Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't that the point about Rachel? She's unique -- no expiration date.

According to the theatrical cut yes but in the Director's and Final Cuts she does not have an open-ended lifespan. So even if she survived giving birth she would have only lasted another year or two tops. The opening text of BR 2049 states that open-ended lifespans began with the Nexus 7 models.

According to the theatrical cut yes but in the Director's and Final Cuts she does not have an open-ended lifespan. So even if she survived giving birth she would have only lasted another year or two tops. The opening text of BR 2049 states that open-ended lifespans began with the Nexus 7 models.

Ah, but Rachael wasn't Nexus 6, was she? Nor, for that matter, would Deckard be.

In the novel she was, and I'm pretty sure she was in the movie too. If you want Deckard to be a replicant then according to BR 2049 you'd have to assume that he was one of the first Nexus 7's.

In the movie I believe Rachael was an experimental nexus 7 which is why she took over 100 questions to identify whereas a nexus 6 would usually take between 20 and 30 questions.

Well then, we have to establish rules of engagement here! :lol

For me Final Cut is canon. No novels, no earlier cuts.

I agree. The movies are the movies and the book is the book. However in instances where they don't necessarily contradict each other (like the replicant model #'s) I don't mind falling back to the novel.

There's nothing wrong with assuming that Rachael and Deckard were Nexus 7's but didn't BR 2049 call out that the 7's and 8's were developed by Wallace after he absorbed Tyrell Corporation? Or were those models pre-Wallace?

Another great moment is when Lt. Joshi remarks how he has got along fine without a soul so far, the way the camera lingers on his nonchalant and impassive gaze back yet there is conflict and longing etched all over his face. A wonderfully nuanced moment in a film full of them.

Agreed. I really liked the silent changes to K's demeanor throughout the film as his motivations evolved, particularly with regard to how he composed himself while driving his spinner. He was catatonic for his opening two flights (living only for duty and routine), expressive when accompanied by Joi (living for another person), until ultimately expressing convicted determination when zeroing in on the spinners transporting Deckard (living for an ideal.)

Hampton Fancher (who contributed to the script of both BR films) said that one of the main themes of BR was quantity of life (how can I live longer) while BR 2049 was more about quality of life (how can I live better.) You really see that play out with Batty's rooftop epiphany serving as an elegant bridge between the two themes.

Last edited:
Too bad for those who did such a great job making it but good news for those of us who want there to be just two amazing films and no more.

At $223 million worldwide at least it's earning more than GITS and Valerian. It still needs another $17 million to pass ALIEN Covenant though.

Last edited:
So in a world where there is no open-ended life-span, you guys are assuming Deckard is a replicant with an open-ended life-span even though he's been around for quite some time even in the BR2019?

Rachel was supposed to be a new kind of replicant. But you think Deckard was first?

Not only that but he would have also been so special as to have been engineered with functioning sperm. With that logic then you'd pretty much have to assume that Tyrell also orchestrated Batty's mutiny and Holden's hospitalization in order to get Rachael and Deckard together. Quite an odd web for him to weave if you want to believe all that.

In the book Rachael's purpose was to pretend to help human blade runners before seducing and sleeping with them in order to make them lose their nerve for hunting androids. While movie Rachael was different I prefer to keep the theme of her coupling with a human.

Last edited:
Yeah. It seems like a quaint notion to entertain for a moment, until logic destroys the premise of Deckard as a replicant.

That's, plus the whole notion of 'what it is to be human -- what it is to have "life"' is lost unless Deckard IS human.

I also like the idea that BR2049 is a role-reversal from human to replicant -- where the 'dilemma of existence' and the 'burden of a soul' is explored from the other side.

I also like the idea that BR2049 is a role-reversal from human to replicant -- where the 'dilemma of existence' and the 'burden of a soul' is explored from the other side.

Agreed.

Ridley laughs at you.

Ridley thinks that Deckard is a replicant and that the characters in ALIEN Covenant are geniuses, lol.

Yeah. It seems like a quaint notion to entertain for a moment, until logic destroys the premise of Deckard as a replicant.

That's, plus the whole notion of 'what it is to be human -- what it is to have "life"' is lost unless Deckard IS human.

Completely agree.

Back