Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think buying a Vasquez head on it's own, let alone re-painted, will be very hard to come by. You're better off painting your existing one.

I typed in Marines and I found it in the second or third page.
Thats really weird cos I still cant find it like that when I do a search in this section useing advanced search but I did just find it now useing regular search . :confused::confused:

OK, so I just managed to finish going through all SIXTY-NINE pages of this thread (slow week at work) and think I have a couple of questions to ask that won't be asking to repeat much.

-I've loved the photo references on the proper pack out on Hudson and Hicks' belt gear, but never saw anything like that done for Apone (nor Vasquez and Drake). I don't think he's geared up fully right, so anybody got pics for visual learners like me?

-Along those lines, maybe a list of what equipment that comes with each figure is inappropriate for the character (i.e. Drake comes with PDT Locator tube)

-I know there's a lot of great costume continuity shots in the (inappropriately named) Quadrilogy but besides Harry Harris' site (whick I need to ransack for images for custom Gorman, Ferro and Deitrich), has anyone got any suggestions for good gear images (especially from the rear) of the rest of the Marines?

-I happened to be looking at my 11" x 14" ALIENS lobby cards and saw that Wierzbowski (I think) has grenades tipped YELLOW?! I saw someone did a custom with the yellow tipped grenades. Anyone know what that might be-fictionally of course?

Thanks to all who've posted wisdom, knowledge and, most importantly, inspiration into making us make the most accurate Colonial Marines we can!

I SOOOO need to get me a Hicks without going into debt!

OK, so I just managed to finish going through all SIXTY-NINE pages of this thread (slow week at work) and think I have a couple of questions to ask that won't be asking to repeat much.

-I've loved the photo references on the proper pack out on Hudson and Hicks' belt gear, but never saw anything like that done for Apone (nor Vasquez and Drake). I don't think he's geared up fully right, so anybody got pics for visual learners like me?

-Along those lines, maybe a list of what equipment that comes with each figure is inappropriate for the character (i.e. Drake comes with PDT Locator tube)

-I know there's a lot of great costume continuity shots in the (inappropriately named) Quadrilogy but besides Harry Harris' site (whick I need to ransack for images for custom Gorman, Ferro and Deitrich), has anyone got any suggestions for good gear images (especially from the rear) of the rest of the Marines?

-I happened to be looking at my 11" x 14" ALIENS lobby cards and saw that Wierzbowski (I think) has grenades tipped YELLOW?! I saw someone did a custom with the yellow tipped grenades. Anyone know what that might be-fictionally of course?

Thanks to all who've posted wisdom, knowledge and, most importantly, inspiration into making us make the most accurate Colonial Marines we can!

I SOOOO need to get me a Hicks without going into debt!

I have to admit I haven't had the time to go back thru all the posts in this thread in quite somne time but:
If you are customizing your Marines anyway you may want to consider what I did. I grabbed an extra Apone (the Hicks were already sold out :( ) then I repainted his armor to look like Hicks' and then use a custom head. I'd post a pic but right now I don't have his head yet. But when it comes in I can show you.
Is there a link for Harris' site? I think I may be headed in there while I wait for my Apes to arrive. :monkey5

Regarding grenade rounds, this is right out of the USCM Tech Manual:

Red cap - M40 High Explosive (HE) round
Green cap - M38 High Explosive Armour Piercing (HEAP) round
Blue cap - M51A Bounding Fragmentation round
Black nose - M108 Canister (buckshot) round ... (for close encounters)
White cap - M60 White Phosphorus Incendiary round

Frost can clearly be seen carrying a few rounds other than the red-capped HE rounds that most of the marines carried. I don't recall there being any yellow-capped grenades, however. It's likely they were incendiary rounds that looked yellowish under the poor lighting conditions. Hope this helped.

Last edited:
I think buying a Vasquez head on it's own, let alone re-painted, will be very hard to come by. You're better off painting your existing one.

wish i could paint :monkey2
i dont have vasquez, i would only get her if i could be sure to get a good head bc i hate it without the likeness. Have any non-artist people tried painting her? is it hard?

wish i could paint :monkey2 i dont have vasquez, i would only get her if i could be sure to get a good head bc i hate it without the likeness. Have any non-artist people tried painting her? is it hard?
No she's easy. I'm not an expert painter at all. On my one I just darkened the skin (on her head, arms and chest) and used some flesh ink on it and then blackened the rim of her eyes as if I was putting mascara on her and did the same for her eyebrows. I also painted her eyes brown and hair black. See my photos thread in my sig for more:

Aliensguests077.jpg
Vasquez006.jpg

Aliensguests078.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought myself that BBi G3 whatever body with the Bill Paxton head, gonna be interesting to see how much of Bill is in that sculpt.
Yeah, I bought it too. I already have Hudson though so will put an Apone head on the body and keep his sleeves rolled down and eventually buy new black hands or paint over them.

Yeah, I bought it too. I already have Hudson though so will put an Apone head on the body and keep his sleeves rolled down and eventually buy new black hands or paint over them.

Hmm well you would still need to get some accurate patches as these are just plain BDU's with nothing on them, I have 2 pair of those too.

Its pretty good. I sent one of them to Les a while ago and he converted them into a very decent Hudson.

Yeah I have seen that repaint a few times and I quite like it, probably gonna be sending it off too as the way it is painted now does not look very good.

Hmm well you would still need to get some accurate patches as these are just plain BDU's with nothing on them, I have 2 pair of those too.
I dont think I'll bother with that - I'm not anal about accuracy. :lol

Back