Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, and I know what a tough marker you are (Teacher talk).
My Solitaire arrived today, and Bond or Baron are arriving tomorrow.
If I can ever get away from prepping all this online learning, I can open up Solitaire !!!

I agree about the gun, it looks like something from a 1970's Action Man figure. The Bond sculpt with a good paint app would be 10/10 imo, as is its more 7/10. A good paint app is so important.
BCS Connery was massively let down by a poor paint app. BCS are getting there but still fall short.

Yeah, I don’t have mine yet, but the gun doesn’t look the best. It has a cheap toy look to it if you ask me. Wouldn’t mind finding a replacement.

The gun in the DID set is awesome, but the wrong color.
In mean time, unboxed Solitaire.
My opinion: it’s a stunning figure
The addition of the table make this an instant favorite as you get amazing presence right away.
The cards are the icing on the cake. Love it,

84008929-7C50-4921-8578-7B4786438F42.jpeg
57E985C9-940C-4DAE-9B35-391134322A94.jpeg
52AC9621-B36B-4F70-8311-1701831C0E0D.jpeg
70E4C4B6-6BDA-43A8-9820-1CF5C71C79B4.jpeg

I would say they kind of hit the QMX trek level with quality and finishing and tailoring. all mediocre to good but not amazing. I think the reason why I'm soft on Trek more than this line is because I know Trek is/was a pretty much one man operation in Nanjin and he pushed that company to the max.

but I also am soft on them because they cost a lot less than these. I'm the furthest thing from a "for the price..." guy but it does matter when it comes to how I judge figures. These have a few more unique accessories than the Treks but the cost is mostly going into the box which is beautiful, the light up base etc. The Bond fan in me appreciates the box. The collector in me does not. I have five billion figures and I don't want to have to find a new apartment because solitaire's box takes up half of it. Nothing is better than having all your trek crew's boxes take up the space of one of the Bond boxes even if they look ****, but I digress.

So money aside, I just don't think its in Big Cheifs reign of possibility to actually be any better than they are. QMX, Threezero, Big chief, these are the companies making figures of stuff I want but can't get to a hot toys quality no matter what the price is... aside from Hot Toys which is going to give you Star Wars which I want some of and Marvel which I want much less of (seriously one decent captain America from one of those damn movies is more than enough) and a random one off character from a line every few years like a Neo or whatever. Hot Toys is flawed too but after all this time, still no one can touch them. Enterbay is gone and Blitzway is generally great but basically non existent.

With all their flaws, delays and disappointments Big chief may still be the best possibility to actually get Bond figures. And that includes custom figures. I could open up an interest list for a Dr No head tomorrow and 3 of us 6 guys would sign up. the rest would not want to spend 100 plus on a head only, worry about how they would get an outfit especially if it meant hundreds more, worry about who would paint it or just generally not want a custom figure.

So I'll criticize when it's warranted, praise when it's warranted but mostly I'm pretty thankful for this line and I will support it by buying all that they make because I really, really, want it to continue.

I have some of my most needs already made as customs which is why I'm omitting some key people but my personal must haves and I won't stop until I get them are : Dalton Bond, Lazenby Bond, jet pack Connery, Q, Red Grant, Jaws, Blofeld (presence and Mayne Waltz) Honey Rider, Xenioa Onnatop, Alec Trevelyan, Vesper Lynd, ***** Galore, May Day, Scaramanga (and all his nipples), Fiona Volpe, Largo, Agent XXX and honorable mention Rosa Klebb. Those are all essentials to me. The rest are bonus ;)

Not listed because I have them but totally worthy of mass offerings are Craig Bond, Goldeeye Brosnan Bond (in suit and fatigues) Le Chifre, tux Moore, Raul Silva

What is particularly interesting is how for the most part when questioning the abilities of a particular company, many members actually arrive at the answers without realising it. Allow me to explain...

Why has no company achieved the lofty heights of quality that Hot Toys delivers? Hot Toys have a decade’s head start on other companies. This has seen them afforded the best licenses by licensors, literally handed deals on a plate. All other companies are left scrapping over the same smaller licenses. As such they are able to produce and sell greater volume runs, which means costs are amortised over a higher number reducing cost per piece. Unit price on a small run is very, very high, meaning that the selling price has to be high for everyone in the chain to have their slice of pie.

Higher volumes mean you get much better attention from factories eager for your business. With low volume runs many factories are simply not so keen. It takes time for workers to get up to speed on say a head for example. As such the scrap rate is very high, which is not so much of an issue for higher volumes, but factories are less interested in small runs. Try asking a factory to print the eyes on a head rather than hand paint them. Printed eyes look very realistic, but they are difficult to manufacture and they cost a lot.

We all want the final product to be better than the prototype and seldom achieve it. In short factories are mass producing a quantity of prototypes. Problem is that they require constant management and supervision to ensure that is what they deliver.

Pricing is calculated in different ways by manufacturers. Some elect to combine their tool spend with their overhead and calculate the selling price based on the product cost only. Truth is every figure has specific tooling requirements and costs, so masking these costs to arrive at a lower selling price is simply not an accurate method. Tooling has to be paid for one way or another.

Star Trek has been mentioned on a number of occasions, but are we to see any more from this line or any other from QMX for that matter? I do hope so, but if not I know why and it does not take a degree in math to figure it out.

The sad truth is that whilst the 1:6 scale community might be holding steady, the market is decreasing. The big licenses are not selling the numbers that they once did. Ask yourself why are delivery times getting longer, not shorter? Pre-sales are vital to the category. No one, and I mean no one can afford to have this kind of product sitting in the warehouse. Ask yourself why are prices increasing? See reduced volumes above...

Anyone entering the 1:6 space is in for a difficult ride for sure. Sales are not where they realistically should be and in the current climate and state the world is in, are not likely to improve any time soon. With no new "major players" in the offing and Z rated comic book characters few have heard of or care about, there is little to excite collectors. Expect companies to go retro and that means small runs, increased costs, longer production / delivery times.

I for one hope for a turnaround, and promise you we will continue to push our vendors to improve their output.

What is particularly interesting is how for the most part when questioning the abilities of a particular company, many members actually arrive at the answers without realising it. Allow me to explain...

Why has no company achieved the lofty heights of quality that Hot Toys delivers? Hot Toys have a decade?s head start on other companies. This has seen them afforded the best licenses by licensors, literally handed deals on a plate. All other companies are left scrapping over the same smaller licenses. As such they are able to produce and sell greater volume runs, which means costs are amortised over a higher number reducing cost per piece. Unit price on a small run is very, very high, meaning that the selling price has to be high for everyone in the chain to have their slice of pie.

Higher volumes mean you get much better attention from factories eager for your business. With low volume runs many factories are simply not so keen. It takes time for workers to get up to speed on say a head for example. As such the scrap rate is very high, which is not so much of an issue for higher volumes, but factories are less interested in small runs. Try asking a factory to print the eyes on a head rather than hand paint them. Printed eyes look very realistic, but they are difficult to manufacture and they cost a lot.

We all want the final product to be better than the prototype and seldom achieve it. In short factories are mass producing a quantity of prototypes. Problem is that they require constant management and supervision to ensure that is what they deliver.

Pricing is calculated in different ways by manufacturers. Some elect to combine their tool spend with their overhead and calculate the selling price based on the product cost only. Truth is every figure has specific tooling requirements and costs, so masking these costs to arrive at a lower selling price is simply not an accurate method. Tooling has to be paid for one way or another.

Star Trek has been mentioned on a number of occasions, but are we to see any more from this line or any other from QMX for that matter? I do hope so, but if not I know why and it does not take a degree in math to figure it out.

The sad truth is that whilst the 1:6 scale community might be holding steady, the market is decreasing. The big licenses are not selling the numbers that they once did. Ask yourself why are delivery times getting longer, not shorter? Pre-sales are vital to the category. No one, and I mean no one can afford to have this kind of product sitting in the warehouse. Ask yourself why are prices increasing? See reduced volumes above...

Anyone entering the 1:6 space is in for a difficult ride for sure. Sales are not where they realistically should be and in the current climate and state the world is in, are not likely to improve any time soon. With no new "major players" in the offing and Z rated comic book characters few have heard of or care about, there is little to excite collectors. Expect companies to go retro and that means small runs, increased costs, longer production / delivery times.

I for one hope for a turnaround, and promise you we will continue to push our vendors to improve their output.

Still no excuse for putting such a poor gun in a 230 pound set, these things cant be that hard to get right. How do you know the 1/6 market is decreasing? Nearly every market is decreasing at the moment, so why not 1/6 Action figs. Maybe your market is decreasing because people dont like paying over the odds for some of the sub par stuff you produce, especially when they see you almost giving the Golfinger figs away.

As you said though 'No one, and I mean no one can afford to have this kind of product sitting in the warehouse'.

Still no excuse for putting such a poor gun in a 230 pound set, these things cant be that hard to get right. How do you know the 1/6 market is decreasing? Nearly every market is decreasing at the moment, so why not 1/6 Action figs. Maybe your market is decreasing because people dont like paying over the odds for some of the sub par stuff you produce, especially when they see you almost giving the Golfinger figs away.

As you said though 'No one, and I mean no one can afford to have this kind of product sitting in the warehouse'.

What’s the point?

Outta here.

Mods close our account, this community is infected.

I will give this to BCS, their Connery fig was very nice...

Once I got it off that terrible body
Bought a new suit
and got the head repainted

Never mind being 10 years behind HT, BCS are light years away.

What?s the point?

Outta here.

I hope you reconsider! I do appreciate you and Greg coming in and giving insight and i know the peanut gallery is tough to handle and I?m a much to blame for that as any other (and probably moreso lol) but as I said I?m one of the biggest most passionate supporters of this line. I can see how the feedback helped your product step up big time Already in wave 2 and it?s clear your new production improvements paid off which must be especially satisfactory given the challenges for a small business to find quality factory work as you indicated.

Keep it up, keep improving the product as you have been and we will keep buying! And for the record it really does help earn trust with us when you share insight and speak up so don?t hesitate to stop by and do that. We appreciate it and you?re doing a great job with that.

Why has no company achieved the lofty heights of quality that Hot Toys delivers? Hot Toys have a decade’s head start on other companies. This has seen them afforded the best licenses by licensors, literally handed deals on a plate. All other companies are left scrapping over the same smaller licenses. As such they are able to produce and sell greater volume runs, which means costs are amortised over a higher number reducing cost per piece. Unit price on a small run is very, very high, meaning that the selling price has to be high for everyone in the chain to have their slice of pie.

Thanks for the insightful commentary on the industry. I really appreciate when companies come in here (or any other forum) and interact with the customers.
I've heard/read a lot of what you've said in comments by other people within the industry, so I'm fairly certain things are not rosy in the 1/6 world, and the current state of the world is only going to make things worse.

Sorry man, but I think you're being unnecessarily antagonistic.

What’s the point?

Outta here.

I hope you reconsider, a lot of people really do appreciate your coming in here.

I hope you reconsider! I do appreciate you and Greg coming in and giving insight and i know the peanut gallery is tough to handle and I?m a much to blame for that as any other (and probably moreso lol) but as I said I?m one of the biggest most passionate supporters of this line. I can see how the feedback helped your product step up big time Already in wave 2 and it?s clear your new production improvements paid off which must be especially satisfactory given the challenges for a small business to find quality factory work as you indicated.

Keep it up, keep improving the product as you have been and we will keep buying! And for the record it really does help earn trust with us when you share insight and speak up so don?t hesitate to stop by and do that. We appreciate it and you?re doing a great job with that.

Agreed.

What?s the point?

Outta here.

I enjoy your insights for what it’s worth. I think the Live and Let Die figures were a big improvement over the Goldfinger ones personally. Looking forward to my Moore Bond eventually. Also pretty excited about the Dr. No figures.

Back