Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't justify the Ecto-1 before, and won't be able to justify it now. But if they do Gozer and some demon dogs. . . . . . .

I would prefer the originals with new sculpts if they were to do re-issues, but that hasn't been Blitzway's MO to this point that I'm aware of, so I wouldn't bet on '84 figures happening again.

Really liked Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It started out a bit slow, but found its footing about 25 minutes in and only got stronger right up to the end.
I felt the opposite. I enjoyed the first section of the film, thinking it was an interesting and different take on the Ghostbusters universe, but got turned off by all the nostalgia-pandering later on.

Based on the announcement, I assumed that Blitzway will be doing the kids, and possibly old man Ghostbusters from the new film. And that may be a workaround to give us another Venkman, Ray, etc. They do show footage from the first film in that movie, as well. Maybe even "We're Ready to Believe You!" versions.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how much demand there is to do re-issues. These didn't all sell out immediately on first release. Some missed out and are clamoring for them now, but this isn't like Iron Man or Star Wars where the demand is through the roof. Having said that, doing figures from the new movie sounds like a pretty bad business move to me. How many of us want Egon's grand-daughter and girlfriend from the diner on the shelf? We will see!

Actually now that you mention it, I would totally love a set of figures in their commercial outfits... just holding random equipment for no reason. 😄

ghostbusters.jpg

There is a huge demand for reissues but I feel BW should play it smart. If they have the license for GB2 they should release all four in their grey suits and the two Slime Blower (Ray & Winston). Once BW is counting their money and decide they want more…….rerelease the originals!

The Slime Blowers might be cool but I never cared for those dark gray jumpsuits (which were only really worn in a brief montage). If I were to get any figures from GB2 I'd rather it be them in their suits from the court room scene, as it was a much more fun and memorable scene.

In fact I'm kinda wishing now I had picked up a 2nd Venkman so I could make that custom, as he actually looks pretty badass here.

MV5BMjE5NDkwODI0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI1OTc0MTE@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Why?

I could understand this ONLY if the reissues were better and less expensive.

Because collectors spend lots of time and money accumulating this stuff and it's not only a slap in the face to them, but also completely undermines the pizzaz and value of the collectibles themselves. See HT MK 47, Sideshow Grievous, etc etc for reference. Reissues diminish the fun of collecting, the collectibles aren't as special anymore.

Nobody is entitled to buy whatever they want whenever they want at retail. The run sells through and that should be it. After that go find it third party if you want it badly enough. I want a '63 split window Corvette but Chevy won't make me one and nobody out there will sell me one for the $4k it cost in 1963. So boo hoo for me, if I want one I have to work my @ss off to pay for it.

Yeah I can't deny the Mk 47 reissue has completely destroyed whatever appeal and value that figure used to have. Although to be fair the Ghostbusters are a very different thing and should still be just as cool and fun to have in the collection regardless of how many times BW reissues them. And of course it's their license so they're free to make as much money off of it as they want. And with all the hype of the new movie it would be silly of them not to take advantage of that.

Really liked Ghostbusters: Afterlife. It started out a bit slow, but found its footing about 25 minutes in and only got stronger right up to the end. I remember watching the original Ghostbusters in the theater with my best friend. I didn't see GB2 until years later when it came out on VHS, and have never rewatched. Never had an interest in the 2016 version.

Although I had been skeptical when it was announced, and the marketing didn't do the movie any favors, I think GB:AL is the fun and fitting sequel fans have been waiting for. It also sets the groundwork for the franchise going forward, provided it has a solid premise and good world building; respects the tone and heart of the original movie; and keeps Aykroyd and the Reitmans involved.

I was not into Ghostbusters growing up, but it meant a lot to my spouse. She was worried about Afterlife, but I was excited to watch it with her after researching the general fan and critical consensus. Afterlife definitely had a huge emotional impact.

Jason Reitman definitely played to his own strengths with the coming of age genre, but I think it worked because the film takes a reverential tone towards the franchise which I was fine with. But that's something you either like or don't.

I wish it had a bit more satirical bite to it like the originals, and the first act could've been condensed a bit. After the intro, it should've just started off driving to Summerville and the trap test, proton pack test, and Muncher factory scenes should've been just one sequence instead of three.

Otherwise it was a solid movie and a fitting tribute to Harold Ramis.

Personally, if Blitzway does reissue these figures or does something else with the franchise, then awesome. My opinion on reissues is split as I understand both sides of the argument.

But I'd love to get figures for her knowing how much it means. Same goes for any fans that missed out the first time as well. If the item wasn't intended to be a numbered, limited edition, then I think it's okay if it's made available again.

Straight reissues suck. Give us improved, upgraded versions! Hot Toys has done it many, many times; TDK Joker, for example.

Who wouldn't want 2.0 versions of the "Aliens" Colonial Marines? I've got several of the originals, which I've spent time and money upgrading but would still jump at the chance to get new versions with today's updated tech.

I'll be honest and admit that I don't have the original GB figures and would love to obtain a set.

I pre-ordered the whole batch, and I'm happy with them. If they released 'improved versions' just a few years later, I would be pretty disappointed. They were already great figures, they don't need improvements. The only acceptable solution would be new sculpts for GB2 versions, or Afterlife versions.

That's how this hobby works, if you don't pre-order, you run the risk of missing out.

After the endless debate in this thread of how Zeddemore wasn't a 'real' Ghostbuster, and people debating who did or didn't count, I get a kick out of the people complaining in this thread about how they missed out, or are trying to find a Zeddmore. Pre-orders were open for a year, there was plenty of time for people to get in if they wanted a set. There are no excuses, if you want one now, and couldn't get in on the pre-order, you pay the price on the secondary market.

I pre-ordered the whole batch, and I'm happy with them. If they released 'improved versions' just a few years later, I would be pretty disappointed. They were already great figures, they don't need improvements. The only acceptable solution would be new sculpts for GB2 versions, or Afterlife versions.

That's how this hobby works, if you don't pre-order, you run the risk of missing out.

After the endless debate in this thread of how Zeddemore wasn't a 'real' Ghostbuster, and people debating who did or didn't count, I get a kick out of the people complaining in this thread about how they missed out, or are trying to find a Zeddmore. Pre-orders were open for a year, there was plenty of time for people to get in if they wanted a set. There are no excuses, if you want one now, and couldn't get in on the pre-order, you pay the price on the secondary market.
I distinctly remember several people saying the same thing, at that time. "Zeddmore will end up being the most in-demand figure..."

I'm in agreement that if you snooze, you lose but I still would welcome upgraded figures, perhaps like what Asmus does with their "Slim" releases. They updated the head sculpt but did not include certain accessories from the original release.

I distinctly remember several people saying the same thing, at that time. "Zeddmore will end up being the most in-demand figure..."

I'm in agreement that if you snooze, you lose but I still would welcome upgraded figures, perhaps like what Asmus does with their "Slim" releases. They updated the head sculpt but did not include certain accessories from the original release.

I had no problem with the recent Marty McFly figure. It's a different sculpt and I was intrigued enough to buy it despite owning the original. So I'm not saying never make Ghostbusters figures again, I'm saying change something, improve something if you want to go back to the well.

ghostbusters.jpg

Agreed! That was I wanted to stress, too. Don't just reissue the same figures, as that would indeed "water down" the original releases specialness.

Provide changes such as different head sculpts, at the very least, but make them different enough to warrant a new release and make them special in their own right. Was it Blitzway or another company that showed Venkman in a suit but never released him? I think it was a different company.

Agreed! That was I wanted to stress, too. Don't just reissue the same figures, as that would indeed "water down" the original releases specialness.

Provide changes such as different head sculpts, at the very least, but make them different enough to warrant a new release and make them special in their own right. Was it Blitzway or another company that showed Venkman in a suit but never released him? I think it was a different company.

Yes, Soldier Story showed suit versions. Darklord Dave told us that they didn't have the license, which seemed odd, because they released pictures with all the legalese, but it seems that he was right, because they never materialized.

I think if Blitzway released suit versions with the old heads, I might be okay with that. I just don't think I'd be okay with new heads on the old figures ... not that Blitzway is asking for my permission. I just don't want to feel the urge to buy the loose upgraded heads. It feels like being punished for supporting the line in the first place.

I know the heads softened a bit in production, and the expressions were a bit more stern than one would expect from a relatively light-hearted movie, so I'd really rather not see new 'happy' heads that are more fitting for the characters. Which is probably something they should've done in the first place. It feels like rewarding the people who waited it out.

Even if they rereleased the figures from the first film with “updated” sculpts with different expressions, I personally don’t think I’d feel the urge to get them. I never really had any major issues with the sculpts outside of a few small quibbles; the main two being Winston’s paint apps being too dark and Venkman’s head being slightly too bulbous, but those are minor. All of the actual likenesses I feel are good, with Venkman’s being the weakest imo which even then, I don’t think it completely misses the mark and is still a pretty good portrait.

I know it’s a lighthearted film, but I actually like the more serious expressions the sculpts bear. Egon never really wore an expression outside of a stoic expression or an expression that looks like he’s analyzing something (which I feel the current sculpt’s expression is). Venkman’s looks like it’s straight from the scene when he saw Slimer, and Ray’s and Winston’s imo resemble the scene when they first saw Gozer. Campy expressions imo tend to limit posing options as you have to pose it exactly in a way that fits the expression, otherwise it looks awkward. I’ve had my four all in the same pose since I got them, which is the scene from when the portal opened and they first saw Gozer, and the current expressions I feel work nicely for that.

I’d be in the overall camp of if they reissue the first figures, do it in such a way that offers something new (sculpt with a new expression), but doesn’t include certain goodies from the first release. But you almost might as well make the 2021 versions in that case. Delving into GBII might be interesting as well, as it’d require new sculpts anyway while at the same time offering a different look and some different accessories.

With all the “wishing I got Winston now,” I’m glad I snagged him at the last minute. I initially PO’d the three pack because that seemed lighter on the wallet to start with then figured I could pick up Winston later if I wanted, but then after initially being sold out of the single Winston figure, about a month before these released BBTS suddenly had one PO available for it again and I immediately got it.

Well to be fair the likeness and paint job on Winston did leave a lot to be desired. In fact the sculpts have always looked a bit too caricaturish for my taste, so I would totally be down for some upgraded versions.

I’m not exactly thrilled that Afterlife was terrible, but at least I won’t have to stress out over buying this for two years like the last one.

Having said that, if they made an Ecto-1A…

Back