Chronicle

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Max Landis also did a short called The Death and Return of Superman, sorta like a Funny or Die piece on how that all played out in the comics. It's pretty funny.

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0PlwDbSYicM#!

That was horrible. (but I could only stomach a couple of minutes). I have to re-evaluate my thoughts on Chronicle if it was written by that guy.

And what Andrew did was right?
Spoiler Spoiler:

That was horrible. (but I could only stomach a couple of minutes). I have to re-evaluate my thoughts on Chronicle if it was written by that guy.

And what Andrew did was right?
Spoiler Spoiler:

I personally thought the whole thing was pretty funny in a "reliving historical moments" in the cheapest manner possible sorta way. And it's funny to see Elijah Wood play Hank Henshaw, Mandy Moore as Lois and Simon Pegg as Max's dad, John.

The funny thing is he talks just about as much as his father. John Landis is great though.

Saw it, it was aight, I guess. Definitely not the 9/10 and 9.5/10 rating everyone is giving it :lol

same here. i only thought it was okay. i was looking forward to it with all the hype and glowing reviews but it fell flat for me. i thought the acting was kinda bad. people are praising the kid that played andrew, but i thought he was the worst. he was very reminiscent of hayden christensen as anakin in revenge of the sith with all the whiny screaming. it just came across as very cheesy. there also wasn't much of a plot. i think one of my friends said it best..."there was no plot...it was just events." also, the found footage angle was 100% unnecessary. just a gimmick that did nothing to better the story telling. there's no way a school would let a kid film like that unless it was for a school project. when you have to have another character (the girl) walk around with a camera so you can justify shots of the character she's talking to, then you know it just doesn't make any sense. she was just annoying. who films themselves opening the front door? a totally pointless character. she added nothing. the only positive thing for me was most of the fx. i liked the flying bits.

5/10 for me.

Last edited:
I personally thought the whole thing was pretty funny in a "reliving historical moments" in the cheapest manner possible sorta way. And it's funny to see Elijah Wood play Hank Henshaw, Mandy Moore as Lois and Simon Pegg as Max's dad, John.

The funny thing is he talks just about as much as his father. John Landis is great though.

well for a superman fan it might suck, i get that,

but this made me laugh so much lol, I loved it,

I just came back from it. One the best movies I have seen in a while (though I must admit I'm biased as I like to live vicariously through these sort of films). The use of "found footage" was the best one I have seen yet, the variety of cameras, the fact that Andrew used one to shield himself from the rest of the world, it all stacks up quite well. The real winner of this movie was the "fight scene" at the end though. That was just some much fun to watch! In the end this movie did something that I feel no Superman movie ever came close to doing it... deliver a scene that shows the magnitude of the power of the character. I mean,
Spoiler Spoiler:
It was just a good scene all together man.

I just came back from it. One the best movies I have seen in a while (though I must admit I'm biased as I like to live vicariously through these sort of films). The use of "found footage" was the best one I have seen yet, the variety of cameras, the fact that Andrew used one to shield himself from the rest of the world, it all stacks up quite well. The real winner of this movie was the "fight scene" at the end though. That was just some much fun to watch! In the end this movie did something that I feel no Superman movie ever came close to doing it... deliver a scene that shows the magnitude of the power of the character. I mean,
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'd agree that this is the most creative use of the found footage technique.
Spoiler Spoiler:

My friend's choice to see a movie. I fought for the Grey last night. Tonight the choices are Chronicle or Underworld....

I almost want to see Mission Impossible instead, even though I am bored and sick of sequels. Yes, I know Underworld as well, but Kate Beckinsale in a skin tight PVC body suit I can deal with.

Just saw this tonight and I thought it was a great movie. It had a good combination of humor and action and I really thought the kid that played Andrew did a really great job.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah, but Superman wouldn't do anything to hurt innocent people - Andrew didn't care who he was hurting, so he was able to use his power to it's full extent, not caring what damage he caused along the way.
I quite enjoyed the film and the fight scene really was spectacular to watch, I think they did a great job with it.

Dude I'm seeing a lot of people saying what Andrew did was right. He was pushed to far. What do you guys think

What he did wasn't right , but understandable why he cracked with god like power at his fingertips having the life his character had being told you killed your mom would make anyone a little nuts...., but again far from right.

The buzz is that if the movie does well at the box office, the director could be offered the Fantastic Four reboot....

That, could be a pretty good thing.

Dude I'm seeing a lot of people saying what Andrew did was right. He was pushed to far. What do you guys think

While i wouldn't say that it was right, I will say that it was not unexpected. There are two old sayings, " you play with fire, you get burned", and "you reep what you sow".
Many, MANY younger people have this mentality of "nothing can hurt me, I' gonna do whatever i want" and live that mindset.

Lets look at How andrew lashed out as an allegory for Teen violence in schools/ scholl shootings, etc. In all consideration, are those real world situations that different from how he lashed out at the world?

Aside from the scale, and the superpowers, not, not really.

But then lets look at it from another point of view.

A man with a stick is poking a sleeping animal, such as a bear, or a tiger, or something else capable of doing real harm to him, with a stick.
Lets say that this particular animal is generally very passive, very copacetic most of the time. But he keeps poking it. and annoying it,, and poking and poking and poking. EVENTUALY, that animal is going to have had enough, get up, and attack him. it will also likely kill him.

Do we blame the animal? Some might, but the REALITY of that situation
i the man with the stick brought it upon himself.
Does that make it right?
No.
But it is the logical process of cause to effect.

That, could be a pretty good thing.

While i wouldn't say that it was right, I will say that it was not unexpected. There are two old sayings, " you play with fire, you get burned", and "you reep what you sow".
Many, MANY younger people have this mentality of "nothing can hurt me, I' gonna do whatever i want" and live that mindset.

Lets look at How andrew lashed out as an allegory for Teen violence in schools/ scholl shootings, etc. In all consideration, are those real world situations that different from how he lashed out at the world?

Aside from the scale, and the superpowers, not, not really.

But then lets look at it from another point of view.

A man with a stick is poking a sleeping animal, such as a bear, or a tiger, or something else capable of doing real harm to him, with a stick.
Lets say that this particular animal is generally very passive, very copacetic most of the time. But he keeps poking it. and annoying it,, and poking and poking and poking. EVENTUALY, that animal is going to have had enough, get up, and attack him. it will also likely kill him.

Do we blame the animal? Some might, but the REALITY of that situation
i the man with the stick brought it upon himself.
Does that make it right?
No.
But it is the logical process of cause to effect.

However you can just simplify this by making an analogy comparing humans to animals. We have evolved past this kind of hasty reactions. Humans look at things critically and take in consideration the possible repercussion of their actions. If someone pokes you with a stick you don't simply kill that person, you stop in consider "What should I do", "if I kill him I will go to jail."

Every single person out there evaluates their actions no matter of their social status. King or peasant... all humans do. Sometimes they still lead to poor choices (eg: school shootings as you mentioned above). But you have to take in consideration other factors as well, such as mental health. If someone casually considers taking someones life as the solution for a casual problem, most likely there is something wrong with that person.

Andrew is a different case though. His powers made him cross to place where there are no consequences for an action. He is for all intents and purposes, a god. Nothing can stop him and peoples lives and well being are irrelevant to him, the same way the life of a bug can be irrelevant to a human being.

Ultimately I don't think he was evil. He was simply misguided and suffering from a psychological breakdown due to scope of his power and his troubled past and present. He clearly did not meant to kill Steve and showed remorse in doing so (PS: Andrew was really powerful, he was influencing the weather in that scene. Everything leads me to believe he could control the weather if he choose to do so). You could even argue that all that destruction was mere collateral damage as he crossed to the path of "villainy" in order to help and save his dying mother. He is just a confused bullied boy with the powers of god who went crazy, really.

However you can't just simplify this by making an analogy comparing humans to animals. We have evolved past this kind of hasty reactions. Humans look at things critically and take in consideration the possible repercussion of their actions. If someone pokes you with a stick you don't simply kill that person, you stop in consider "What should I do", "if I kill him I will go to jail."

Every single person out there evaluates their actions no matter of their social status. King or peasant... all humans do. Sometimes they still lead to poor choices (eg: school shootings as you mentioned above). But you have to take in consideration other factors as well, such as mental health. If someone casually considers taking someones life as the solution for a casual problem, most likely there is something wrong with that person.

Andrew is a different case though. His powers made him cross to place where there are no consequences for an action. He is for all intents and purposes, a god. Nothing can stop him and peoples lives and well being are irrelevant to him, the same way the life of a bug can be irrelevant to a human being.

Ultimately I don't think he was evil. He was simply misguided and suffering from a psychological breakdown due to scope of his power and his troubled past and present. He clearly did not meant to kill Steve and showed remorse in doing so (PS: Andrew was really powerful, he was influencing the weather in that scene. Everything leads me to believe he could control the weather if he choose to do so). You could even argue that all that destruction was mere collateral damage as he crossed to the path of "villainy" in order to help and save his dying mother. He is just a confused bullied boy with the powers of god who went crazy, really.

I'd love to believe that too, yet every day I see stupidity that makes that statement suspect. Pointless Hatred, Bigotry, closmindedness, etc.
All of it is just as bad as his reaction to it.
Violence begets violence. Be it physical violence and physical damage, or verbal violence, and emotional damage.

Back