C3PO Hasbro 12" from Tales of The Golden Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSD

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone have any decent picures of this 12" figure which came with the book? Only I've had what I think is a decent offer to buy one, and I couldn't find any decent, detailed shots.

I'm really waiting for the Medicom version, but this is quite cheap!

Here you go... height is ok..but its too big when compared to 12"...

3CPO_01.jpg

3CPO_02.jpg

3CPO_03.jpg

3CPO_04.jpg

3CPO_05.jpg

3CPO_06.jpg

3CPO_07.jpg

It's really not any different from the normal Hasbro one except that it comes apart and has slightly different decoration. I wouldn't spend too much on it, but it works until something better comes along.

Thanks for the photos. It looks pretty good, but I think I'll wait for The Medicom version. I've only just started collecting, so ideally I'd like to keep to the same range.

I own that one and like it, I wish he was a bit shorter though, and didnt have all those screw holes in his back.

I will likely not get Medicoms as it seems to not be plated in gold and silver, just painted, and in my opinion that is just terrible looking and kind of irritating for a figure that's gonna cost so much. It also looks like there will not be a whole lot more articulation, seem like a ball joint in neck, rotation at wrists and a bit more bend at waist is all the added.

Also seems shorter and in good scale to normal Medicoms but I would be concerned with how he looks next to a real 1/6 scale figure, since Medicoms are always a bit small.

The R2-D2 on the other hand looks good, again there could be a scale issue for some people, but then again it doesn't look to be any better than a Hasbro R2 that's slightly modded by adding the tubes at the feet and a repaint.

The thing I like about Medicom figures is the way they hang. They have a very natural look to them that makes posing them a joy.

I haven't seen the finish to the Medicom one yet, haven't they only shown unpainted mock-ups so far?

The body looks OKish but, that head has to go..yuck! worse then even the animated series look.

heres the link to Sideshows article on their site about this
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=7084

r2c3po-image01.jpg

If the scale is good and not too small, and he gets gold and silver plated Ill want one for certain as he's got some nice detailing. If not Ill wait and hope Side show does better, if they ever get to them that is with all the money there making on Clone and Storm Trooper variations. :banghead

I also dug up what some one posted from Sideshow on the other thread.

Here's what SS has to say about that:

Q: I just saw Medicom’s new RAH R2-D2 and C-3PO. They’re awesome, but I want to know if I should order them or wait to see the Sideshow versions? Are you going to make the droids in 1:6 scale?

A: Medicom’s Artoo and Threepio are very, very cool! We’re excited about them too!

We have great respect and admiration for Medicom’s RAH Star Wars line. They bring their own unique style and flair to every product, and we believe that Sideshow and Medicom sixth scale Star Wars products are wonderfully complementary. The two lines do have a slight scale difference (Sideshow standard male bodies being slightly taller than Medicom), but we have witnessed wonderful collections that include figures from both lines.

Sideshow and Medicom do share information about our line planning, in part to avoid releasing the same characters at the same time. This also helps us to differentiate our products - we do look for ways to provide something unique in our products, as does Medicom. For example, Medicom has released their Ep 3 and Ep 6 Darth Vaders, contributing greatly to Sideshow’s choice to focus on the Ep 4 version of Darth Vader. While Sideshow is currently in development on the droids for 1:4 scale, they are not currently in development as 1:6 scale - in great part because we believe strongly in the quality of the Medicom figures. It is possible Sideshow will develop the droids in the future, but they do not appear in our 2009 or 2010 planning.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want the droids in your 12" collection, I would get these now or be prepared to wait several years for a preorder, then another year or so before they start shipping.

I also just noticed R2 is way to small in relation to C3PO.

Last edited:
I think they look great, although it's confusing that they appear to be posed with two Sideshow Stormies in that shot.

But yes, Threepio needs to be more metallic.

As I said in the medicom droids thread, they claim that he will be chromed. I'm not positive what exactly that means. I'm hoping that they just used a painted version above for the prototype, and that the actual thing will be a lot shinier.

Seems to me the article that mentioned having chrome plating on him may be older than the painted version pics weve seen, anyhow since there have been no pictures of a chromed one yet you can only hope they havent scraped the idea.

I will patiently wait for the Sideshow renditions of the droids, whenever that may be.

Medicoms, are way off, unfortunately.

The Hasbro C3PO is too big but on the other hand, I've got my R2 displayed along with my other SW figs and he looks fine.

You can really tell by looking at icruise's signature. R2's head should come up to 3PO's chestplate.

sig3.jpg

The RD in the signature is standing straight up and has the foot wheels. The Medicom prototype is not showing the height adjustment for the wheels and is not standing straight up. I don't think those two things will make up 100% of the height disparity, but I bet it makes up a lot of it.

Anyway...enough for me to dig on them both.

I have the TOTGD C-3PO as well. But I would never display it with my Sideshow figures.

The RD in the signature is standing straight up and has the foot wheels. The Medicom prototype is not showing the height adjustment for the wheels and is not standing straight up. I don't think those two things will make up 100% of the height disparity, but I bet it makes up a lot of it..

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Just add in those wheels and it's perfect. ;)

medicom_r2_tires.jpg

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Just add in those wheels and it's perfect. ;)

medicom_r2_tires.jpg

I actually laughed out loud. THat's funny!!! The medicoms look like they have the same height desparity as the old Hasbro 12 inch droids - it's too bad. I'm not paying two to three hundred $$$$ for obviously better looking figures but still with the same scale issues that are present in my 13 year old Hasbro figures. If R2 can't stand next to any other figure I own without looking like he's being dwarfed what's the point?

Well, we do know that SS will be producing the droids in 1/6th scale soon, so I'm all for waiting it out. Especially with how small these Medi ones look to me. The Hasbro R2s are decent stand-ins in the meantime, but that just makes me want a 3po all the more. :(

Well, we do know that SS will be producing the droids in 1/6th scale soon, so I'm all for waiting it out. Especially with how small these Medi ones look to me. The Hasbro R2s are decent stand-ins in the meantime, but that just makes me want a 3po all the more. :(

Wait, DO we know this for certain? From the question and answer from Sideshow quoted earlier (and below) it seems like they aren't pursuing R2 and 3P0:

Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post
Here's what SS has to say about that:

Q: I just saw Medicom’s new RAH R2-D2 and C-3PO. They’re awesome, but I want to know if I should order them or wait to see the Sideshow versions? Are you going to make the droids in 1:6 scale?

A: Medicom’s Artoo and Threepio are very, very cool! We’re excited about them too!

We have great respect and admiration for Medicom’s RAH Star Wars line. They bring their own unique style and flair to every product, and we believe that Sideshow and Medicom sixth scale Star Wars products are wonderfully complementary. The two lines do have a slight scale difference (Sideshow standard male bodies being slightly taller than Medicom), but we have witnessed wonderful collections that include figures from both lines.

Sideshow and Medicom do share information about our line planning, in part to avoid releasing the same characters at the same time. This also helps us to differentiate our products - we do look for ways to provide something unique in our products, as does Medicom. For example, Medicom has released their Ep 3 and Ep 6 Darth Vaders, contributing greatly to Sideshow’s choice to focus on the Ep 4 version of Darth Vader. While Sideshow is currently in development on the droids for 1:4 scale, they are not currently in development as 1:6 scale - in great part because we believe strongly in the quality of the Medicom figures. It is possible Sideshow will develop the droids in the future, but they do not appear in our 2009 or 2010 planning.

For me, these aren't the droids I'm looking for. Well, 3PO looks ok, but as I've said in the other thread on these Medicom figures, unless they make R2 the Monster Truck edition he's way too short.

Sean

Back