I think I'll double-header it with The Sound of Music. There is some epic film craft in 2001, but damn if the narrative treatment isn't like walking through treacle.

:lol That's why its taken so long for me to see it. I need to condition my mind for the viewing. :lol

I like the Sound of Music. Ive seen it too much though. My wife loves it.

I watched The Sound of Music on the weekend. It was very watchable, I really enjoyed it. It was a bit strange being able to sing along to almost every line despite never having watched the movie... amazing how extensive is its reach in popular culture.

I watched The Sound of Music on the weekend. It was very watchable, I really enjoyed it. It was a bit strange being able to sing along to almost every line despite never having watched the movie... amazing how extensive is its reach in popular culture.
Of course - it's definitely one for the ages. :)

The sad thing is, that a large percentage of the nerds here wouldn't give it a minute of their time, because Channing Tatum or Elizabeth Olsen aren't in it.

Of course - it's definitely one for the ages. :)

The sad thing is, that a large percentage of the nerds here wouldn't give it a minute of their time, because Channing Tatum or Elizabeth Olsen aren't in it.

I don't know if that's true or not, still haven't gotten the vibe here. :)

But I grew up with parents who played opera, musicals, and classical on LP all the time. I have my mom's version of The Sound of Music with Mary Martin as Maria. She was Larry Hagman's mom. My exposure runs deep. Of course, we also had an 8-track player, and that's where I learned about disco. :rotfl
Doesn't mean I'm a fan of a lot of it, because I'm not. But I appreciate all of it. Knowledge = exposure. Refusal to experience is willful ignorance in my book.

I've not seen Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Dr. Zhivago, The Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven.

I only last year forced myself to watch Dr. Strangelove but I found it dull & unfunny.

I've not seen Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, Dr. Zhivago, The Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven.

I only last year forced myself to watch Dr. Strangelove but I found it dull & unfunny.

Go watch them all.. Strange love I was never to crazy about myself. GWTW WAS GREAT. Imagine that film(color) back in 39. Many today find it boring but I look at it from a film history point of view. For many back then this or Wizard of Oz was the first time seeing a color movie too. The scope was magnificent. 39 was a huge year in film. Maybe the greatest

Go watch them all.. Strange love I was never to crazy about myself. GWTW WAS GREAT. Imagine that film(color) back in 39. Many today find it boring but I look at it from a film history point of view. For many back then this or Wizard of Oz was the first time seeing a color movie too. The scope was magnificent. 39 was a huge year in film. Maybe the greatest

Thanks for the responses. Of the films I listed GWTW is the only one I don't really fancy watching. It may be in part to needing to set aside 4hrs or so to get through it but I'm just not sure that I'll ever get up for sitting through it all. I will try & catch the rest of them though.

Back