Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this already announced or was that Blockbuster?

Really, it's not much of a move, there's not that many people that use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray so something like this isn't nearly as big as Warner's deal.

And believe me, Warner's definitely not switching back. But I wouldn't expect Paramount/Dreamworks and Universal to switch very soon. (not saying that there's a chance for HD-DVD to win (because there isn't) but it's not going away as soon as we thought).

Yeah, Blockbuster already is Blu Exclusive.

No, they are not. I received Elizabeth The Golden Age on HD-DVD from Blockbuster Online last week (don't ask LOL ... I have both services because Netflix tends to carry more of the TV and anime I want) a new release on HD-DVD. They have stopped stocking HD-DVD at most stores, but, as of now, they still carry the big releases ... especially at their Online distribution service. However, I can see them following Netflix's lead very soon.

No, they are not. I received Elizabeth The Golden Age on HD-DVD from Blockbuster Online last week (don't ask LOL ... I have both services because Netflix tends to carry more of the TV and anime I want) a new release on HD-DVD. They have stopped stocking HD-DVD at most stores, but, as of now, they still carry the big releases ... especially at their Online distribution service. However, I can see them following Netflix's lead very soon.

Actually, yes they are. Their online service still has some HD-DVD titles, but the stores that rent High Def discs are Blu-ray only.

I will be getting my Blu-ray Player on March 19th! I cannot wait. At World's End will be my 1st BR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

netflix still has HD DVD.

But not for long. They won't be getting any new movies coming out in HD and will be getting rid of the titles they have.

Let's all be honest with each other here, how much $$$ did Sony through their way to get them to go BR only?

netflix still has HD DVD.

Here's the email I got from Netflix earlier today:

We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Allan,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

I totally understand the trned towards Blu-ray, but this statement doesn't make sense to me:

In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

They currently offer 100% of all high def releases. How does reducing that to only 70% help them to provide the best selection?

:confused:

They could offer several good reasons for the switch to Blu-ray exclusivity, but the one they have chosen makes little sense to me.

I still think this is pretty messed up... For those of us who have gotten the players and have some of the movies... it really sucks. God I hate format wars, they SUCK SUCK SUCK. :monkey4

Now I have to get a freakin PS3. :emperor

Hey, I am just stating the obvious here... It was hard enough to dump $120 into a HD DVD player... No freakin way I can dump $600 into a PS3. Guess it's back to standard DVD.

At least it is finally decided, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

But not for long. They won't be getting any new movies coming out in HD and will be getting rid of the titles they have.

Let's all be honest with each other here, how much $$$ did Sony through their way to get them to go BR only?

For real, at the end of the day every business decision is made based on money. I am sure Sony paid off Netflix to make this move. Even their response in the email they sent me makes no sense- In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

If you wanted to provide me with the best selection you would continue to offer both formats. This bull **** move makes me want to cancel my Netflix subscription. What a bunch of sellouts. That line would better read, "In order for us to get as much money as possible we have decided to accept a large sum of money from the the Sony camp which effectively screws you, the consumer, by offering you less service than you had before for the same price. Sorry about the inconvenience but we don't really care regardless because our pockets are now fuller."

Hey, I am just stating the obvious here... It was hard enough to dump $120 into a HD DVD player... No freakin way I can dump $600 into a PS3. Guess it's back to standard DVD.

At least it is finally decided, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

We'll see what's decided. In the end it's which company has the most money and can fool the most people into believing their format is superior. Next month we might see HD DVD on top again. All they have to do is pay Netflix and Blockbuster to go exclusively their format and then this whole crapfest will start all over.

I'll just keep buying the discs and do my part... At least I have the damn player and can watch them. So maybe my dollars will help at least a fraction... :lol

Back