Classic Comedians - Laurel & Hardy, Marx Brothers, Stooges, Hope/Crosby, Martin/Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Classic Comedians Thread - starting with Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy

Although not a huge fan... I think tonight, on the Sunday before Labor Day, I just want to acknowledge Jerry Lewis's contribution to the Golden Age of Comedy. He is really the last of the great comedy teams who is still with us.

I watched part of what used to be the MDA Telethon, and thought to myself... What is the point of it all now. No tote board, three hours long, no old time Las Vegas acts, everything pre-taped, no final tally, and no Jerry. Who will watch this now? and who will donate to this well deserving charity?

I think Mr. Lewis was not treated right once MDA decided to part ways with him. I felt very sad watching what little I did tonight.

It's really the end of an era, and not a good end, it certainly did not end on a high point.

All this nostalgia may be because I worked on the local cut-ins for the New York area and spent 10 years not sleeping on the Labor Day Weekend.

It, was fun.....

Last edited:

I read your post, and agree that it is a sad ending to an incredible tradition that took place over the past 40+ years...
I read a book on Martin and Lewis a while back, and (it seems that) Lewis' ego played a big role in their breakup. It probably played a role here too (but how about the egos on the MDA board...)? After millions and millions of dollars raised and countless efforts by many over the years, it should not have ended as it did.
I sat back and waited to see who would respond to your post...is it just you and I, Jim, who feel the same? Anyone else out there?
On the bright side, I would like to think that those millions have brought us closer to a cure, and Lewis' efforts are recognized, if not by MDA or society, by that Someone who counts...

Last edited:

Get your DVR's ready...

Tonight on TCM, The films of Mack Sennett, Charlie Chaplin and The Bowery Boys!

Thanks for the heads up! And thanks for specifying TCM...I would have searched for them on all the news channels tonight...

Alas, I don't think we will ever see a 1/6 sculpt of Leo Gorcey...

Just saw an unannounced L&H film "Laughing Gravy" on TCM. Haven't seen this one in many years.

Just a heads up...

TCM has classic comedy every thursday this month starting at 8:00 pm eastern time, including...

Laurel and Hardy

9/13
"Flying Deuces" 3:00 am
"Zenobia" 4:45 am
"Them Thar Hills" 6:00 am

9/27
"Sons of the Desert" 4:00 am
"The Music Box" 5:15

Hey Jim, thanks for the heads up! I would have missed them had it not been for your post...

I am sure you know about the great DVD collection that is out with all (well, almost all) of the sound shorts they made. Here is a link to it:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-The-Essential-Collection/dp/B005BYBZKY[/ame]

Well worth the money in my opinion...

I've been working on a 1927 washing machine based on their lost film, Hats Off...

04d44bcb687763f3131fba7a760b15bf.jpg

c8f08049002972e979c4bf8e499de99f.jpg

It's fairly easy to make and I will put some final touches on it. I figure it can be used to display with the Chaplin figure as well.

By the way, I took that awful hat that came with Chaplin, cut the brim, sanded and painted it. It came out ok (and certainly much better than it was). Spenser's is still much better, but at least that hat is usable now...

Last edited:

Just got my Laurel&Hardy heads from Spenser - now to get the bodies/clothing.

Way to go Yodasan! Post pics whenever you feel inclined...

Hey Jim, thanks for the heads up! I would have missed them had it not been for your post...

I am sure you know about the great DVD collection that is out with all (well, almost all) of the sound shorts they made. Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-The-Essential-Collection/dp/B005BYBZKY

Well worth the money in my opinion...

I've been working on a 1927 washing machine based on their lost film, Hats Off...

20b7d0fdadd2b1f98926a3d25a8a32e9.jpg

87cec189135df2fb53951a285762e8d7.jpg

It's fairly easy to make and I will put some final touches on it. I figure it can be used to display with the Chaplin figure as well.

By the way, I took that awful hat that came with Chaplin, cut the brim, sanded and painted it. It came out ok (and certainly much better than it was). Spenser's is still much better, but at least that hat is usable now...

Hey Jerry...

I really would like to see what you did with Chaplin's derby. When you have the time please post some pictures. I've been thinking about sanding down the brim of the hat myself.

You're washing machine came out just great! It could use a dent or two in it. I really wish someone would find "Hats Off" in some dusty vault and restore it. Sadly there are probably no surviving copies. I noticed in the shot you posted that Oliver is wearing a normal collar on his shirt that, in itself, is really unusual.

Hey Jim,

Here are some pics of Charlie's adjusted derby...still not as good as Ollie's but now it at least passes...

Here is one with both side by side:

bf5f41d3d4d96336d6cc37d365ddba27.jpg

Then one from underneath. It was hard to get all sides perfectly smooth and symmetrical. I started by taking the scissors and cutting around the outside brim. The plastic started to crack (in kind of weird small pieces) in parts as I went around...

b2386c7eb442fccfcba38290bf27c1f7.jpg

As he wears it, you can't tell as much about the edges...they could still use another sanding and painting, but I'm happy until the replacement comes. I wonder what that will bring..:panic:

4e9b2548df4fab1a7059e4987dc617ff.jpg

And next to the washing machine...

c3c91e6b50f1dd5682126a9c703a6725.jpg

83f4ecfcd3e44ded2f4ef60695487d3c.jpg

Last edited:

There is going to be more of you Laurel and Hardy fans out there posting soon, as I've received several pms on the sculpts and I have forwarded them to Spenser...

I'm having lots of fun with these guys....here they are in "Hats Off" (now if they only could find that movie)!

af65e17eae1f56a87a1410c5ac359e04.jpg

fc94ecde96112400b91920b68fb7bae0.jpg

0a730f778f327c83f284c1a7cec8db7e.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah the Chaplin Derby is better but still a little rough. I hope Kumik will come through with a proper replacement.

Stan and Ollie just keep getting better and better... The gift that keeps on giving. I see Mr. Laurel has a new double breasted suit, it looks great!

I received everything I ordered except for the body for Stan, I expect to get that this week. I was going to start work on Ollie's shirt and tie but my local fabric store is closed until Wednesday for the Jewish Holidays. So midweek the sewing begins. I hope I can find fabrics with a tight enough polka dot pattern for the ties. I'm also thinking about putting a wire in the collar of the shirt so I can make the wing tip collar nice and stiff. I'm also thinking of putting magnets in Stan's tie to avoid using the unsightly snaps. How did you get his bow tie to look so good?

I am so impressed with the L&H sculpts and thrilled that they are available. I'm really enjoying the setups that Geronimo is creating.
I have a special interest in these guys. My Grandfather and his brother worked for Hal Roach in the twenties and thirties as a camera operator and toolmaker. They knew Stan and Babe well and always spoke very highly of them. Especially Babe. Count me in for two sets!!!

Hi George, glad to see you found this thread!

Wow,your grandfather and his brother both worked for Roach Studios. You must have some great stories about the boys that your relatives passed on to you. I'd love to hear some if you have the time.

Have you ever seen the docudrama "Stan" which was made in 2006 by the BBC? The actors playing Laurel and Hardy are actually very good and quite believable in their roles. It is quite touching at times and shows their relationship on and off screen. I really recommend it. You can find it on Youtube. Here is part one if you are interested.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HubxC-Ip8[/ame]

I am so impressed with the L&H sculpts and thrilled that they are available. I'm really enjoying the setups that Geronimo is creating.
I have a special interest in these guys. My Grandfather and his brother worked for Hal Roach in the twenties and thirties as a camera operator and toolmaker. They knew Stan and Babe well and always spoke very highly of them. Especially Babe. Count me in for two sets!!!

Wow, is right! Welcome to the thread Blowtorchbasin...as Junglejom mentioned, if you have some time to post some thoughts or anecdotes on your grandfather's experiences at the Hal Roach Studios, that would really be interesting to hear.
As Junglejom mentioned in a previous post, the sculpts of the boys really ARE like the gift that keeps on giving. At some point, I'd like to pick up some Foreign Legion suits for them, but they are too expensive at the moment...there are so many directions to go with them, and that's part of the fun. The other is that they were not only talented comedians, but their friendship and support of one another really still shines through...

Here's a good story. My Grandfather wanted a car that was big enough to haul his family of eight kids around in. One of the guys on the Roach lot knew of a limousine town car that was for sale at MGM studios. It was used to chauffeur around the movie stars of the day. The car was really used up. Starting problems, leaked oil, etc. My Granddad thought he could fix it, so he went ahead and bought it.
He had it for just a couple of days when Babe asked to borrow the car to go down the road to buy some cigars. My Grandfather said sure and loaned the car to Mr. Hardy. About twenty minutes later the whole Culver City fire department roared past the studio with sirens blazing. Everyone on the lot rushed out to see what was going on. Down the street, they saw smoke coming from a car on fire. My grandfather recognized that it was his Cadillac! He ran to the scene and found poor Babe Hardy standing on the sidewalk out of breath. Babe looked at my Grandfather and said "I tried to throw some dirt on it but it got away from me." The car was destroyed. My Grandfather felt terrible for lending it to Babe. Babe felt bad about what had happened and offered to pay for the car. Granddad declined and nothing more was said about it. A month later Hardy said he was feeling lucky and was going to bet on the ponies. He convinced my Grandfather to give him a couple of bucks to bet for him. He came back the next day and handed $50.00 to my surprised Granddad and said "It was a long shot." My Grandfather found out later that Babe never went to the race track that day. Again, nothing more was said about it.

I really enjoyed reading that story. It really served to humanize one of the great comic icons of the past.

Mr. Hardy comes across as a truly sweet and generous man. I can picture him standing next to the burning car and feeling just terrible about it. A scene like that could easily fit in to one of his films.

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us that great story!

Me too! I really appreciate your post and enjoyed the story as well. What struck me while reading it was that although Laurel and Hardy had a comedic talent that has been recognized, they also had a team at the Hal Roach studios (your grandfather and uncle included - how cool is that!) that helped them to focus on their strengths. When they left Hal Roach, they were never the same...

Anytime you want to post an anecdote or story, please do...they are much appreciated!

That is so true, some of the magic left when they parted ways with Hal Roach.

Back