Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some rechecking of Apone's ballcap and took a few pics off the TV screen for anyone who's interested. I think the caps that Apone, Hudson, and Spunkmeyer wore on board the Sulaco were just regular ballcaps, not the military ones I mentioned before. They all had those adjustable plastic straps on the back, which you can see on Hudson's cap in the scene where he says, "How do I get outta this chicken**** outfit?" :D

Ballcap1.jpg

* In this pic you can see the Sulaco patch is off center and looks like it was sewn over something already embroidered on the cap, which is just visible under the patch. There's also a little label/sticker on the bill.
Ballcap3.jpg

Ballcap4.jpg

Ballcap5.jpg

Lt. Gorman's cap does resemble the OG Hot Weather cap, but the peak is higher and looks like it has a stiffener in it, so it may have been custom made for the movie. It is a fitted cap, not adjustable like the others.

P1010019-3.jpg

CapBDU.jpg

You got some eye for detail i must say.

Just one thing to add to the list for Apone; just the number of belt-tools (the tool that came with the Drake and Vasquez figures) that he has. This is the small tool that Hicks and Hudson wear on their belts.
I lost count. Apone has one above the grade loops on his webbing, on his left side (opposite the side that has the VP70 pistol); plus at least four on his belt.
The location of them, plus the location of the belt pouches, seem to change location scene to scene when the marines first enter the complex.

Just one thing to add to the list for Apone; just the number of belt-tools (the tool that came with the Drake and Vasquez figures) that he has. This is the small tool that Hicks and Hudson wear on their belts.
I lost count. Apone has one above the grade loops on his webbing, on his left side (opposite the side that has the VP70 pistol); plus at least four on his belt.
The location of them, plus the location of the belt pouches, seem to change location scene to scene when the marines first enter the complex.

Ok thats something that i never saw.
That reminds me,
In predator B-sole one moment he is walking around with that shotgun under his M16, the next its gone .:banghead
or Terminator 2 in the bike truck scene when the truck hits the ground The widows fal out next sex there back in again.
Not to talk about the stuntdrivers head when he drives an escape,s between the wall and the truck
Look at that head its f#*king funny Man.
Dont get me wrong guys i love that movie.
Now lets get back to aliens.

Regarding the "belt clip" gizmos some of the marines wore on their belts, and which Hot Toys saw fit to include with a couple of the figures... They look very much like the DV9 batteries for the M56 Smart Guns. In fact they were contrived from the same basic gadget. In the section describing the M41-A Pulse Rifle, the Aliens Colonial Marines Tech Manual says the following:

"Electrical power for the gun's motor mechanism is provided by a Lithium battery in the carrying handle. This battery is good for 10,000 rounds and can be recharged either from a rifle rack or a portable power clip".

It seems logical that the so-called "belt clips" were in fact the portable power clips for the PRs, especially since they so closely resemble the SG's DV9 battery. It could explain why Apone was seen carrying a few "spares" during the breach and sweep of the complex.

I think one per marine would be sufficient, though, especially since the pieces in question are rather hard to come by now.

So I was recently going through some websites looking for pieces for my ALIENS Marines and other projects, when I cam upon something that I think makes a fairly good-looking piece for Hudson's electronic bypass tech pouch.

It's a pouch from Dragon Korean War Sam figure!
Take a look:
https://www.war-toys.com/images/products/SamKoreanWar/pouch.jpg

Yes, it does have a large US on the front, but I'm sure that can easily be removed or painted over

Because it's from a Korean-era soldier and has the triangular flap front, I wonder if it might have been used for the prop?

Thoughts?

So I was recently going through some websites looking for pieces for my ALIENS Marines and other projects, when I cam upon something that I think makes a fairly good-looking piece for Hudson's electronic bypass tech pouch.

It's a pouch from Dragon Korean War Sam figure!
Take a look:
https://www.war-toys.com/images/products/SamKoreanWar/pouch.jpg

Yes, it does have a large US on the front, but I'm sure that can easily be removed or painted over

Because it's from a Korean-era soldier and has the triangular flap front, I wonder if it might have been used for the prop?

Thoughts?
Yeah i think that will do fine.

Not as far as I know. I was on the list for the Howes head sculpt project that didn't happen, but haven't heard if anyone else has come forward yet to fill the void. I think quite a few people still want Gorman, myself included.

Ive found a head that sort of kinda looks like gorman,If you squint your eyes and are half asleep:lol
but I think it fits with the line since most of the headsculpts dont look like the person anyway.:duh
The hardest thing,other than a headsculpt that Im trying to find is the jacket that he wears.Its the jacket that hot toys uses for the rambo they bought out.And so far cant find anyone that want to part with it.Of all the vietnam era clothing that has been made this jacket,which is the m-something cant rember the actual make,seems to be the only thing that hasnt been produced:confused:

Last edited:
My custom hudson.Almost finished just need to weather his armor.Used a spare Hicks armor I had.cut off the pad lock,painted over the heart and added the skull and "louise" by hand.Still have the pad lock if anyone needs it for a custom hicks.

Ive found a head that sort of kinda looks like gorman,If you squint your eyes and are half asleep:lol
but I think it fits with the line since most of the headsculpts dont look like the person anyway.:duh
The hardest thing,other than a headsculpt that Im trying to find is the jacket that he wears.Its the jacket that hot toys uses for the rambo they bought out.And so far cant find anyone that want to part with it.Of all the vietnam era clothing that has been made this jacket,which is the m-something cant rember the actual make,seems to be the only thing that hasnt been produced:confused:

Thats not true man., :sick
If painted correctly they do look like them.
Only thing is that the original HT Hudson has got a hicks head.
And the original hicks head is the one the also used for kyle reese.
If you keep the helmet on then you could use it for hicks.
If they where released now, they would have bin more accurate.
Ripley could use a little face work. but you could use that awesome resculpt from darren carnall .

What figure is that head from? I think it does kinda look like the Gorman.

Thats not true man., :sick
If painted correctly they do look like them.
Only thing is that the original HT Hudson has got a hicks head.
And the original hicks head is the one the also used for kyle reese.
If you keep the helmet on then you could use it for hicks.
If they where released now, they would have bin more accurate.
Ripley could use a little face work. but you could use that awesome resculpt from darren carnall .

your right about my skin tones,they do look a little pale.When i said they dont look like the actor I meant with theyre current paint jobs:D
I dont really like darrens ripley,her jaw seems a little too wide,but thats just my opinion,everything else he does is awesome,I think his T2 head look better than the one about to be released by ht.
do you happen to know any good painting tutorials that dont use pastels

That head does have the right expression and haircut for Gorman, but it doesn't really look like William Hope all that much, unfortunately. Still, it's better than nothing I suppose. I hope we'll be able to get our hands on a definitive Gorman sculpt sometime in the not too distant future, tho. One of the reliable sculptors on this board is bound to take an interest in the idea sooner or later.

Btw, the Rambo field jacket was the M65 in olive green. I also missed the boat snagging one loose while they were available, and I didn't happen to buy that version of Rambo either. Bummer. Many of the costumes in Aliens (maybe all of them) appear to have been made especially for the film, even though many were based on existing military clothing. I think that may have been the case with Gorman's jacket, too.

There are tiny differences between Gorman's field jacket and a genuine Army issue M65 from the same era, such as the collar details, which can be seen when he's at the controls of the APC. The scenes where he's wearing it are so brief that it's hard to get a really good look at it, anyway.

So HT Rambo's M65 jacket is probably the closest thing to it (without having to make one from scratch)... IF you can find one, that is. :(

I'm using the new HT truetype head (in the middle) for my Gorman custom:
DSC04777.jpg

With a bandage around his head and the right costume I think he'll look pretty close to accurate.

I don't see the Prison Break guy as Gorman, and I'm still squinting at dano's head but haven't been able to see it yet. And, yes, I am half asleep. :lol

There was a Power Team sculpt that was Gorman-esque, but I don't know which set it came with.

I don't see the Prison Break guy as Gorman, and I'm still squinting at dano's head but haven't been able to see it yet. And, yes, I am half asleep. :lol

There was a Power Team sculpt that was Gorman-esque, but I don't know which set it came with.

I never said it was a perfect gorman:D
But its definently better than no head at all.Im surprised no one has done him yet as a sculpt

I never said it was a perfect gorman:D
But its definently better than no head at all.Im surprised no one has done him yet as a sculpt

After the first two waves of Aliens CMs were released there was hope that HT would make another wave of figures, including Lt. Gorman. When that didn't happen there was a sculptor on the board who was going to make a Gorman head, but that too fell through. Never even got off the ground as far as I know. The interest thread still exists, so it's possible it will still happen, as soon as another sculptor offers to make one.

Back