Cboy's first head sculpt repaint...Yikes!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocoboloboy

Coco the Cantankerous
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got inspired by all the cool customs around here so I decided to pick up a few bottles (like twenty:D ) of Apple Barrel paint and some cheap brushes at WallyWorld and give it a go on an old Hasblo Han Solo head.

I'm at the dreaded spot:eek: , at least for me, where I have to do the eyes which make or break a nice paint job IMHO.

I thought I snap a few off before I royaly screw it up so here are some quick pics of the progress so far. At best this try is a confidence booster for me so that if in the future I want to ruin a pricey figure I can make the transition a bit less painfully.:rolleyes:

I forgot to take some before pics so if anyone has this figure and could post some nice shots of his head I would appreciate it.

Nice repaint work, but man I forgot how crazy that head is, the face is sculpted alright, but the overall head, human eyes are halfway between the top and bottom of our heads, and that figure looks like they're almost 3/4 up. Good choice of paints too, cheap, and they have a nice matte finish to them.

Yeah, I have actually always liked this head, but yeah, that lower facial area from the eyes to the chin, are slightly out of scale with the rest of the head. Still, it has a nice smarmy charm of Han in it to me. Good work too Coco! I really like your paintjob on him!

I always seemed to overlook this head due to the weird proprtions it has but your paint job seems to make up for all of that. Very nice work. Can't wait to see the finished product. What Han body/outfit are you going to put it on once your finished?

figuremasterles said:
Yeah, I have actually always liked this head, but yeah, that lower facial area from the eyes to the chin, are slightly out of scale with the rest of the head. Still, it has a nice smarmy charm of Han in it to me. Good work too Coco! I really like your paintjob on him!

Exactly, the various elements to the face are all executed very well, just not in proportion with each other, if they had the proportions right to, it would have looked fabulous, proportions were always a flaw with Hasbro heads in this line.

Nice work on the eyes, my first custom eyes were brutal so you're doing better than me on your first attempt.

I see Han in there, especially in that last pic. I love his smirk, strikes me as kind of an ANH look. Once he has a neck I think the sculpt will look a lot less squinched at the bottom. Freaki'n Hasbro never gave any of their 12 inchers necks, at least not in the POTF days. Great work Cocoboloboy!!!

Next Darren's first effort I would say yours is the best first time repaint I have every seen. Coco maybe headed toward greatness freaks.

CBoy is one of the best customizers here, and I say that because I have a little item of his coming my way, and it's GORGEOUS!!! In about a week you'll all get to see my "mystery project" which will hopefully be really cool!

Wow! Thanks for the comments guys!!! I'm having a blast painting these and any advice is much welcome.

And Captain, "one of the best customizer's":eek: :eek: . hehe I wouldn't go that far but that super secret item that your getting from me did turn out better than I thought it would.:D I'm in the process of making one more.

I thought I'd take on the challenge of TPM Obi. I still have to finish his eyes do a little shading here an there but he's coming along pretty good.

The expression on Lukes face really works when he's behind a half naked Obi-Wan!

Anyway, Looking good, CBB!!

Great job!!! Really, super work.... Loads better than my first human attempt! Seriously, I see great things in your future if you keep working on this. You've certainly got the ability. Love to see more as it comes....keep it up!

DarkArtist81 said:
Great job!!! Really, super work.... Loads better than my first human attempt! Seriously, I see great things in your future if you keep working on this. You've certainly got the ability. Love to see more as it comes....keep it up!

Thanks Josh! The tutorial that you started and all the other tips and pics of your work and other artists here really helped get me started.

Cocoboloboy said:
Thanks Josh! The tutorial that you started and all the other tips and pics of your work and other artists here really helped get me started.

Thanks man.... That's always an added bonus of sharing the techniques... just to see what people do with them when the time comes. Painting is hard to explain sometimes, but we do try to do it when we can. So if you ever need any help or tips.... you can count on me to help you out.

I was there once. It's not easy when you are self taught with NO painting experience of any kind. It takes time, patience and lots and lots of mistakes to get to where you want to be. Almost like training to become a Jedi.... but stick with it and you can do anything...:lightsabe

DarkArtist81 said:
Thanks man.... That's always an added bonus of sharing the techniques... just to see what people do with them when the time comes. Painting is hard to explain sometimes, but we do try to do it when we can. So if you ever need any help or tips.... you can count on me to help you out.

I was there once. It's not easy when you are self taught with NO painting experience of any kind. It takes time, patience and lots and lots of mistakes to get to where you want to be. Almost like training to become a Jedi.... but stick with it and you can do anything...:lightsabe

I'm sure I'll be taking you up on the tips offer DA. Thanks! Always love looking at your
work.:cool: :rock

Here he is with his eyes freshly done. Now I need to apply the gloss coat to them and get some clothes on nekid Obi.:D

FINISHED!!!!

Last edited:
A couple more and just to let everyone know, I did end up taking about 1/8th of an inch off the neck. It looked a bit long to me.:D

looks really great coco.... glad you took the nexk down, the ones i've seen do all look a bit tall on that body. Well done you :bow

Back