Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're just not getting it. Funny is like this:

picture2xe0.png

Not funny is like this:

picture3ev1.png

No. We're saying that would pretty much be hilarious to some of us. :lol

Wouldn't that be funny if they tricked everyone and Universal, Paramount/Dreamworks stayed HD-DVD exclusive and Cloverfield, Sweeney Todd, Hellboy II, Iron Man, and Star Trek (reaching there) were all HD-DVD exclusives?

Sure would:rotfl

Universal - STILL HD Only! Full Interview

Interview with Universal's Ken Graffeo on HD DVD
FIRST ONLINE Jan 22, 2008

BetaNews.com just interviewed Universal EVP Ken Graffeo which says HD DVD is here to stay.
In the interview he makes it clear that despite Warner's decision to go Blu it is bussiness as usual for HD DVD and Universal supporting that format exclusively.
"First of all, I want to say that none of those rumors were substantiated. Nobody ever talked to us. I know nobody talked to Paramount because Brenda, their PR person, sent out a statement immediately. This is business as usual for us and there are no plans to make any changes. We just made an announcement of our new HD DVD titles yesterday, with American Gangster. We also have a lot of other things planned. It's business as usual."

Last edited:
I guess whoever said Best Buy was moving on from HD DVD is wrong according to an article on Hi Def Digest.

According to a new Video Business report, some retail chains have begun adjusting their high-def shelf space to make more room for Blu-ray discs (and less for HD DVD).

The industry trade says that Trans World Entertainment, Newbury Comics, Video Buyers Group members and Hastings Entertainment are among the retailers beginning to emphasize Blu-ray in the wake of Warner's announcement that it would abandon its support of the HD DVD format as of this coming June.
ADVERTISEMENT

Trans World, which operates over 800 stores under several brand names (including FYE, Suncoast, Coconouts and Wherehouse), says that though it will continue to order key new releases on HD DVD, it will begin dedicating more shelf space to Blu-ray, both for new releases and catalog titles.

"As retailers, we need to simplify things for the consumers as much as we can with merchandising one format," said Trans World VP Mark Higgins. "We don’t want to be biased, but it is clearly the direction that high-def production looks to be going."

Other retailers (including Best Buy, Amazon.com, DVDEmpire.com) said they had no current plans to adjust their merchandise mix.

"Obviously, Warner’s announcement has made us a little more cautious about how many HD DVDs we bring in," DVDEmpire's Shannon Nutt told Video Business. "But that’s not going to stop us from stocking strong on what we feel will be solid HD DVD releases, like the upcoming Bee Movie. Although it looks like the writing may be on the wall, DVDEmpire will continue to push both formats equally until our customers show there is no longer any demand for one format or the other."

That's huge and ****ty news. One of the main reasons I jumped into HD/BR early was the fact that Netflix had many movies in those formats.

Well, the good news is that they will probably have a better Blu-ray selection as a result, since the money previously spent on HD DVDs will most likely now be spent on more copies of BDs. That's a good thing, wouldn't you think?

Well, the good news is that they will probably have a better Blu-ray selection as a result, since the money previously spent on HD DVDs will most likely now be spent on more copies of BDs. That's a good thing, wouldn't you think?

Hell yeah, especially since half of my Blu-ray discs on Netflix are on VERY LONG wait

What the HD camp doesn't understand is that ALL of these companies are going blu, they are still clinging to the fact that Universal, Paramount and Dreamworks are still HD exclusive.

I'll say it again, Warner Bro's was singing the same tune, "we're staying with HD-DVD". A couple of months later here they are Blu exclusive, it's only a matter of time now.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That is hilarious!

Boy, it looks like either the BDA managed to score a bunch of new "incentive" partners (for those who subscribe to the "payoff" conspiracy theories ;)), or else the industry is really beginning to see the writing on the wall. Netflix, Imation and Best Buy all announcing major Blu-ray support on the same day. I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

I received the following e-mail from Netflixs today:
We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Wayman,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

I have both, so it's no bother either way. But, Netflix is a huge player in the online arena. Could Blockbuster Online be that far away from a similar announcement? Not sure where the Fat Lady is, but someone might want to let her know her solo is imminent.

I received the following e-mail from Netflixs today:
We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Wayman,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

I have both, so it's no bother either way. But, Netflix is a huge player in the online arena. Could Blockbuster Online be that far away from a similar announcement? Not sure where the Fat Lady is, but someone might want to let her know her solo is imminent.

I got the same one!

Back