Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios Acquires James Bond License

For me only Rog.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

OHMSS is very 1969. Does have a great score though. And one of the best posters.

So jumping back to the LALD figures from Big Chief for a moment... is anyone getting them all?

I'm definitely getting Roger. And I will likely get Solitaire. Not feeling Baron Samedi and his night club attire. Would be my first non-purchase for Big Chief's Bond line-up.

What are you guys thinking?

Space, or a lack of it, means I am only getting the James Bond figs they release. I would of thought Kananga is the main bad guy from L&LD? Although Samedi is still alive and well at the end of the film.
A bad guy I might consider getting is Max Zorin as I think Walken is probably the best actor to play a bad guy in the series.

I'm quite certain you must have been at an age where Brosnan worked for you. By the time he came along I had been thru Connery (the Master) and Moore (the Comedian) and Dalton (the Forgotten)... and Brosnan seemed way too skinny to throw a punch and that big pompadour hair drove me nuts. Despite dialogue, he didn't seem particularly charming nor sarcastic nor dangerous. I think that's why Craig works -- he's frickin' dangerous if nothing else.

Yes, Craig is the screen Bond most like Fleming's. I love that moment in QOS when he kills the guy then checks his pulse to make sure he's dead.

Brosnan had some dangerous moments. In TWINE he was at his most murderous - that look to camera in the opening sequence and the classic 'I never miss' line. Not to mention that sneering 'she's waiting for you' to Renard. But there was more of a fantasy element to his films, they were built around him and Craig wouldn't have worked in them just as he wouldn't have worked in Craig's.

Buy hey -- its Bond! Almost any Bond is entertaining.

I love all Connery Bonds (I don't count NSNA)

I love all Lazenby films. :lol

Moore: LALD, MWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO, AVTAK (I do not care for Moonraker or Octopussy as mentioned)

I get the two Dalton film's confused and consequently don't like either.

Brosnan: GE, I shamefully add DAD (I do not care for TWINE or TND - though this movie has one of the best scores ever)

Craig: CR, SF (out is Quantum and Spectre)

So jumping back to the LALD figures from Big Chief for a moment... is anyone getting them all?

I'm definitely getting Roger. And I will likely get Solitaire. Not feeling Baron Samedi and his night club attire. Would be my first non-purchase for Big Chief's Bond line-up.

What are you guys thinking?

At this point, I'm planning on purchasing all three LALD figures. :)

I know that you aren't a fan of the white outfit on the Samedi figure, but as I mentioned before, I would have been shocked if the figure was in anything else. This white outfit, to me, is the most iconic look for Baron Samedi. However, my view has been heavily influenced by the Bond video games, which always seem to showcase Samedi in this particular outfit. :lol

Baron Samedi. However, my view has been heavily influenced by the Bond video games, which always seem to showcase Samedi in this particular outfit. :lol

Yes, I never played any Bond video games -- unfortunately -- so my memory of him is more from that final fight scene (in his skeleton paint). The only time he was confrontational with Bond in the movie.

I'll have to see the final figure of course, but unless he comes with a surprise -- like a change of clothes -- I think I may save the room for that anticipated Dr. No figure.

I'm quite certain you must have been at an age where Brosnan worked for you. By the time he came along I had been thru Connery (the Master) and Moore (the Comedian) and Dalton (the Forgotten)... and Brosnan seemed way too skinny to throw a punch and that big pompadour hair drove me nuts. Despite dialogue, he didn't seem particularly charming nor sarcastic nor dangerous. I think that's why Craig works -- he's frickin' dangerous if nothing else.

Yeah Brosnan definitely felt a bit lightweight at the time, and seemed to lack that dangerousness he needed, but rewatching his movies again recently I found myself liking him a lot more. He had a real swagger and slickness to him that was a lot of fun to watch, and his Bond always made everything look so damn cool and effortless. I think the bigger issue was just with how overly comic booky they had decided to make those movies for some reason.

Buy hey -- its Bond! Almost any Bond is entertaining.

I love all Connery Bonds (I don't count NSNA)

I love all Lazenby films. :lol

Moore: LALD, MWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO, AVTAK (I do not care for Moonraker or Octopussy as mentioned)

Brosnan: GE, I shamefully add DAD (I do not care for TWINE or TND - though this movie has one of the best scores ever)

Craig: CR, SF (out is Quantum and Spectre)

That's a pretty good list. If you've ever read the books, the only ones which followed the plots almost exactly, were Connery's Dr. No and FRWL (my personal favorite), and Lazenby's OHMSS; but the guy who represented the character the closest in both looks and demeanor, was Dalton.

Much like Connery himself, I think Goldfinger was the beginning of the end of the intelligent spy film; Connery was displeased with how the movies became less about the character being a "detective", and more about a guy relying on stupid gadgets.

As a kid I liked most of Moore's early Bond films, but I think his personal best was FYEO, as it is the only one that actually was more serious, and had the fewest gadgets (if it wasn't for the absolutely crap acting of Lynn Holly Johnson, I think it would be as good as DR. N and FRWL).

I agree with both of the Craig films. I particularly disliked Spectre as that had to be the most worthless Blofeld (sad, because they had a really good actor in the part), ever written. His entire back-story is so far removed from what had been previously established, and had absolutely nothing in common with the character in the books ("Oh, boo hoo. My daddy brought someone else into our house, so I'm going to grow up, kill my father, and spend the rest of my life building an international criminal organization to get back at that other kid!" Seriously?! What kind of pansy-@$$ crap is that! Whoever wrote that garbage should be dragged into the streets and beaten about the head and shoulders with a golf club.)

How can anyone not like License to Kill? The whole final sequence from the minute he throws the flaming beaker to the final tanker truck explosion is just crazy awesome.

I agree with both of the Craig films. I particularly disliked Spectre as that had to be the most worthless Blofeld (sad, because they had a really good actor in the part), ever written. His entire back-story is so far removed from what had been previously established, and had absolutely nothing in common with the character in the books ("Oh, boo hoo. My daddy brought someone else into our house, so I'm going to grow up, kill my father, and spend the rest of my life building an international criminal organization to get back at that other kid!" Seriously?! What kind of pansy-@$$ crap is that! Whoever wrote that garbage should be dragged into the streets and beaten about the head and shoulders with a golf club.)

:lol

Yeah, I was beyond disappointed with Spectre. Everything they did, they ruined. That should be their ad: Everything he touches turns to crap. For instance, they had the potential for a great car chase, and what do they do? Focus on a phone call that's not even funny while MP looks in her fridge.

I did like FYEO when it opened for the reasons most people like it; it was more grounded. But years later I find it kind of boring -- except for the excellent cliff climbing sequence. Also, Kristatos is a wholly unmemorable villain. That said, Glover has the distinction of being a villain in Bond, Star Wars AND Indiana Jones. Considering his mild acting ability, that's very impressive.

I've also heard that Dalton is the most like Bond in the books. But I also heard that Fleming was so pleased with Connery as Bond. Movies are very different creatures than books; one linear, the other dynamic -- they must take different paths.

How can anyone not like License to Kill? The whole final sequence from the minute he throws the flaming beaker to the final tanker truck explosion is just crazy awesome.

That truck chase was good. But that was about it. And Felix losing a leg. And that's it. I don't remember anything else. Oh, and the short haired girl was cute. And that's it. The truck chase, Felix's leg, and the short haired girl. And that's it.

Dalton could have been a fantastic Bond and I loved the edge he brought to it, but his movies were just way too grim and serious and lacking in any kind of fun.

... lacking in any kind of fun.

Yes, that's exactly how I felt in 1987 and 1989 watching them, especially after comedic Moore. It was just too serious. As ridiculously serious as Moore was ridiculously comedic.

His style did come around though 20 years later with Craig.

Yeah but even the Craig movies (especially CR and Skyfall) have some moments of fun and humor to balance things out a bit, along with the kind of flashy style you expect to see in a Bond movie. The Dalton movies had hardly any of that, and were more like just grim, generic 80s action movies with a very grim british agent running around in them.

Yeah but even the Craig movies (especially CR and Skyfall) have some moments of fun and humor to balance things out a bit, along with the kind of flashy style you expect to see in a Bond movie. The Dalton movies had hardly any of that, and were more like just grim, generic 80s action movies with a very grim british agent running around in them.

I totally agree. They were drab. As were his villains and most of his women. Nothing exciting or sexy about those movies.

At least Craig brought sexy back.

:goodpost::exactly:

Back