Campaign for Sideshow Serenity/Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I watch things like that it actually frustrates me because I am reminded that the best show in the world has only 14 episodes and a follow up movie.

:(

First off, I am a newb on the forums so I have no idea who Trevor is and someone mentioned "tonner"? No idea what that is either. I apologize for my newbness. I assume Trevor is a sculptor working firefly character heads? I did see some of those in a different thread that looks absolutely amazing. What I do know is that I am in the same boat as you guys and would KILL for some firefly maquettes! PFs would be INSANE!! I am a 3D artist and I have already decided that I am going to try and sculpt my very own Mal maquette in ZBrush and have it 3D printed. It will probably take me forever since I will noodle the sculpt to look exactly like Nathan Fillion and then cost me a fortune to get a really good decent sized 3D print but it will be worth it when it is sitting on my desk :) Wish me luck!

First off, I am a newb on the forums so I have no idea who Trevor is and someone mentioned "tonner"? No idea what that is either. I apologize for my newbness. I assume Trevor is a sculptor working firefly character heads? I did see some of those in a different thread that looks absolutely amazing. What I do know is that I am in the same boat as you guys and would KILL for some firefly maquettes! PFs would be INSANE!! I am a 3D artist and I have already decided that I am going to try and sculpt my very own Mal maquette in ZBrush and have it 3D printed. It will probably take me forever since I will noodle the sculpt to look exactly like Nathan Fillion and then cost me a fortune to get a really good decent sized 3D print but it will be worth it when it is sitting on my desk :) Wish me luck!

Yes, Trevor is sculpting some Firefly 1/6th scale heads, he is also a sculptor that works for Sideshow (of the many things he's done is the Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark Premium Format Figure).

Tonner is a company that makes dolls and are often criticized by making things inaccurate and making male characters look like women.

Be sure to keep us up to date on a Mal sculpt, I'm sure everyone here is interested. And if you're interested in 3D printing, check out Ownage, they have great pricing and have facilities that can both do the 3D printing, plus painting, and they can do castings.

As AWESOME as Trev's sculps are, I would love to see sideshow tackle the line in full, so we could getexpertly made outfits and weapons ( or dinosaurs for wash) and not have to piece them together.

But i'll take what I can get. suggestions for Mal's gun?

Heh. fun fact. i just watched firefly for the first time last week.

As AWESOME as Trev's sculps are, I would love to see sideshow tackle the line in full, so we could getexpertly made outfits and weapons ( or dinosaurs for wash) and not have to piece them together.

Mal's Rig: https://stevostoys.com/OTHER_ERA_HOLLYWOOD.htm

The thing with these are..it's so expensive. Not that figures from ssc would be any cheaper. But it's not easy also and a lot of the parts we pay for are more expensive then the head (which is the best part) and the body. So, if we had it all wrapped up that would make it easier.

You guys realize that if Sideshow got the licence Trevor would not be able to offer us any more sculpts from the show? So I'd rather they didn't, because even if they did 12" figures they would never complete the line or instead of 12" stuff they would offer us PFs or maquettes, which I have no interest in, and never finish those either.

You guys realize that if Sideshow got the licence Trevor would not be able to offer us any more sculpts from the show? So I'd rather they didn't, because even if they did 12" figures they would never complete the line or instead of 12" stuff they would offer us PFs or maquettes, which I have no interest in, and never finish those either.

I wouldn't want to lose out on Trevor's sculpts. I said it would be easier, not better. :)

But I wont lie, I want PF's!

I'd be down if they managed to get the license AFTER Trev finishes out his run. That way we can just pop the heads, hehe.

Is it just me that finds the bash half the fun? I enjoy searching for the best available pieces to complete a figure. Getting a great sculptor, Trev, and a great painter, Josh, and putting their work of art on a figure that I feel is the best I could put together is so much more satisfying than giving HT $190.00 for a mass produced item. I end up with a "One of a kind" work of art, not a 1 of 10,000 cookie cutter figure.

Old Grandpa

It is kind of fun to put the characters together yourself, but I'd much rather that a company like Sideshow do it so we could get more accurate clothing that fits better, accurate boots and such. Plus it'd be cheaper.

Looking at all the stuff it costs to make a Mal figure:
Head sculpt: $35
New TT Body: $40
Clothing from SMCG: $60
Stevo's Rig: $30
Boots: $15

Total: $180--not counting how much it might cost to get it painted. And besides the head the rest probably isn't as good as what Sideshow could do.

And then a PF would be even better.

It is kind of fun to put the characters together yourself, but I'd much rather that a company like Sideshow do it so we could get more accurate clothing that fits better, accurate boots and such. Plus it'd be cheaper.

Looking at all the stuff it costs to make a Mal figure:
Head sculpt: $35
New TT Body: $40
Clothing from SMCG: $60
Stevo's Rig: $30
Boots: $15

Total: $180--not counting how much it might cost to get it painted. And besides the head the rest probably isn't as good as what Sideshow could do.

And then a PF would be even better.

I am completely with you. It's just so expensive! But nothing can compare to Trevor. Had they went ahead and did figures and used his as the sculptor, that would have been great. we are lucky to have him, he's the only one who cares enough. But I am just having a hard time with spending a lot to get them together. I have been lucky with help from my bestie Anzik. But other than that, I'd be in trouble.

I am completely with you. It's just so expensive! But nothing can compare to Trevor. Had they went ahead and did figures and used his as the sculptor, that would have been great. we are lucky to have him, he's the only one who cares enough. But I am just having a hard time with spending a lot to get them together. I have been lucky with help from my bestie Anzik. But other than that, I'd be in trouble.

Yeah, I think Mal will probably be the only one I actually put together, I'll probably paint the other heads but that's it.

And if Sideshow got the license, I bet they could get Trevor some great photo references, sometimes it's hard to find good references off the internet.

After Trevor finishes the entire crew, then SSC can pursue the license. I collected Highlander, they didn't finish.
I collected Buffy, they didn't finish.
I collected Angel, they barely started.
I would rather have a complete set that I have to bash and create than half a set.

And I'm with OG here too, in that assembling the other stuff is a lot of fun. I've been more inspired to do stuff because of Trevor's work than I have in a long, long time.

its all too hard for me and i feel like a tool asking others for help. i feel like i have to be 100% committed to put it together myself, and recently thats been to much to ask of myself. i have about 10 incomplete figures sitting around.

put in me in the list of people that would rather just buy a complete figure.

Back