Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have threezero putting out Stranger Things kids, I think Blitzway would consider the kids in Afterlife.
Are they doing the ST kids in the Ghostbusters outfits?

I would find it strange if Blitzway were to just release the GB:AL Ecto-1 because they'll need to produce some figures—be it the kids, the aged up OG Busters or an '84 GB reissue—to drive sales (otherwise who's supposed to be driving the car?). Reissuing the '84 figures would seem somewhat strange if the car is going to be updated to the '21 look. However, BW also has to factor in who'll be buying. Are collectors going to want figures of tweens, teens and geriatrics in order to keep things screen and era accurate? Or will they want to go with nostalgia despite the anachronisms? I already have the original team and the '84 Ecto-1. If Blitzway releases the '21 Ecto without any supporting figures I would pass. My guess is there will be some figures from the movie it's just a question of how many and who.

That said, I'm sure Blitzway knows that the real money is still going to be in the OG team from the classic era. Not to mention they've already done the R&D. I think if they want to double dip the original team without causing too much of a backlash, they could release the '89 GB2 team and offer the tan jumpsuits as a deluxe upgrade. That would appease both original collectors (many of whom might pick up the GB2 set) as well as collectors who missed out the first time around or are newer to the hobby. Folks would still find something to b*tch and moan about (i.e. "forcing" me to buy the GB2 figures in order to get the GB1 suits, the new scupts are "better/worse/reuses", or XYZ is "not screen accurate" ). They'll never please everyone. However, going that route would probably give Blitzway the most potential sales.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another Men In Black: International . In that case though, while the prototypes looked nice, Blitzway hadn't produced any figures from the original MIB movies, so there wasn't an existing customer base. Not to mention they didn't have an Agent M and the movie bombed.

Ghostbusters is a much more valuable and important license to Blitzway. If they do a good job with it (i.e. release a good number of great looking figures in a reasonable time frame), it could conceivably get them back into the thick of things. Then maybe they could go after some decent second tier licenses like Jurassic Park/Jurassic World, Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049, The Fifth Element, Avatar (unless HT still has), etc. Given BW's glacial pace and anemic output I don't know how they've managed to stay around.

Are they doing the ST kids in the Ghostbusters outfits?

I would find it strange if Blitzway were to just release the GB:AL Ecto-1 because they'll need to produce some figures—be it the kids, the aged up OG Busters or an '84 GB reissue—to drive sales (otherwise who's supposed to be driving the car?). Reissuing the '84 figures would seem somewhat strange if the car is going to be updated to the '21 look. However, BW also has to factor in who'll be buying. Are collectors going to want figures of tweens, teens and geriatrics in order to keep things screen and era accurate? Or will they want to go with nostalgia despite the anachronisms? I already have the original team and the '84 Ecto-1. If Blitzway releases the '21 Ecto without any supporting figures I would pass. My guess is there will be some figures from the movie it's just a question of how many and who.

That said, I'm sure Blitzway knows that the real money is still going to be in the OG team from the classic era. Not to mention they've already done the R&D. I think if they want to double dip the original team without causing too much of a backlash, they could release the '89 GB2 team and offer the tan jumpsuits as a deluxe upgrade. That would appease both original collectors (many of whom might pick up the GB2 set) as well as collectors who missed out the first time around or are newer to the hobby. Folks would still find something to b*tch and moan about (i.e. "forcing" me to buy the GB2 figures in order to get the GB1 suits, the new scupts are "better/worse/reuses", or XYZ is "not screen accurate" ). They'll never please everyone. However, going that route would probably give Blitzway the most potential sales.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another Men In Black: International . In that case though, while the prototypes looked nice, Blitzway hadn't produced any figures from the original MIB movies, so there wasn't an existing customer base. Not to mention they didn't have an Agent M and the movie bombed.

Ghostbusters is a much more valuable and important license to Blitzway. If they do a good job with it (i.e. release a good number of great looking figures in a reasonable time frame), it could conceivably get them back into the thick of things. Then maybe they could go after some decent second tier licenses like Jurassic Park/Jurassic World, Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049, The Fifth Element, Avatar (unless HT still has), etc. Given BW's glacial pace and anemic output I don't know how they've managed to stay around.

It's Blitzway not Hot Toys. What they said is "Afterlife" so we should not expect anymore than that.

It's Blitzway not Hot Toys. What they said is "Afterlife" so we should not expect anymore than that.
Afterlife is my top preference at the moment, so I'm fine with that. Sony is probably requiring them to push the new movie, which makes sense. But I'm assuming Blitzway still has the full Ghostbusters license, so there may be some performance-based provisions. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Blitzway still has the license is due to them having produced the '84 Ecto-1. As much as I like the BW figures, a company like Dam Toys or ThreeZero could probably match the quality and produce more figures in a shorter time frame. However, producing a massive 1:6 vehicle is a different story. Blitzway would be smart to produce the Terror Dogs as those could work for both '84 and '21; they don't need to have outfits, accessories or much articulation; and most collectors would purchase two. Gozer is a little trickier. To me, '21 Gozer is not '84 Gozer. I'd definitely pick up '21 for the new setup, but I couldn't see displaying it with the '84 setup. For that, you need the Slavitza Jovan (riffing Sheena Easton) look, red eyes and bubble spandex unitard.

IMG_7464.jpg
IMG_7463.jpg
IMG_7462.jpg
IMG_7461.jpg

Love these guys!!!!

Compared to OG Ghostbusters, the kids don’t have that many accessories to pack in. I could see Phoebe with the Spengler Legacy pack and PKE meter being made as a stand-alone offering, and then any other kids being in deluxe upgrade sets. A four pack of kids and Muncher would still only require the Legacy pack as opposed to four packs for the 84 set. Podcast gets the ecto goggles and that whistle. He could get the RC trap and controller, but you could also argue that should be an Ecto accessory. Maybe some minipufts. A deluxe set of the kids would be relatively bare-bones in the accessory department.

But really, a Trevor figure is just a headsculpt, shorter body, baggy flight suit and shoes. Lucky is similar but has her necklace. Hasbro made a choice to give them packs that weren’t in the final cut (but I suspect maybe at one point there were scenes where they had their own packs that got edited out. The Hasbro Trevor figure has extra cable paint deco not on any other Hasbro packs that looks like a nod to the GB2 pack cables.) Trevor’s primary accessory is the Ecto. But I’m not convinced that either of these figures has enough critical accessories to warrant standalone releases.

The OGs had little interaction with the Ecto and while they would be popular stand-alone releases, I would think a marketing pushes to sell Afterlife Ectos would require at least Phoebe, Podcast, and Trevor releases. The Muncher chase was the major mid-movie bust sequence in the vein of the Slimer and Scoleri brothers captures and I think it makes sense to craft merchandise around it. But I think that the courtroom and Scoleri brother sequence is one of the best across all the GB films; and Mattel is the only modern company that’s bothered to do anything with it. So what the hell do I know.

Phoebe seems like a given since she was the central character and Egon's granddaughter. And she's also got a unique enough look with the hair and glasses that I can see it warranting a figure.

But the other kids I just don't see much figure potential in. They each had their moments but not enough that collectors are going to want to shell out $200 for them.

Maybe the new generation of young collectors would be interested in the kids. For many people Afterlife will be their first Ghostbusters movie. I would love to see a Janine, Louis or a more accurate Slimer.

Blitzway is a strange animal, and they make VERY strange choices.

A re issue would not be my first guess, as they really could have done that anytime and pretty much made the same sales. The new film is not going to change that….

I can see them diving into the new characters , probably more than needed.

I would think the best financial option is definetly the Terror Dogs, which I would buy in a hearbeat. AND if they are SMART they would sell them as singles because you KNOW most of use would have to buy 2.

If they really want to rip us off, make figures of the characters to go with each dog as a set, and double the prices….it would still sell…..

But its BW and and they do some weird stuff..

To clear up the reissue stuffs. I'm really hoping we'll see a GB2 set with slime blower.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.
We are sorry to tell you that the product will not produce more after it's sold out.
Maybe there are new product of them but it's not confirm right now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks."

Best Regards,
Blitzway

To clear up the reissue stuffs. I'm really hoping we'll see a GB2 set with slime blower.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.
We are sorry to tell you that the product will not produce more after it's sold out.
Maybe there are new product of them but it's not confirm right now.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks."

Best Regards,
Blitzway

Good to know. At least we won't be seeing the '84 Ghostbusters and Ecto-1 suffering the same fate as many popular figures of the past, languishing around on the Sideshow website for years at a discount. Well done Blitzway👏.

Now bring on some terror dogs!

This is why I've felt that GB2 was the more likely play for the young versions of the original team. I know it's a pain to miss out on figures and be at the mercy of the secondary, but I find Blitzway's commitment to its collectors more honorable than Hot Toys's.

I don't know if there are any major differences in the Ecto-1 between movies, so who knows if there would be a GB2 Ecto. Not something I'd be interested in personally, although I'd definitely pick up the GB2 figures and would have no problem if BW released deluxe versions that included the tan jumpsuits.

Back